by MickyFin
Explorer

Trouble with new smart hub. Reconfiguring DHCP server on hub causes problems

I have just received a new EE Smart Hub and wanted it to simply replace my existing Sky Hub, using my own long-standing IP addressing configuration.  On the Smart Hub manager I can get to My Network | Change Settings okay, but then I cannot change the default IP and DHCP settings.  It allows me to change the Hub gateway IP address, but then will not allow the DHCP to be enabled.  If I change the Server address range from other than the defaults and then attempt to save the changes it then returns an error message.

The older BrightBox2 allows this sort of configuration to be carried out with ease, but not the new Smart Hub.  It's not so smart after all.

Has anyone else had this problem?

4 REPLIES 4
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Trouble with new smart hub. Reconfiguring DHCP server on hub causes problem

If I remember correctly you need to change DHCP Range before changing the Gateway IP.

No, it's not smart at all. It's just a marketing word. Forget the SH & use the BB2. It's far richer functionally.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: Trouble with new smart hub. Reconfiguring DHCP server on hub causes problems

Hi @MickyFin

Welcome to the community. 🙂

Did @XRaySpeX's advice help?

Please come back and let us know what's happening.

Chris

by MickyFin
Explorer

Re: Trouble with new smart hub. Reconfiguring DHCP server on hub causes problems

In the 'IPv4 Configuration' you have to disable DHCP before you can successfully change the Gateway IP to anything that is not in the two default DHCP ranges (172 and 192) that it presents to you.  Example 150.10.10.10.  You then save the changes, with no DHCP.  You cannot then enable DHCP without the error box appearing.

The SH is only useful to me as a dumb Hub to extend the network using another router as the main gateway, thus gaining a couple of extra wired ports.

The point about the BB2 having richer functionality is well taken.

I phoned EE and the best that I got from the networking team was that 'we don't support changes to the SH outside the default setting', which was not very helpful.  The fact is that there is a fault on the device preventing you from doing the very basic stuff that you can do on any other router in the land.  I told them that the old BB2 (from a previous EE contract) will allow me to do what I want, but not the SH. It's crazy!.

So now I have the BB2 as the master and the SH as the dumb slave.  It does not give me the same overall breadth of control as I previously had using a Sky Hub as a master and the BB2 as the slave.  In this combination I was able to enable DHCP on both devices and split the WiFi traffic between the two, and use different WiFi channels as well.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@MickyFin wrote:

In the 'IPv4 Configuration' you have to disable DHCP before you can successfully change the Gateway IP to anything that is not in the two default DHCP ranges (172 and 192) that it presents to you. 

No, you don't! You just change both the Gateway IP & the DHCP range to be on the same subnet before saving w/out touching the DHCP enablement. Doing 1 w/out the other just refuses to save as Invalid settings. As in your example:

1. Leave DHCP Enabled alone.
  2. Change Gateway IP = 150.10.10.10
  3. Change Custom DHCP range (ignore the 2 default DHCP ranges) = 150.10.10.64 - 253.
  4. Save settings.
  5. DHCP stays Enabled .
  6. Router admin now unresponsive due to IP changes.
  7. Reboot router (there may be some way w/out rebooting but I c.b.a.'ed).
  8. Wait until router flashes that it's connected to BB or not connected as in my freestanding case.
  9. Browse to http://150.10.10.10
  10. Voila!

What does Ethernet section of ipconfig /all report?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.