by Bungleshark
Visitor

Technical Question Regarding EE Broadband Modem

I have been with EE for a few months now and I am happy with the service I am getting. My current setup has my EE broadband modem on the ground floor near the phone line, a few network devices plugged in and I'm using the 5ghz Wireless Signal on it (the 2.4ghz channels are all clogged up from neighbouring properties).

One of the devices plugged in is a network powerline adapter. The powerline adapter goes to the office on the first floor which is plugged into a netgear modem. This is currently being used as a network switch but has the ability to be used as modem/router. On the floor above the office is the master bedroom and we get very poor signal from the wireless due to limitations of the 5ghz signal.

What I want to do is swap the EE modem with the netgear modem so that the wireless signal is more evenly distributed around the property. What I need some assistance with is setting up the EE modem as a switch only, if that is possible of course. I don't need any help with the netgear modem as I'm quite proficient with the UI and changing the settings on it etc...

Any help or points in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Technical Question Regarding EE Broadband Router

These devices are actually modem/routers but usually called "routers".

Have a read of To make a second Brightbox as a WAP on your LAN to the main Brightbox reading the Primary BB as your Netgear.

The 2.4 GHz band WiFi has a greater reach than the 5 GHz band. If you you are finding the 2.4 GHz channel clogged, you can try changing channel, but it often doesn't matter if it overlaps those of your neighbours.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Employee

Re: Technical Question Regarding EE Broadband Modem

Hi @Bungleshark and welcome to the community,

Hope the information provided by @XRaySpeX has helped with your query.

Many thanks,

Lee

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.