by beauchampy Investigator
Investigator

Switched from Talk Talk and the fibre speed is TERRIBLE. Help?!

I was happily pooting along on TalkTalk, but switched over to EE recently to make a small saving. My connection was activated on April 21st.

My speeds used to be around 35Mbps with TalkTalk and the speed was really consistent. Now on EE and I'm often getting >10Mbps, but sometimes closer to 24mbps. It's terribly inconsistent.

Anyone from EE able to help? Why are the speeds so dramatically lower and all over the place?

Bad speed test - http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=1493040916614884655

Good speed test - http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=1493041307836964855

The lines don't look very 'flat' to me..

Exchange - https://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/EMBRAUN

Tested using a Macbook Pro 2015, wirelessly, 3ft from router, carefully monitored connection with no applications or devices using the connection.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Investigator
Solution

Re: Switched from Talk Talk and the fibre speed is TERRIBLE. Help?!

Ditched the Wifi. Got some 1000mbps powerline adapters and a thunderbolt - ethernet adapter for the Macbook.

Now pushing a solid & consistent 37.5mbps down / 9.43 mbps up.

So it was more of a wireless issue than anything else.

Thanks for your help.

6 REPLIES 6
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

Are those speedtests done over Ethernet or WiFi? Do you get the bad speeds at any particular time of day?

If you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following step for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do not restart your router to do these tests:

Post your full router stats. For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings/ System/ DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page. Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Thanks for your reply.

They were done over Wifi, approx 3ft from the router. Unfortunately, this machine does not have an ethernet port, but I will order an adapter for testing purposes.

Inconsistent speeds generally throughout the day (I work from home). The tests in the post above were performed around 3pm today (Monday) and 10 minutes apart from each other.

As requested, here are the brightbox stats.

http://imgur.com/jjRVXne

System Uptime is: 75:26:09

Investigator

Thanks for your reply. 

Tests were done over wifi, 3ft from the router. Unfortunately, my machine doesn't have an ethernet port. 

I've noticed inconsistent speeds throughout most days - I work from home and it frequently starts to crawl.

System Uptime is: 75:42:15

STATUS   Configured Current Line Status -- UP Link Type -- Fast Path Operation Mode Automatic G.993.2 (VDSL2)
DATA RATE INFORMATION Upstream 9995 (Kbps) Downstream 39998 (Kbps)
DEFECT/FAILURE INDICATION Operation Data Upstream Downstream Noise Margin 10.2 (dB) 10.1 (dB) Line Attenuation 0.0 (dB) 19.8 (dB)
Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator Output Power 5.5 (dBm) 5.5 (dBm) Fast Path FEC Correction 24359 184 Interleaved Path FEC Correction -- -- Fast Path CRC Error 0 3390 Interleaved Path CRC Error -- -- Loss Of Signal Defect 1 0 Fast Path HEC Error STR 0 2760 Interleaved Path HEC Error -- -- Error Seconds 561 12
STATISTICS Received Data 33890409 (Kbits) Transmitted Data 32911053 (Kbits)
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Stats look OK.

Try plugging your router into the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate?

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (dial 17070 Opt 2), preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator
Solution

Ditched the Wifi. Got some 1000mbps powerline adapters and a thunderbolt - ethernet adapter for the Macbook.

Now pushing a solid & consistent 37.5mbps down / 9.43 mbps up.

So it was more of a wireless issue than anything else.

Thanks for your help.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You're welcome :)! Glad it's been sorted.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.