by ECSJ53 Investigator
Investigator

Suspicious call from bt openreach

Hi i received a phone call today which to me sounded rather strange it was a male who stated was calling from bt openreach he said he was calling due to my broadband speed as they can see from there end my speed is slow and keeps disconnecting i was suspicious as my broadband is ee but when my new line was installed it was bt openreach so i asked the man for a phone number i could call back on regarding the problem he gave me a number ( 08000232023) i immediately hung up and called the number and it is bt openreach as he said thing is it was also a automated service.Has anyone ecer had any calls like this is it genuine or should i ignore it. Thank you 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Suspicious call from bt openreach

It's scam. They want to take control of your PC & charge you for fixing it after you've given your bank card details.

For starters, BT OR never talks to the public. They're all at it, pretending to be Microsoft or BT. Even your own ISP wouldn't phone you out the blue, unless you already had a fault report in. Then they would take you through your security Qs 1st.

Ignore it. If it happens again, somebody saying your BB is slow or has a fault or that your PC has a virus, just put the phone down.

That phone no. is genuine BT OR no. but only for reporting damage to OR kit in the street. They give it you as they sensed you were suspicious & they wanted to get on to their next victim.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
3 REPLIES 3
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

It's scam. They want to take control of your PC & charge you for fixing it after you've given your bank card details.

For starters, BT OR never talks to the public. They're all at it, pretending to be Microsoft or BT. Even your own ISP wouldn't phone you out the blue, unless you already had a fault report in. Then they would take you through your security Qs 1st.

Ignore it. If it happens again, somebody saying your BB is slow or has a fault or that your PC has a virus, just put the phone down.

That phone no. is genuine BT OR no. but only for reporting damage to OR kit in the street. They give it you as they sensed you were suspicious & they wanted to get on to their next victim.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by ECSJ53 Investigator
Investigator

Okay thank you was just as I thought then I never normally fall for scam calls i normally just hang up but that one sounded very convincing thats why i asked for a number to call them back on I'd hate to imagine how many people have fell for them as im not easily convinced and they nearly convinced me

Thank you

Much appreciated

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance & it is now sorted.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.