by lucevans
Explorer

Streaming from EE smart hub USB disk

I have connected a USB 3.0 external hard drive to my EE smart hub with FLAC files on it and set-up network share with a Bluesound node 2i audio streamer on the same wifi network.... but when streaming hi-def files (192kHz/24 bit), the audio is constantly interrupted as if it is buffering. If I stream the same file from the hard drive of a Mac connected to the same network, it plays fine, suggesting that the problem lies with the USB part of the hub rather than the network part.

I thought it might be the USB disk itself being too slow, so I then tried the same file on a USB 3.0 memory stick in the smart hub, but this also buffers badly. Strangely, 1080 video files stream fine from both the USB hard drive and memory stick! 

Does anyone know whether the USB connector in the smart hub is known to be flaky when it comes to sustained data transfer? It seems to cope fine initially, but then seems to freeze every few seconds, like it's suddenly switched processor resources to something else. Am I just going to have to forget it and shell out for a proper NAS drive?

3 REPLIES 3
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Streaming from EE smart hub USB disk

The USB port of the EE SH is USB 2.0, not as fast as your HDD expects. When you stream from a Mac HDD you are not going over USB.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by lucevans
Explorer

Thanks for the reply. It’s a shame that the throughput of the USB port on the hub isn’t going to be enough for streaming some files (standard FLAC 44/16 files work fine)... I’ll keep streaming from the Mac 😞

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.