Highlighted
by Sudo Investigator
Investigator

Speed plummeted over last few days

Hi,

I have fairly recently returned to EE, and started off at 30 mbps down, 7 up, which was similar to what I got with BT.

I noticed yesterday that the speed had dropped to 22 however, and tonight it's gone down to 4ish!

What's going on?!

Nothing has changed here!

Any coincidence that Virgin dug the street up last month?

My stats:

Product name:Smart Hub
Serial number:+EEH001+1833011170
Firmware version:v0.00.24.06190-EE
Firmware Updated:Tue Oct 30 09:38:16 2018
Board version:01
DSL uptime:0 Days, 0 Hours, 22 Mins, 8 Secs
Data rate:4.94 Mbps / 7.42 Mbps
Maximum Data rate:4.85 Mbps / 7.39 Mbps
Noise margin (up/down):4.3 / 6.0
Line attenuation (up/down):36.4 / 30.2
Signal attenuation (up/down):36.5 / 26.2

Those attenuations are high aren't they?

Tried rebooting and cycling connection but it's getting worse!

Cheers,
Sudo
1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Speed plummeted over last few days

Ah, at last! A QLT is almost the 1st thing to try. The router stats are still useful in telling you whether or not you are getting the expected speeds, NMs & attns.

You probably have a "one-leg broken" fault (technically "HR Dis"). A landline consists of 2 wires, both of which are need for voice, but only any 1 for BB. Usually when this happens the BB runs slower than usual. 

It is likely that the break occurs between you & the cab, but it needs EE to call out BT Openreach to fix it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
17 REPLIES 17
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Hello and welcome to the Community.

Rebooting the router will make the connection worse because it will make the DSLAM think the connection is dropping and therefore the rate needs to be reduced for stability. The best thing to do is to leave the router powered on and make sure it does not get turned off!

Your stats don't look particularly bad to me but @XRaySpeX is the fixed line expert!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Sudo wrote:
Those attenuations are high aren't they?

Dunno! Depends on how long your line is to the cab. Why do you say that? Do you know what they were when you were getting 30 Meg?

A few reboots/resyncs won't do any harm but if you keep doing them the DLM will think the line is unstable & compensate by dropping your speed, as @Peter_C pointed out, & upping the NM which doesn't seemed to to have happened to you (?).

What does BT Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

Reboot the router & try plugging it into the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws or press tabs) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets in the home even if unused? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate of master socket?

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (dial 17070 Opt 2), preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report it to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

Post the full router stats from Advanced Settings/ Technical Log/ Information (I think you've just got the top-level Home/BB ones?) when plugged into test socket.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Sudo Investigator
Investigator

Thanks guys.

Will plug into the test socket when get home from work.

Nothing else is plugged into the socket other than the phone. It's a filtered faceplate.

No other sockets in the house.

Speed gone up a little over night:

Product name:Smart Hub
Serial number:+EEH001+1833011170
Firmware version:v0.00.24.06190-EE
Firmware Updated:Tue Oct 30 09:38:16 2018
Board version:01
DSL uptime:0 Days, 2 Hours, 35 Mins, 14 Secs
Data rate:4.99 Mbps / 7.46 Mbps
Maximum Data rate:4.99 Mbps / 7.54 Mbps
Noise margin (up/down):6.3 / 6.3
Line attenuation (up/down):36.4 / 30.1
Signal attenuation (up/down):36.3 / 26.0
Data sent / received:24.6 MB / 574.0 MB
Broadband username:Edited@FS
2.4 GHz wireless network name:Satsuma
2.4 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel 6)
5 GHz wireless network name:edited
5 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel 48)
Wireless security:WPA2
Wireless mode:Mode 1
Firewall:Default
MAC address:4C:1B:86:82:1C:A6
Software variant:-
Boot loader:0.0.3-EE (Mon Dec 4 17:32:53 2017)

Maybe me forcing a disconnect a few times over the last few days to get the boy off the TV has what has caused it.
Is there a way of forcing a reset on the line?

Cheers
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Don't think that's the page I'm after in Advanced Settings. 

You haven't told me why you think the attenuations are high? 

by Sudo Investigator
Investigator

Hi,

Sorry, I cannot remember what the attentuations were when my connection was at 30meg. It was more of a question rather than a statement of fact, so if you reckon they look okay then that's good 🙂

I'd rather the issue was caused by my disconnecting the connection rather than Virgin breaking something whilst causing havoc all down the street!

I forgot to post the info from the BT page, so here you go:

Telephone Number 01225319017 on Exchange KINGSMEAD is served by Cabinet 56

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)WBC FTTC Availability DateWBC SOGEA Availability DateLeft in Jumper  High Low High Low        Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)WBC FTTP Availability Date   ADSL ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date Left in JumperObserved SpeedsG.FastVDSLOther Offerings     Availability Date   Premise environmentStatus
VDSL Range A (Clean)42.529.37.75.225Available---- 
VDSL Range B (Impacted)41.3257.7520Available---- 
FTTP on Demand33030--Available---- 
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 3--2 to 4Available---- 
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 3Up to 0.52 to 4Available---- 
ADSL MaxUp to 2.5--1.5 to 3.5Available---- 
WBC Fixed Rate1----Available---- 
Fixed Rate1----Available---- 
Max Observed Downstream Speed (Mbps)--37.15     
Max Upstream Observed Speed (Mbps)--7.11     
Observed Date--2018-08-27     
VDSL Multicast------Available---- 
ADSL Multicast------Available---- 
Bridge TapU      
VRIN      
NTEFaceplateN      
Last Test Date21-11-2018      

FTTP is not available.

I'll have another look at the technical log page, although pretty sure that was the full table.

Cheers,

Sudo

by Sudo Investigator
Investigator

Hi,

Sorry, I cannot remember what the attentuations were when my connection was at 30meg. It was more of a question rather than a statement of fact, so if you reckon they look okay then that's good 🙂

I may have some screenshots of when I was on BT, so will try and dig them out...

I'd rather the issue was caused by my disconnecting the connection rather than Virgin breaking something whilst causing havoc all down the street!

I forgot to post the info from the BT page, so here you go:

Telephone Number 01225------ on Exchange KINGSMEAD is served by Cabinet 56

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)WBC FTTC Availability DateWBC SOGEA Availability DateLeft in Jumper  High Low High Low        Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)WBC FTTP Availability Date   ADSL ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date Left in JumperObserved SpeedsG.FastVDSLOther Offerings     Availability Date   Premise environmentStatus
VDSL Range A (Clean)42.529.37.75.225Available---- 
VDSL Range B (Impacted)41.3257.7520Available---- 
FTTP on Demand33030--Available---- 
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 3--2 to 4Available---- 
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 3Up to 0.52 to 4Available---- 
ADSL MaxUp to 2.5--1.5 to 3.5Available---- 
WBC Fixed Rate1----Available---- 
Fixed Rate1----Available---- 
Max Observed Downstream Speed (Mbps)--37.15     
Max Upstream Observed Speed (Mbps)--7.11     
Observed Date--2018-08-27     
VDSL Multicast------Available---- 
ADSL Multicast------Available---- 
Bridge TapU      
VRIN      
NTEFaceplateN      
Last Test Date21-11-2018      

FTTP is not available.

Sorry, I cannot seem to get that table formatted well, and my repeated attempts have made the post get marked as spam...

I'll have another look at the technical log page, although pretty sure that was the full table.

Cheers,

Sudo

by Sudo Investigator
Investigator

If I hit "Save File" from the Technical Log/Information page I seem to get the same content:

Product name,EE Smart Hub
Serial number,+EEH001+1833011170
Firmware version,v0.00.24.06190-EE (Tue Jun 19 17:25:19 2018)
Board version,01
Data sent / received,40.8 MB / 754.5 MB
DSL uptime,0 days 4 Hours 6 Mins 56 Secs
Data rate,4.99 Mbps/7.46 Mbps
Maximum Data rate,4.9 Mbps/7.6 Mbps
Noise margin (up/down),6.3/6.4
Line attenuation (up/down),36.4/30.1
Signal attenuation (up/down),36.3/26.0
Broadband username,PRODUCTIONHQNUNedited@fs
2.4 GHz wireless network name,Satsuma
2.4 GHz wireless channel,Smart (Channel 6)
5 GHz wireless network name,Satsuma
5 GHz wireless channel,Smart (Channel 48)
Wireless Security,WPA
Wireless mode,Mode 1
Firewall,Default
MAC address,4C:1B:86:82:1C:A6
Software variant,-
Boot loader, 0.0.3-EE (Mon Dec 4 17:32:53 2017)

What additional information should there be?

Cheers

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks. I'll power my SH & PC up later & have a look. I seem to remember subtle & more exact differences that might be useful.

Have you done the QLT yet?

I've no idea if your attentations are OK as I've no idea where you live. I do know where your cab is but not how far your line length to it is.

How many discons did you force? Over what period? How frequently?

by Sudo Investigator
Investigator

Hi,

Thanks, I appreciate the help!

No, not done the QLT yet, since am at work.

Will have a go when get home, and try the test socket afterwards.

I forced a disconnect a few mornings in a row last week iirc, to stop my son from watching TV and to come and get changed in time for breakfast before school.

I had no idea it'd affect my connection sync, so won't be doing it again!

I'm wondering now how to get it to recover.

It seems stuck on 5 down and 7.3 up (I misread the order earlier).

Cheers

by Grand Master
Grand Master

If that's a discon once a day that shouldn't be a problem. A few peeps turn their routers off overnight.

It's OK. You've got the right router stats. Sorry, I was getting mixed up with another router.

The next steps are the test socket & the QLT.

by Sudo Investigator
Investigator

Oh, well that's both good to know, and not, since implies that something else could be up.

Cheers

by Sudo Investigator
Investigator

Well, got home and thought I'd try a quiet line test, and, well, no dial tone.

A quick call to EE, and they've escalated it to Openreach, and hope to get it sorted soon.

They've been great, and even credited my account for the diminished service.

Can't say fairer than that can you?!

I guess the lesson for me here is to try the landline before trying router stats 🙂

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.

Sudo

by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Ah, at last! A QLT is almost the 1st thing to try. The router stats are still useful in telling you whether or not you are getting the expected speeds, NMs & attns.

You probably have a "one-leg broken" fault (technically "HR Dis"). A landline consists of 2 wires, both of which are need for voice, but only any 1 for BB. Usually when this happens the BB runs slower than usual. 

It is likely that the break occurs between you & the cab, but it needs EE to call out BT Openreach to fix it.

by Sudo Investigator
Investigator

Yeah, they've confirmed it's an external fault, and have escalated to Openreach.

Hopefully the fix will be fairly swift!

Thanks for your help, you've been brilliant!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Good! You were probably right about the attenuations being high. These type of faults tend to play havoc with them & push both up. Let's see the stats after its been fixed.

Maybe VM dig up the wrong trench & broke some BT cabling. VM & BT should be in separate trenches.

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance.

by Sudo Investigator
Investigator

Got home tonight and have a ring tone, and internet speed back up.

In case anyone is interested, here's my router stats now, so the attenuation was a little high before:

DSL uptime,0 days 7 Hours 52 Mins 46 Secs
Data rate,6.95 Mbps/30.85 Mbps
Maximum Data rate,6.9 Mbps/29.9 Mbps
Noise margin (up/down),5.8/5.8
Line attenuation (up/down),26.2/23.6
Signal attenuation (up/down),26.2/20.8

Cheers,

Sudo

by Grand Master
Grand Master

That's more like it :).

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.