by Neil17f
Explorer

Smart hub router issue

Just Renewed my broadband contract and received a new smart hub router to replace my old brighbox 2 which worked fine except for the occasional dropping of wifi signal.

My problem is i was getting around 20mbs with the old brightbox router on bt wholesale speedtest and when i connect the smarthub router i get about 8mbs.I can switch back and forth and the results are always the same.I have had a new smart hub router sent out and the results are the same.I have contacted broadband support and they have said their is nothing wrong with the line which i new because of the results with the brightbox but because the speed i get of 8mb is higher then the guaranteed speed ee stipulate then everything is ok by them.What i would like to know is.Has anyone else experienced this issue or does anyone know what may be causing this issue as to why the older router gives faster speeds then the new one when you would of thought it would be the other way round.

3 REPLIES 3
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Smart hub router issue

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

If you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do not restart your router to do these tests. Could you do tests 1 & 2 with both the EE SmartHub & the BrightBox 2:

1. Post your full router stats.

For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings/ System/ DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page.

For a SmartHub: login and go to Advanced Settings/ Technical Log/ Information.

Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

2. Try a wired speedtest, using an Ethernet cable supplied with the router, here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html . Click on the "Results Page" button at the bottom of the graph you first see and then copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link that you see below the next main graph.

3. What exchange are you connected to? If you don't know use: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search and post the URL of your exchange page.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Neil17f
Explorer

Hi,These are router stats for both routers.

Product name

EE Smart Hub

Serial number

+EEH001+1849017448

Firmware version

v0.00.24.06190-EE (Tue Jun 19 17:25:19 2018)

Board version

Data sent / received

288.6 MB / 2.5 GB

DSL uptime

0 days 21 Hours 30 Mins 0 Secs

Data rate

0.97 Mbps/9.82 Mbps

Maximum Data rate

0.9 Mbps/9.9 Mbps

Noise margin (up/down)

6.3/3.7

Line attenuation (up/down)

12.1/33.4

Signal attenuation (up/down)

12.1/27.4

Broadband username

hf18.orangehome.co.uk@FS

2.4 GHz wireless network name

EE-Hub-Cx8j

2.4 GHz wireless channel

Smart (Channel 1)

5 GHz wireless network name

5GHz-EE-Hub-Cx8j

5 GHz wireless channel

Smart (Channel 48)

Wireless Security

WPA

Wireless mode

Mode 1

Firewall

MAC address

44:FE:3B:C1:D4:4B

Software variant

-

Boot loader

0.0.3-EE (Mon Dec  4 17:32:53 2017)

DSL STATUS This page shows information about your DSL connection. If you are using Ethernet Broadband then this page is not applicable.
STATUS  Configured CurrentLine StatusLink TypeOperation Mode
--UP
--Fast Path
AutomaticG.993.2 (VDSL2)
DATA RATE INFORMATIONUpstreamDownstream
1097 (Kbps)
23796 (Kbps)
DEFECT/FAILURE INDICATIONOperation Data Upstream DownstreamNoise MarginLine Attenuation
6.1 (dB)3.8 (dB)
0.0 (dB)30.2 (dB)

Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End IndicatorOutput PowerFast Path FEC CorrectionInterleaved Path FEC CorrectionFast Path CRC ErrorInterleaved Path CRC ErrorLoss Of Signal DefectFast Path HEC Error STRInterleaved Path HEC ErrorError Seconds
10.5 (dBm)10.7 (dBm)
----
----
----
STATISTICSReceived DataTransmitted Data
821150 (Kbits)
55076 (Kbits)

my exchange is https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/lcnel

Can't do a wired test yet because my daughter has the only laptop with ethernet connection.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! 24 Meg sync is about right for your line & that's what the BB2 is doing. There's no reason for the SH to be running at under half that. Normally I'd say the SH must be faulty but you've already tried another.

Why not ditch the SH? It is far functionally much weaker than the BB2. It might be just slightly better at WiFi.

Don't bother with the speedtests. The router stats say it all.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.