by andyb76 Investigator
Investigator

Smart hub dnla media streaming issues

i have just recieved my new smart hub after having the brightbox 2.

with the brightbox 2 i was able to use smartshare dnla media sharing to my LG home cinema system and a LG Smart tv without any issues. i have plugged in the new smart hub straight from the box and now i cant share media at all it my pc doesnt even find my tv or vis versa. does anyone know if the SMART HUB supports dnla media streaming ?? if so how do i set it up also noticed after this morning all devices connected to the smart hub had been disconnected overnight on the own and the only way to reconnect them was to restart the hub 

9 REPLIES 9
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Smart hub dnla media streaming issues

Just put the Brightbox 2 back in. The EE SH is far weaker functionally.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by andyb76 Investigator
Investigator

so i take it the smart hub dont allow media sharing then

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @andyb76.

The smart hub will have this capability.

I'd recommend contacting our tech care team so they can run through some checks with you.

Jon

by andyb76 Investigator
Investigator

hi @Jon_K  i did phone up 150 and go through to the technical department and they said they only deal with issues regarding no broadband etc. and nothing to do with changing any settings at all

they dont deal with any issues regarding any changes to the smart hub menu or any of its sub menus they told me to post on here and someone is bound to have the information i require 

andy

by Grand Master
Grand Master

I'm awaiting powering up my idle EE SH & connecting my Smart TV to it before commenting further. At the mo' it's set up for a BB2 & media streaming is all working OK.

BBL!

__________________________________________________________________________________________
To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by andyb76 Investigator
Investigator

@XRaySpeX 

im in the same situation all works ok with BB2 but as soon as EE SH connected i loose all media streaming capablities if you manage to sort please let me know how 

many thanks

by Grand Master
Grand Master

FAILED: Smart hub dnla media streaming issues

I can't get media streamed from my Smart TV via the EE SH at all. It's all so haphazard.

The EE SH recognises the Smart TV but the PC being used to play it doesn't always see the Smart TV in its Network and even when it does it won't play from it.

Normally with a Brightbox the PC sees in its Network these Media Devices:

Capture.JPG

The top one Opens Media Player, the bottom sets Media Streaming Options from this PC only to the device. You just need to click the top icon to play media from the TV on this PC.

With the EE SH sometimes none, 1 or both of these icons appear. Even if they appear no clicking on them will play any media from the TV :(.

There are no settings on the EE SH to affect this behaviour.

by andyb76 Investigator
Investigator

Re: FAILED: Smart hub dnla media streaming issues

@XRaySpeX 

thanks for the information. so basically the EE SH is totally rubbish then compared to the BB2. i thought technology was supposed to go forwards not backwards not being able to share media files with the new EE SH is totally stupid.

perhaps its something they should think of adding when they do software updates to the EE SH.

guess mine will be staying in its box then as its basically a useless paperweight  

thanks for all your help if you do ever manage to find any info on how to share media with the EE SH please let me know thanks 

andy

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: FAILED: Smart hub dnla media streaming issues

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance.

As I implied earlier, I doubt I will as I shall remain using the BB2 or if I wanted the latest technology I'd move to a non-ISP generic ADSL/VDSL modem/router.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.