by Mick_Statham Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Smart hub Continually drops connection and forgets my devices

A couple of months ago I was ‘persuaded’ by an assistant in an EE shop that I should upgrade to fiber (I’d actually gone into the shop for a mobile problem).

The fiber BB was set up and everything was fine for the first week or so however, the connection now drops out multiple times a day. The status always shows as being connected but I have to turn the WiFi at my devices off and on again to get any data connection. 

The range of the WiFi, when it is working is atrocious. My old bright box would let me use WiFi right at the bottom of my garden. The smart hub seems to have trouble getting the signal through one wall. 

I have seen seen multiple topics for this on here and no one seems to have been able to solve this. It is driving be spare. This was sold to me as being a worthwhile upgrade but now I get the feeling that I was sold this just so the assistant could get his commission (sorry, that was probably uncalled for but i’m Just about at the end of my tether).

Is is it possible to get the line reverted back to an ordinary connection, or can I try plugging in my old EE bright box? Will that work on fiber?

Failing this can a buy a third party router, which I am guessing would be better quality?

Any help much appreciated. 

17 REPLIES 17
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Smart hub Continually drops connection and forgets my devices

Hi @Mick_Statham

Buy a third party router as the standard ones offered by most ISPs are poor. 

It might be worth changing your WiFi channel to see if that helps. 

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
Valued Contributor

Hi, thanks.

yes i’ve Fiddled with as many of the router settings as I dare, including the channels too but no luck so far. I think i’ll Do a bit more research on a replacement. 

Cheers.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Mick_Statham wrote:

can I try plugging in my old EE bright box? Will that work on fiber?

Which BrightBox is it? If it is a BrightBox 2 it will work on Fibre. Put it back in & you'll probably find it superior to the newer EE SH.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Valued Contributor

Hi @XRaySpeX

yes I think I’ll try that tomorrow. How do I know which BBox it is, just out of curiosity?

thanks.

Valued Contributor

Hi @XRaySpeX

ive just checked. It’s the flat BBox 1. So that won’t work then?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

It should have a label with its model on.If it just says Brightbox Router it's a Brightbox 1 & of no use to you. Else post a pix.

No! It's of no use.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

On the Wireless Settings page of the SH there is a button (near the top I think) to Separate the SSIDs (or some such name). Turn it ON. Is the WiFi more stable now?

Valued Contributor

It’s so old it has the Orange logo on it so, yes BB router no good 😞

ive also split the SSID’s but no discernible difference i’m afraid. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

What devices are you connecting to the SH? Do you know their wireless specs? Their 802.11's?

Valued Contributor

All apple products, iPhone, iPad, MacBook plus sky and Amazon Fire stick. All should be ok. No problems at all before the fiber upgrade. 

I think Sky is the only one we don’t have a problem with. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Mick_Statham wrote:

No problems at all before the fiber upgrade. 

Actually it would seem you had no issue before using the EE SH.

What are the devices 802.11x specs?

Valued Contributor

I stand corrected 🙂

Ok, I think:

One iPhone se 802.11ac

one iPhone 6 802.11a/b/g/n/ac

One macbook no clue

one iPad Pro (2017) 802.11a/b/g/n/ac

amazon fire stick no clue 

sky no clue 

Valued Contributor

Today’s update:

i have split the wireless channels again and have assigned different channel numbers, which has hopefully turned of the ‘smart’ function. I have also changed the name of the 5ghz connection slightly. I found both of these tips on another thread so thought I’d try that.

So far the connection has stayed steady while iv’e been in the house but, having gone out and come back in a while later, I have had to disconnect my devices WiFi and reconnect again. So at the moment it seems while I’m in range things are ok but I’m still being forgotten when I get back from being away from the router.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Also a quick question that someone might be able to answer...

if I buy a BrightBox 2 from ebay would I be able to use this on my fiber connection. I’m guessing that I’d have to set it up manually?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, you may use a Brightbox 2 on any EE Fibre connection & all the better for it Smiley Wink. I'm not sure whether the auto setup from EE's configuration management server will work. It will depend on whether it goes by your landline no. or the serial no. of the router. I have a suspicion it's the latter which is registered to someone else but you can always set it up manually.

Valued Contributor

Thanks @XRaySpeX I can pick one up for about a tenner plus postage. Worth a shot. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance. Good luck with it.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.