by DaveyBoy1812
Explorer

Smart Hub router

The new Smart Hub routers are apparently now free with all new AND ugrade fibre packages. As I only upgraded to fibre 2 months ago in December, am I entitled to one of the new Smart Hub routers? 

24 REPLIES 24
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Re: Smart Hub router

No as you have already joined or upgraded.

Plans constantly change and this has happened but doesn' mean you will get one.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by DaveyBoy1812
Explorer

Not very good customer service for a loyal customer of over 15 years.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Wait till your Brightbox 2 breaks. The SH is not particularly better than the BB2; just slightly stronger on WiFi.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

I wouldn't rush to get a "SmartHub" - being first to get an ISP's new tech often means you live with the un-tested and sometimes unreliable kit.  Just ask any EE customers who had problems with the SignlaBox and Virgin broadband customers who got the Superhub3 which was worse than the Superhub 2 - (people were handing them back).

If your BrightBox 2 is working, what extras do you want?

by tonyw Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I had been waiting for the Smart Hub as tech support said I'd be sent one, as soon as they became available, to fix some odd WiFi problems I've been experiencing with the Brightbox 2. But, the powers that be have decided that Smart Hubs will be strictly limited to new and upgrading customers and even speaking to a manager did not achieve the desired result.

My BT Smart Hub, complete with new 52Mbps Infinity contract, is arriving next week and I'm now being deluged with letters, emails and phone calls from EE asking what can be done to make me stay. Too late, all I wanted was what had been promised to me....... c'est la vie.

by
EE Community Support Team

Thank you for posting @tonyw

Have a nice weekend

Richard

🙂

Established Contributor

LOL

It's nice to be appreciated.

Established Contributor

In case anyone is interested, my BT infinity has been up and running for a couple of weeks and the Smart Hub does not suffer from wifi problems I was experiencing with the Brightbox 2, so I would say that the Smart Hub is a worthwhile upgrade from the Brightbox 2 if you can get one.

by Mitt27 Investigator
Investigator

Does anybody know when EE will start letting existing customer upgrade/purchase these new routers? Id prefer to have the 4 gigabit ports and improved wifi signal over my existing brightbox 2

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Mitt27: They won't until your BB2 breaks & you need a replacement.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Established Contributor

Not even then, so I was told. Someone senior in EE has dug their heels in and mid level line managers can do nothing but wait for this daft policy to change.

I was a happy EE customer with two phones and broadband. I'm now a happy BT customer. There is always a way to get what you want.

by Mitt27 Investigator
Investigator

yeah I was just told on the phone that they physically cant order the router for existing customers even if you have issues with your brightbox 2. 

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

@tonywwrote:

In case anyone is interested, my BT infinity has been up and running for a couple of weeks and the Smart Hub does not suffer from wifi problems I was experiencing with the Brightbox 2, so I would say that the Smart Hub is a worthwhile upgrade from the Brightbox 2 if you can get one.

The BT Smart Hub is not the same as the EE Smart Hub.

There is no side by side evidence that the EE smart hub actually performs better than the BB2.  It might do in specific scenarios.. but until we see legions of people with better performance we should be wary of the marketing blurb that might be theory rather than fact.

Established Contributor

@Paulsob "The BT Smart Hub is not the same as the EE Smart Hub.

There is no side by side evidence that the EE smart hub actually performs better than the BB2.  It might do in specific scenarios.. but until we see legions of people with better performance we should be wary of the marketing blurb that might be theory rather than fact."

EE tech support told me they are the same hardware. Are they mistaken?

There is evidence that the Smart Hub actually performs better than the BB2, mine. As I said, I have used both and had WiFi problems with the BB2 which I do not have with the Smart Hub.

By the bye, with the £150 reward card, BT Infinity (52mbps) is actually cheaper than the 38mbps EE fibre.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

There is scant info on the Smart Hub capabilities on the web... lots of vague EE marketing speak. 

The EE Smart Hub spec is:

• Autosensing  ADSL2+ and VDSL2 modem (EE Broadband only)
  • Dual band WiFi with next generation 802.11 ac “Wave 2” support
  • WiFi bands and maximum speeds:
    • 2.4GHz (3x3 802.11b/g/n/ac) up to 290 Mb/s 
    • 5GHz (4x4 802.11a/n/ac) up to 1700 Mb/s
  • 4x RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet ports
  • 1x RJ11 broadband port
  • 1x USB2.0 port
  • WPS PBC (push button configuration)
  • Smart wireless

The manufacturer of each is not stated but the EE Hub does appear to echo the BT Smart Hub specs.

BT Smart Hub

2.5GHz:  290Mb/s, 256 QAM 3x3 11b/g/n/ac

5GHz:     1733Mb/s 4x4 11a/n/ac (80MHz)

4x 10/100 Mbit/s Ethernet sockets (RJ45)
1x USB 2.0 socket
1x VDSL Broadband in (RJ11)

Th BT Smart Hub is a capable machine for speeds, (although whether normal users will see that in normal use) and seems to have better range - that will make a difference.

https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/assets/pdf/bt_smart_hub_test_report.pdf

EE don't have to supply it - so there should be no beef when they roll it out only to new VDSL customers.

by Mitt27 Investigator
Investigator

yeah so even just having 4 gigabit networks ports will make a huge difference to the throughput of my network. I am not expecting them to provide me with 1 as a matter of course but they should be atleast providing people with the option of upgrading to 1 for a fee.

Established Contributor

If I was going to pay for a router upgrade I'd be looking at a third party router, something like the TP-Link Archer VR2800.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

FYI: Of those who haven't seen inside an EE SH:

Advanced.JPGAdvanced SettingsWireless.JPGWireless Settings

Established Contributor

It's the same as the BT version except in green rather than blue.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.