by deebee Investigator
Investigator

Slow download speeds - no obvious reason why

Hi all,

I recently moved to a new build flat (CR02BX).  The place is about 0.8 miles from the closest exchange (LSCRO) , though I apprecite the line doesn't always take the shortest route.

The line attenuation of 33db (down) suggests a line distance of 2.4km and an expected line speed of about 13.1mbps.

Thing is, I'm getting 4.  The sync speed is 4007kbps according to the modem.  And I'm lucky to see 3.5mbps on any speed test.

I've tried different equipment (I have both a brightbox & BB2), different filter, connecting to the master outlet in the cupboard, different phone cables.  I'm out of ideas what is causing this.  Would really appreciate someones advice.  My full stats are below:

STATUS   Configured Current Line Status -- UP Link Type -- Fast Path Operation Mode Automatic G.992.3 (ADSL2)
DATA RATE INFORMATION Upstream 1167 (Kbps) Downstream 4007 (Kbps)
DEFECT/FAILURE INDICATION Operation Data Upstream Downstream Noise Margin 6.6 (dB) 6.1 (dB) Line Attenuation 20.3 (dB) 33.0 (dB)
Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator Output Power 12.8 (dBm) 0.0 (dBm) Fast Path FEC Correction 0 0 Interleaved Path FEC Correction -- -- Fast Path CRC Error 0 0 Interleaved Path CRC Error -- -- Loss Of Signal Defect 0 0 Fast Path HEC Error STR 0 67 Interleaved Path HEC Error -- -- Error Seconds 25 0
11 REPLIES 11
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Slow download speeds - no obvious reason why

Yes, you've done your homework :). You should be syncing at about 13 Meg instead of the 4007 K that you are. The reason you are not is that the DLM system has put you on a banded profile in response to past errors on your line, the 6th lowest of these Banded Profiles, altho' you now have no significant errors. You need to call EE to reset the DLM in order to remove any banding. However should significant errors persist the DLM will reapply banding.

What would be your router stats when you force DSL Mode to G.992.5 (ADSL2+) in Advanced / Broadband Settings?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by deebee Investigator
Investigator

Thanks for the swift response @XRaySpeX.

I've switched to ADSL2+ manually, and I've seen the slightest of speed increases - I'm now synced at 4119kbps.

How do you know about the errors on my line, and that they've since stoppped?  Is it the "error seconds" statistic.  Or simply based on the speed I'm getting?

I've inserted my network stats again below, but the error seconds count has jumped to 708.

STATUS   Configured Current Line Status -- UP Link Type -- Fast Path Operation Mode G.992.5 (ADSL2+) G.992.5 (ADSL2+)
DATA RATE INFORMATION Upstream 1159 (Kbps) Downstream 4119 (Kbps)
DEFECT/FAILURE INDICATION Operation Data Upstream Downstream Noise Margin 6.0 (dB) 6.1 (dB) Line Attenuation 20.4 (dB) 35.5 (dB)
Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator Output Power 12.8 (dBm) 0.0 (dBm) Fast Path FEC Correction 0 0 Interleaved Path FEC Correction -- -- Fast Path CRC Error 0 0 Interleaved Path CRC Error -- -- Loss Of Signal Defect 0 0 Fast Path HEC Error STR 0 125 Interleaved Path HEC Error -- -- Error Seconds 708 3
STATISTICS Received Data 33559 (Kbits) Transmitted Data 10095 (Kbits)
by Grand Master
Grand Master

It's based on the fact that you are capped, but it is unusual for it not to at the upper limit of a band when on ADSL2+.

ES cannot be assessed w/out knowing the uptime. What is that?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by deebee Investigator
Investigator

The connection reset when I switched to the ADSL2+ profile.  So up-time is currently at 2h30m.  When I posted, the connection would have been available for barely any time at all.

Error count is now at 1076, so it appears most of the errors are happening up-front when the connection is being established.

I'm hesitant to reset my router again to check this, as according to the article you referenced resets may be interpreted as faults and I may be moved to even lower band.  As you've suggested, I'll give EE a call and see if they can get the DLM reset and then report back.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

When you switched to ADSL2+ it would have re-synced the connection but needn't have reset the router unless you also rebooted it. So the Uptime would carry forward.

Anyway it's too early say about the ES as as you observed they are often front-loaded.

A few re-syncs a day won't harm. Just don't do it too often.

by deebee Investigator
Investigator

Just got off the phone with EE.  No banding has been applied to my account so there was no sense in resetting the DLM.  The agent couldn't work out why my connection was so slow.  He ran some reporting tool and cable length to exchange was estimated at 1800m, so obviously sync speed is waaaaay too slow.

Anyway, I've got a BT engineer coming out on Wednesday to investigate and do some tests.  Will keep you updated on how I get on.  Thanks for all your help @XRaySpeX, enjoy what's left of your Easter.

by deebee Investigator
Investigator

Righto, just had the BT Engineer work his magic.  He's disconnected all my extension sockets so only the master socket works.

He plugged in his terminal and returned the following stats:

(Up/Down)

Actual Rate:  1080/8344K

Max Rate:  1080/8392K

Capacity:  100%/99.4%

Noise Margin:  5.9dB/6.0dB

Line Attenuation:  18.4dB/35.2dB

Signal Attenuation:  19.0dB/33.6dB

The BB2 is returning the following, which I think largely mirrors the above:

Configured Current Line Status -- UP Link Type -- Fast Path Operation Mode G.992.5 (ADSL2+) G.992.5 (ADSL2+)
DATA RATE INFORMATION Upstream 1183 (Kbps) Downstream 8586 (Kbps)
DEFECT/FAILURE INDICATION Operation Data Upstream Downstream Noise Margin 6.2 (dB) 6.1 (dB) Line Attenuation 19.6 (dB) 34.5 (dB)
Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator Output Power 12.6 (dBm) 0.0 (dBm) Fast Path FEC Correction 0 0 Interleaved Path FEC Correction -- -- Fast Path CRC Error 0 0 Interleaved Path CRC Error -- -- Loss Of Signal Defect 1 0 Fast Path HEC Error STR 0 1 Interleaved Path HEC Error -- -- Error Seconds 12 0
STATISTICS Received Data 599024 (Kbits) Transmitted Data 212455 (Kbits)

I'm pretty happy the speed has now doubled.  4mbps is basically intolerable, whereas 8mbps is a speed I think I can probably get by on.

Is this the best I can hope for?  As I mentioned on Sunday, EE have confirmed no banding has been applied to my account.

I've got the agent I spoke to yesterday calling again tomorrow afternoon to follow-up and confirm the outcome.  The kitz calculator still seems to indicate I should be getting a line speed closer to 11.7mbps based on my attenuation.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @deebee

Thank you for posting the stats 🙂

I know @XRaySpeX will be watching this and the agent calls you, then please update again.

Cheers

Richard

🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, you should be getting about 12 Meg on that line. I can't see why you are not getting 12 Meg with a 6 dB NM or 8.5 Meg with about a 12 dB NM, but not 8.5 Meg with a 6dB NM as you are. In other words either the speed should be faster or the NM higher. (Speed increases as NM reduces within reason.) I don't think you are being banded now.

Did you need the extension sockets? Do you know if he had to disconnect them from the faceplate or from inside the socket? If the latter, that would have been the cause of lower speeds. You may have had star-wiring.

by deebee Investigator
Investigator

Thanks @XRaySpeX, it helps that you agree the figures aren't adding up.

I don't necessarily need the extensions - I don't use the home phone and wouldn't even know what my number is.  With the modem now in the utility cupboard, it just means I need to wirelessly connect to stuff like my sky box and apple tv.  But a wireless connection to 8.5mbps trumps a wired connection to 4mbps.  Particularly given the BB2 seems quite quick on the 5GHz spectrum.  In summary, I'm not fussed that the extensions have been disabled.  The landlord doesn't seem overly impressed, however.

To disconnect the extensions the engineer had to open the master socket faceplate and disconnect 2 wires.  Yes, the engineer specifically mentioned "star wiring" although the term meant nothing to me.  He just said something about never trusting an electrician to do a network engineers job 🙂

Anyway, with EE calling me tomorrow what would you recommend?  I would really appreciate the further bump to 12mbps.  But I think todays increase has pushed me above my "speed guarantee" so I'm not sure how invested EE will be in getting things much faster.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Mention it but don't surprised if EE say that it's within range of what they estimate & do nowt, esp. as you had an eng. out.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.