by castironkorky Investigator
Investigator

Slow broadband speed on new connection

My broadband was activated yesterday and after being shown my line speed can handle between 10mbps and 19mbps on EE signup [over 14 days ago] I am in fact recieving on average 6mbps but at times 3mbps.

My ISP previously was Talk-Talk and I had a constant 16mbps so I know my line speed can perform better.

I have not called CS as yet, I have read it may take 10 days to settle but I am not convinced and I have plugged into the hidden master socket and tried various speedtests using a wired connection.

So is this the best I am going to achieve as the gf works from home and we will require a better broadband speed than what I was led to believe. [10mbps min]

I am posting my router settings, exchange and a speedtest result and hope someone can advise me.

Thanks kork

Time Connected 00:45:26

DSL STATUS

This page shows information about your DSL connection. If you are using Fibre/Ethernet Broadband then this page is not applicable.

STATUS

Configured          Current

Line Status          --            UP

Link Type             --            Fast Path

Operation Mode               Automatic           G.992.1 (G.DMT)

DATA RATE INFORMATION

Upstream            448 (Kbps)

Downstream       8128 (Kbps)

DEFECT/FAILURE INDICATION

Operation Data  Upstream            Downstream

Noise Margin      28.0 (dB)              18.9 (dB)

Line Attenuation               9.5 (dB) 14.0 (dB)

Indicator Name  Near End Indicator           Far End Indicator

Output Power     12.1 (dBm)          17.9 (dBm)

Fast Path FEC Correction               0             0

Interleaved Path FEC Correction  --            --

Fast Path CRC Error          0             0

Interleaved Path CRC Error           --            --

Loss Of Signal Defect       0             0

Fast Path HEC Error STR  0             0

Interleaved Path HEC Error           --            --

Error Seconds     0             0

STATISTICS

Received Data    939813 (Kbits)

Transmitted Data             62101 (Kbits)

https://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/SSHWK

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=1484648844492243255

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Slow broadband speed on new connection

@castironkorky wrote:

after being shown my line speed can handle between 10mbps and 19mbps on EE signup

Oh dear! You have been missold.

First of all, the 10 days is a myth that speed increases during it. It is the period during which BT monitors your line to calculate a fault threshold for any future issues.

However you are already getting the fastest speed available from BT at your exchange. Hardwicke Exchange is one of the few exchanges where only "Up to 8 Meg" ADSL Max is available. When you were with TT they were providing you with "Up to 24 Meg" ADSL2+ from their own kit (DSLAM) that BT doesn't have the equivalent of there.

However if you are prepared to sit it out until April 2017 BT are scheduled to upgrade its kit to ADSL2+ there then.

This sort of thing is also discussed in Has EE Promised to Match Talktalk or Sky Speeds? .

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
9 REPLIES 9
by Profile closed
Not applicable

Your line speed should start to increase over the next 10 days or so.

All new ADSL connections have an initial 10 day 'training' period where they start at a slower speed and gradually increase.

There is nothing you can do to speed this process up unfortunately.

Leave everything plugged in the standard socket.

by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

@castironkorky wrote:

after being shown my line speed can handle between 10mbps and 19mbps on EE signup

Oh dear! You have been missold.

First of all, the 10 days is a myth that speed increases during it. It is the period during which BT monitors your line to calculate a fault threshold for any future issues.

However you are already getting the fastest speed available from BT at your exchange. Hardwicke Exchange is one of the few exchanges where only "Up to 8 Meg" ADSL Max is available. When you were with TT they were providing you with "Up to 24 Meg" ADSL2+ from their own kit (DSLAM) that BT doesn't have the equivalent of there.

However if you are prepared to sit it out until April 2017 BT are scheduled to upgrade its kit to ADSL2+ there then.

This sort of thing is also discussed in Has EE Promised to Match Talktalk or Sky Speeds? .

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Thanks, the link was good enlightenment.
Another option would be EE fibre I suppose but would that cabinet support it and enable me a better speed as I can not any longer trust any advice I might recieve from EE and I feel duped.
Now I know up to 8 meg is all I might achieve until BT update the cabinet do I have to suck it up or is there a case here I may terminate this EE contract without penalties.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

To see if you can get Fibre there see what BT Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number. Post just the table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

I think you have a case of misrepresentation.

Investigator

I could not keep the the table structure.

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER

on Exchange HARDWICKE is served by Cabinet 6

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

WBC FTTC 18x2 Provide Availability

WBC FTTC 18x2 Sim Availability

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low         VDSL Range A (Clean) 58.7 44 13.9 8.9 40 Available -- -- -- -- VDSL Range B (Impacted) 48.1 30 11.6 5.6 22.4 Available -- -- -- --

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 18 -- 14 to 20 Capacity expected 31 March 2017 -- -- -- -- WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 18 Up to 1.5 14 to 20 Capacity expected 31 March 2017 -- -- -- -- ADSL Max Up to 8 -- 7 to 8 Available -- -- -- -- Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- -- -- --

Other Offerings

Availability Date

VDSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- -- -- -- ADSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- -- -- --

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, you can get Fibre there, probably at around 50 Meg sync speed.

Also see that it confirms WBC ADSL 2+ expected there for 31 March 2017, at about 18 Meg sync speed. 

Investigator

Will give CS a call to vent although I expect to be held to my contract and will have to move to fibre.
The confirm dates 31 March 2017 for cabinet updates, how likely do they to actually happen or are they just pencilled in to happen at sometime around these dates that could take months longer?

Anyways   thanks for your time and very useful help today comrade.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You're v. welcome! Glad I could be of help, or at least of explanation, even tho' it's not what you wanted to hear.

I really don't know how likely BT is to upgrade its exchange, but they are trying to phase out 20CN ADSL Max exchanges.

Highlighted
Investigator

As a closing post, I rang EE CS to point out I feel duped into believing that after being shown my line speed could support between 10mbps and 19.50mbps, I was never going to get an higher speed than 8mbps as BT have not upgraded the cabinet unlike TT [my previous ISP] who installed their own kit.
Anyways, they will not accept any claims of misrepresentation blah blah....

Offered me fibre at £25pm up to 38mbps guaranteed 20.88mbps that is enough for my needs and which I have taken and we will see... 

People need to be aware of what their local cabinet has been installed with before signing to EE and their promised speeds using the BT broadband availabilty checker.
Your router will turn up after the 14 day cooling off period has expired before you get a chance to actually check your line speed, this is all by design on their part to tie you in to the contract.
I am stuck for 18mths with these sharks and have tried to better my mistake.
I do not recommend EE broadband and you should research your line capabilities first.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.