by
Investigator

Slow Fibre Speed in Evenings

So I have an ongoing issue where in the evenings my fibre speed drops. On the last test donr at 22.00 this evening it was 2.92 Mbps download 7.51 Mbps upload and 33.25 ms ping latency.

BT have come out on several occassions over the years. The main socket has been changed. A new router has been sent. BT engineer today found no issues. 

The drop in speed is almost always in the evenings which makes me wonder if it is to do with congestion. 

9 REPLIES
by
Grand Master

Re: Slow Fibre Speed in Evenings

If you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do not restart your router to do these tests:

1. Post your full router stats. For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings/ System/ DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page. Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

2. Try a wired speedtest here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html and copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link.

3. What exchange are you connected to? If you don't know use: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search and post the URL of your exchange page.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 020 7362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
by
Investigator

DSL STATUS This page shows information about your DSL connection. If you are using Ethernet Broadband then this page is not applicable.
STATUS   Configured Current Line Status -- UP Link Type -- Fast Path Operation Mode Automatic G.993.2 (VDSL2)
DATA RATE INFORMATION Upstream 8767 (Kbps) Downstream 39998 (Kbps)
DEFECT/FAILURE INDICATION Operation Data Upstream Downstream Noise Margin 6.2 (dB) 10.1 (dB) Line Attenuation 0.0 (dB) 15.1 (dB)
Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator Output Power 6.0 (dBm) 6.0 (dBm) Fast Path FEC Correction 80 808 Interleaved Path FEC Correction -- -- Fast Path CRC Error 0 592 Interleaved Path CRC Error -- -- Loss Of Signal Defect 0 0 Fast Path HEC Error STR 0 897 Interleaved Path HEC Error -- -- Error Seconds 98 188
STATISTICS Received Data 12660136 (Kbits) Transmitted Data 1644201 (Kbits)

System Uptime is: 19:18:48

by
Investigator

Highlighted
by
Investigator

STATUS

Configured            Current

Line Status                             --                             UP

Link Type                               --                             Fast Path

Operation Mode                  Automatic              G.993.2 (VDSL2)

DATA RATE INFORMATION

Upstream               9995 (Kbps)

Downstream         39998 (Kbps)

DEFECT/FAILURE INDICATION

Operation Data                     Upstream               Downstream

Noise Margin                        10.0 (dB)                10.2 (dB)

Line Attenuation                  0.0 (dB)                  14.9 (dB)

Indicator Name                                    Near End Indicator              Far End Indicator

Output Power                                      4.6 (dBm)                               4.6 (dBm)

Fast Path FEC Correction                   12808                                    223

Interleaved Path FEC Correction      --                                             --

Fast Path CRC Error                             0                                              4203

Interleaved Path CRC Error                --                                             --

Loss Of Signal Defect                          1                                              0

Fast Path HEC Error STR                     0                                              2908

Interleaved Path HEC Error               --                                             --

Error Seconds                                       303                                         285

STATISTICS

Received Data       12960387 (Kbits)

Transmitted Data 580119 (Kbits)

System Uptime is: 36:45:35

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=1487106189135171555

BT Wholesale Speed Test Results

DL 3.73

UL 8.64
Ping 30.75

https://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/EMSTBBS

by
Grand Master

Your BB is fine but your throughput is awful. Is that speedtest done wired? If not, can you do so?

Do these slowdowns only occur in the evening?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 020 7362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
by
Investigator

Hi

I have only noticed the drop in the evenings never during the day.

Yep wired test always.

by
Grand Master

Sorry, I can't see any reason for that. Just on the off-chance try the following & repost full router stats & TBB speedtest.

Try plugging your router into the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate?

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (dial 17070 Opt 2), preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

by
Investigator

I have a master socket with two sockets which was put in a while out by BT engineer.

Nothing else is connected to socket (made sure of it when the socket was changed and have just double checked)

BT engineer did a quiet test a few days ago and there was no noise. 

by
Grand Master

They can be faulty. I had a master socket faceplate with two sockets which was put in by BT engineer when he was round for something entirely diff. It made the phone noisy & the BB slower. I have since run with just the normal NTE5 faceplate with a dangly filter.

If you care to test at the test socket please follow How to access test socket on Openreach master socket .

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.