by SlowInternet Investigator
Investigator

Slow Broadband

Hello,

For the past week or so I've been having a very slow broadband connection (previously at around 17mbps). Now the download speed reaches only around 0.5 mbps. The router has been rebooted multiple times, the test socket was used (although the backplate of the master socket wasn't connected with any wires) and tried changing the DNS adresses to 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 as suggested in a guide on the community. I've had no issues with this service before...

Status 
Configured Current
Line Status
Link Type
Operation Mode
--UP
--Interleaved Path
AutomaticG.992.5 (ADSL2+)
Data Rate Information
Upstream
Downstream
743 (Kbps)
572 (Kbps)
Defect/Failure Indication
Operation Data Upstream
DownstreamNoise
MarginLine Attenuation
2.7 (dB)9.7 (dB)
21.8 (dB)34.5 (dB)

Indicator Name
Near End Indicator
Far End Indicator
Output Power
Fast Path FEC Correction
Interleaved Path FEC Correction
Fast Path CRC Error
Interleaved Path CRC Error
Loss of Signal Defect
Fast Path HEC Error STR
Interleaved Path HEC Error
Error Seconds
12.7 (dBm)0.0 (dBm)
----
----
----

Speedtest: http://www.speedtest.net/result/7400894471

5 REPLIES 5
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Slow Broadband

You should be syncing at about 12 Meg instead of the 572 K that you are. The reason you are not is that the DLM system has put you on a banded profile in response to past errors on your line, at the top of the 2nd lowest of these ADSL Banded Profiles, altho' you now show no significant errors. You need to give the DLM time to relent & remove any banding. Leave it alone for at least 7 days & don't reset or resync the router. If it's still banded you should then call EE to get the DLM reset in order to remove any banding. However should significant errors persist the DLM will reapply banding.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Thank you for letting me know, but I've just had the broadband briefly disconnect and reconnect. Does that suggest any other issue or is it still a line problem?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You mean it is disconnecting & reconnecting of its own accord? That is a symptom of the as yet unknown cause that is triggering the banding.

Don't touch it yourself now but please post the router stats & Uptime now & perhaps in a few days time.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Screenshot_20180619-201650_Chrome.jpg

It's been a few days since the problem started. The router has been on for about 22 hours. Are the remaining high noise margin levels causing the banding and is it an issue with noise on the line that needs fixing? 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

No, it's the reverse. The banding limits your speeds which in turn results in high NMs.

You are still being banded altho' there is no sign of significant errors.

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (dial 17070 Opt 2), preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.