by Rose21
Explorer

Set up windows Mail to coincide with the expiry of old freeserve email addresses

Hello, I only use home broadband and Bright Box for wifi, however, I've now discovered my email address which I've used since 2000 will no longer be able to send or receive emails after the 31st May 2017. I am well aware I can use Gmail, hotmail, yahoo or any other web based email client, but that is not what I want to do. So I would like to know if you can tell me how I can set up to receive and send email from PC, not online. I'm using Vista premium home, and Windows Mail which is the standard included email client on vista. 

Currently when I want to add a POP3 email, I just open "Tools" once windows mail is selected click on "Accounts" then either add or modify an email address. With BT, Vodafone and many other broadband packages you can create an email address i.e. ***8@btinternet.com, ****@vodafone.co.uk etc....IF EE is now saying customers can no longer use their PC and the installed email client then EE will have shot themselves in the foot. Please don't make sugggestions for web based email - I will change broadband providers if EE have not thought to consider their long standing customers who want to use Windows Mail or Outlook.

My other concerns - My Bright Box for my broadband uses my old fsnet member username, so how is this altered to coincide with the 31st May.

*Self care username: which cannot be altered from my EE account uses part of the email address that will no longer be able to be used from the 31.05

What happens to all the old Freeserve addresses that people, like me have used for 10, 20 years, where do the emails go for accounts missed by your customers as I'm sure there will be 1000's to go astray? Why haven't EE set up an account for at least 12 months after the change over to catch missed changes. It's dreadful. If any of these old freeserve/wanadoo address are created by some scammer, then a lot of peoples secure and private information may end up in the wrong hands. I would appreciate some advice as I'm seriously thinking about looking elsewhere for my broadband and will be making this decision over the next week depending on the reply I receive. Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Set up windows Mail to coincide with the expiry of old freeserve email addre

1. EE are not saying customers can no longer use their PC and the installed email client at all. All they are saying that you cannot use your Freeserve email addy after 31 May. You may continue to use Windows Mail (do you actually mean Windows Live Mail?) with any other email addy you wish to acquire. You could apply for a Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo or any other email addy & you do not have to use their Webmail, just like you did with Freeserve.
  2. After 31 May when anyone sends an email to your Freeserve email addy they will get back a bounce msg telling them the email addy does not exist.
  3. I never make suggestions for Webmail. I'm all for POP3 email clients on your PC, keeping all your emails on your PC not on their servers. Just look at the mess many EE email users have got into by not realising that :(!
  4. Your BB Username in your router is not affected by the email closure. Altho' it resembles your Freeserve email addy, it is just a unique string of chars that IDs you to the EE servers.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Rose21
Explorer

Re: Set up windows Mail to coincide with the expiry of old freeserve email addre

Hello XRaySpex, thank you for your reply to my dilemma. Firstly, no I didn't mean Windows Live Mail - I mean Windows mail the incorportated email client installed on my PC. I realise regardless of how many people find the whole this frustrating and time consumming to deal with - EE is going ahead. I did some research last night, and it appears EE is the only broadband provider that does not permit people to set up an email address pertaining to their ISP domain name... As with BT, Vodafone, Plusnet and several others. I spent last night and much of this morning trying to set up my Live.co.uk email on my computer, and it's fraught with problems, as with others who have tried to do the same with GMail...and frankly why should we. An internet service provider should think of this before deciding to make such drastic changes after several years. EE could still provide their customers with an alternative, NOT free webased email but a ******@eebroadband.co.uk as an example, instead of people having to sign up to some webased email and then have to try and configure the many configurations all over the internet..it is a nightmare!

I presume "Orangehome.co.uk" is not changing as the broadband POP3 and SMTP settings, however, as I will no longer be able to use my "username" that I've used for some 17 years as it has "fsnet" in it, then what am I to use when I'm requested for the username as of yet, no one has informed me. All this should have been handled by EE well in advance, and by that I don't mean sending emails to customers to view links or furums...which basically means EE doesn't do the work, but their customer.

So perhaps you can throw some further light on to the issues I'm hugely concerned about. Over two hours at this already today, and it's still not resolved. Thank you, I appreciate your time.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Rose21

I know you are having a conversation with @XRaySpeX regarding the matters outlined in your post.

Have you had a chance to have a look at our ORANGE EMAIL CLOSURE help and support pages?

We are providing as much help and support as we can to help with the transfer to a new provider by the 31st of May 2017.

We also have a dedicated email help and support line on 0800 079 0324 who will gladly help you through any concerns or questions you have.

I hope the move for you goes as smoothly as possible.

Thank you

Richard

🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Rose21 wrote:

I presume "Orangehome.co.uk" is not changing as the broadband POP3 and SMTP settings,

No, Once Orange email closes on 31 May, everything goes, your mailbox, POP3 & SMTP servers, Webmail & all. You can use nowt thereafter. Anyway you won't need them. Whichever new email provider you go with will provide their own POP3 & SMTP servers.

To configure your email client for GMail follow GMail POP3 Configuration instructions.

To configure your email client for Outlook.com Mail (Live, Hotmail)  follow Add your Outlook.com account to another mail app.

@Rose21 wrote:

an alternative, NOT free webased email

All email is Internet based. That's where your mailbox is stored & the servers are. Most, if not, all email providers provide a Webmail front-end as a simple email client but also to admin your settings, like password & spam filtering. So there isn't really any such thing as non-web-based email, just that you choose never to use their Webmail. What you are really getting at is ISP-provided email or not.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.