cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

SMART HUB and ftp issues

DAVB
Explorer

Hi ,

Really need some help , just upgraded from BB to a Samrt Hub and I had no issues using ftp tool fire zilla or cyberduck to upload tom my hosting site previousley with the BB . 

I cannot get a connection to work with the new HUB , have tested everything via the mobile and all works ok between  ftp client tool and hosting site so clerly the new HUB is the problem . Is there a simple guide to sort this out ? Non techy so please simple step by step would be appreciated .

Regards Dave

16 REPLIES 16
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@DAVB : Does BB = Brightbox?

Are you running an FTP server on your LAN? Is the hosting site on your LAN?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thanks for the response , The ftp site is remote I use fast hosts . I just normally use FileZilla to connect and upload files to web site 

I've just seen this post, and I have the identical problem. Everything has been working fine, and I now have the same problem. I've not updated anything, been through to EE support, who reset the router, which generated a red light error. They've now contacted Openreach who run the infrastructure.

Seems strange that this problem was reported by you last year, and I'm only just experiencing the same issue now. I see there hasn't been any resolution to this.

I got Fasthosts to check the FTP, and they could log in from their side using both a temporary account and also mine!

Use a EE account on my mobile (Tethered the mac to it), no problem!! FTP'ed straight in. 

So there is something definitely happening between the router, and Fasthost. The error I get is that the server can't be found. Wondering of EE have block a range of addresses perhaps?

Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @SP191

Have you tried opening the ports? FTP uses port 21 and SFTP uses port 22.

Chris

You don't need open ports to reach a remote server; only when you are running an FTP server on your own LAN that that you want others to access from afar.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Did you find a solution to this?

I've had a similar issue over the last few days where I can't use Transmit FTP on my Mac to access a couple of websites I own. It can't possibly be my router/broadband can it I thought? And then found this topic...

Kirigaya_Kazuto
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

The Smart Hub is 4G isn't it? It could be EE block FTP file transfers, does it get stuck connecting or do you get an error when trying to transfer a file?

You don't need to open ports when as it's an outbound connection - not incoming.

Can you test it via a hotspot connection?

@Kirigaya_Kazuto wrote:

The Smart Hub is 4G isn't it? 

No! What makes you think it is? It's an ordinary DSL Modem/Router for fixed line BB.

EE don't block outgoing FTP anyway & for unsolicited incoming FTP you may open ports to allow that access.

@XRaySpeX When I googled EE smart hub, the first result was the wireless broadband page. However, looking at the setup guide, I can see it's not

https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/phones-and-devices/ee/smart-hub#getting-started/set-up-guide