Highlighted
by AdrianFleet
Explorer

Remove 5GHz- prefix from SSID

Hello!

I've just joined EE with a Fibre Plus account, and have received a new Smart Hub. All is working fine, but I'd like to retain my previous SSID names - unfortunately when separating the 2.4GHZ and 5GHz frequencies the Smart Hub adds a "5GHz-" prefix which I can't remove.

I see this was an option on the older Bright Boxes - does anyone know if this can be achieved? I'm comfortable with telnet if there's a hidden option.

Cheers!

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Remove 5GHz- prefix from SSID

With the SH:

• If you don't separate the bands both bands have the identical SSID. That's what separation separates.
  • If you do separate the bands the 5GHz band is forced to have the "5GHz-" prefix but the rest of the SSIDs may be diff.

This is unlike the BB2 where the 5GHz band need not have the "5GHz-" prefix but the SSIDs may still be diff. The BB2 has no concept of separate bands cuz there is no need to separate anything.

There is no known Telnet access to the SH w/out opening it up & patching to its serial port :smileywink:.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
3 REPLIES 3
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

With the SH:

• If you don't separate the bands both bands have the identical SSID. That's what separation separates.
  • If you do separate the bands the 5GHz band is forced to have the "5GHz-" prefix but the rest of the SSIDs may be diff.

This is unlike the BB2 where the 5GHz band need not have the "5GHz-" prefix but the SSIDs may still be diff. The BB2 has no concept of separate bands cuz there is no need to separate anything.

There is no known Telnet access to the SH w/out opening it up & patching to its serial port :smileywink:.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by AdrianFleet
Explorer

Thanks @XRaySpeX - that's a shame, I was hoping I could continue with the naming convention I had on my previous BT Home Hub and Plusnet One Hub. I guess I'll just have to hope that my devices choose 5GHz over 2.4GHz!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.