Highlighted
by AdrianFleet Investigator
Investigator

Remove 5GHz- prefix from SSID

Hello!

I've just joined EE with a Fibre Plus account, and have received a new Smart Hub. All is working fine, but I'd like to retain my previous SSID names - unfortunately when separating the 2.4GHZ and 5GHz frequencies the Smart Hub adds a "5GHz-" prefix which I can't remove.

I see this was an option on the older Bright Boxes - does anyone know if this can be achieved? I'm comfortable with telnet if there's a hidden option.

Cheers!

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Remove 5GHz- prefix from SSID

With the SH:

• If you don't separate the bands both bands have the identical SSID. That's what separation separates.
  • If you do separate the bands the 5GHz band is forced to have the "5GHz-" prefix but the rest of the SSIDs may be diff.

This is unlike the BB2 where the 5GHz band need not have the "5GHz-" prefix but the SSIDs may still be diff. The BB2 has no concept of separate bands cuz there is no need to separate anything.

There is no known Telnet access to the SH w/out opening it up & patching to its serial port Smiley Wink.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

With the SH:

• If you don't separate the bands both bands have the identical SSID. That's what separation separates.
  • If you do separate the bands the 5GHz band is forced to have the "5GHz-" prefix but the rest of the SSIDs may be diff.

This is unlike the BB2 where the 5GHz band need not have the "5GHz-" prefix but the SSIDs may still be diff. The BB2 has no concept of separate bands cuz there is no need to separate anything.

There is no known Telnet access to the SH w/out opening it up & patching to its serial port Smiley Wink.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

View solution in original post

Investigator

Thanks @XRaySpeX - that's a shame, I was hoping I could continue with the naming convention I had on my previous BT Home Hub and Plusnet One Hub. I guess I'll just have to hope that my devices choose 5GHz over 2.4GHz!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance.

by MartinRD_
Explorer

Hi sorry, how is this a solution?  I cannot remove the prefix and the solution seems to be "leave it in then"

Issue "My car doesn't work"
Solution "don't try drive it"

Is there really no solution?  I have swapped the router out but now I need update all devices on 5ghz bandwidth because I cannot mirror the SSID?

Yes I could chose not to separate, but I equally then need to update all devices.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Sorry, @MartinRD_ , but it answers to OP's Q as to whether it can be achieved. The answer was "No"! You just can't have separate SSIDs w/out having a "5GHz-" prefix to 1 of them with this particular router. It ain't broke; just that it won't mimic what you've done before.

There's nowt to stop you buying a generic ADSL/VDSL modem/router which will almost certainly have stronger functionality.

by MartinRD_
Explorer

Thanks for the speedy response.  Though I appreciate your definition I don't feel that would really come through for the average reader.  I won't press further mind as I am sure I am not the first person to have raised this.   

I will set about finding devices and trying to stop them all failing over to 2.4 GHz

FYI I did try this but it didn't work

https://rewster.uk/2018/02/26/renaming-5-ghz-network-ssid-on-ee-smarthub-with-microsoft-edge/

Investigator

Thanks for resurrecting this post - I opted to replace the EE hub with a DrayTek 130 and Google WiFi and have had zero downtime since (you can also adjust the SNR on the DrayTek which potentially improves sync speeds)

by Patrick_Rice Established Contributor
Established Contributor

To be short, this is utterly utterly PATHETIC.

EE didn't tell me, that when switching to them from Plusnet, I would have to reconnect to a new Wifi SSID on every single last device my family own.

I can give you a list of all of the ones I can think of for now if you want, individually, but suffice to say, EE have just made it necessary for me to go into the settings on at least THIRTY different devices (some of which are a very convoluted process, unlike smartphones etc). and configure it to connect to an entirely new SSID!

And all because they think we are too DUMB to do their work for them, and I therefore can't use the same SSIDs I have used since the day 5GHz came out, which are Derwent_2.4G, and Derwent_5G (so I ALREADY covered the different frequencies bit for myself THANK YOU).

I now have to set about re-configuring countless devices.

EE, it's not us that are DUMB - it's very definitely YOU!

(As if it wasn't bad enough me having to bin/ditch my two BT Business Smarthubs I already owned and purchased, all simply because of the username format you insist on using, not being compatible with your Parent Company's better quality devices, even though Plusnet, my previous provider, worked fine with them).

GAAAAAAAAAAAAH

You know 'that day' that you move from one ISP to another, and the very day the switch happens you find yourself asking "Why the Hell did I do such a stupidly DUMB thing.."

Yeah, today is definitely THAT day it seems!

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.