by slashyb Investigator
Investigator

Really slow broadband recently

i All,

I'm on EE's fibre package that should provide 40mb down and 10 up, it's been rock solid at those speeds (actually a little faster than that on average) for the past year and a half almost.

In the last 2-3 weeks, my speeds have really tanked, the last week and a half have been awfully slow with web pages taking forever to load. I've spoken with EE, reset the router to factory defaults, have done some line tests over the phone and had it escalated to someone to check something their end. I've spoken to them again a few days later after the internet got slower still, and they dispatched a BT engineer to check my connection - all coming back fine. He mentioned a profile issue, or a router issue are likely to be the problem.

Here's some details from the router itself:

DSL Status This page shows information about your DSL connection. If you are using Ethernet Broadband then this page is not applicable.
Status   Configured Current Line Status -- UP Link Type -- Fast Path Operation Mode Automatic G.993.2 (VDSL2)
Data Rate Information Upstream 9995 (Kbps) Downstream 39998 (Kbps)
Defect/Failure Indication Operation Data Upstream Downstream Noise Margin 12.8 (dB) 18.4 (dB) Line Attenuation 0.0 (dB) 18.6 (dB)
Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator Output Power 6.8 (dBm) 6.8 (dBm) Fast Path FEC Correction 1668 2 Interleaved Path FEC Correction -- -- Fast Path CRC Error 0 676 Interleaved Path CRC Error -- -- Loss of Signal Defect 2 0 Fast Path HEC Error STR 0 705 Interleaved Path HEC Error -- -- Error Seconds 222 0

System Uptime is: 93:53:16

I've been doing some speed tests throughout the day and it seems to be full speed for a short while, then goes awfully slow for hours. Usually it's perfect just after midnight.

here's some full test results on a speed test I've just done now:

Can anyone see what might be the issue here please? I'm rapidly running out of options 😞

Thanks,
6 REPLIES 6
by slashyb Investigator
Investigator

Re: Really slow broadband recently

Oh, and just to add, I've tried removing everything from my network and just having one PC connected via ethernet - and I've also tried disabling WiFi to rule an errant device out on that.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Your BB connection is fine. You are getting the top of EE's Fibre product, 40/10 Meg. It is impossible to exceed those, altho' faulty speedtests might think you can.

Are you experiencing these issues over wired connections? Wireless can be unreliable & variable. The only certain way to get the best from BB is over Ethernet.

Was that TBB speedtest done over wireless?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

What exchange are you connected to? If you don't know use: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search and post the URL of your exchange page.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by slashyb Investigator
Investigator

Hi,

Thanks for replying - all speed tests are being done on a PC connected directly to the router via ethernet.

Here's a link to the exchange details you asked for:

https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/CMACO

It's just odd that for a few hours it'll run at the speeds it's always operated at, and then just completely tanks for hours at a time running very slowly. I can download at 4.2MB/sec during some periods (usually after midnight), and other times it'll struggle to get past 500KB/sec.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

What hours? Is it only at peak hours?

Where is the router positioned? Is it near any electrical gear that starts up at night?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Try plugging your router into the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate?

Post the router stats & Uptime when plugged into test socket.

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (dial 17070 Opt 2), preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.