by paulebb Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Unable to connect using Netgear Nighthawk 7000

I have just had EE G Fast internet installed and the service is not very good at all!! My wifi drops off when I leave the same room as the hub and I’m using BT Wi-Fi hotspots and extender.so I have just bought a netgear d7000 v2 router and connected it up but when I enter the username and password from the ISP the router does not connect??

i have noticed the internet and Dsl lights do not come on? The internet light comes on briefly when I enter my details and press apply, but the DSL light does nothing? I have tried connecting the Dsl cable direct to the d7000 from the master socket and also from the BT modem which comes with the EE hub. And no lights either way?

any help to get me connected to the network would be gratefully received. 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor
Solution

Forget wifi - that has nothing to do with the primary issue - they have not got 219megs to your router.  I doubt the routers are at fault.

G-Fast is a very niche product. Not many people have it - it is a bit of a bodge engineering for pushing data where it normally wouldn't get.  So it may be they have not configured the link from master socket to the router correctly, or the EE router itself.   If they have measured 219megs - is that measured from the exchange or at the master socket?   If it is measured using Openreach equipment connected to the socket then clearly that suggests replacing their equipment with the EE router has failed to replicate the speed of 219megs.   I presume the EE router has a admin settings display that states the speeds it is receiving?   (and please don't use wifi to do any measurement)

13 REPLIES 13
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

The Netgear D7000 is a VDSL Router, not a G Fast one, so is not going to work on a direct connection.

It will need the BT/Openreach modem, and set it up as a router - have a look on the Netgear Support site for more details.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

"I have just had EE G Fast internet installed and the service is not very good at all!! My wifi drops off when I leave the same room as the hub and I’m using BT Wi-Fi hotspots and extender."

I am just curious about your first statement - "using BT WiFi Hotspots".  What is that?   Do you mean picking up on your neighbours BTWiFi with Fon?  That is not advisable and the wifi will have a very poor reach.   You should use the Router that came with your G-Fast install and connect to the correct wifi channel from that router.  Whilst I like Netgear, they should be no need to replace the router supplied with EE's G-Fast.

Valued Contributor

Sorry for the confusion. I have BT mini Wi-Fi home hotspot 500 multi kit. 

Basically you get one small unit the connects to your router using Ethernet and this unit is plugged into a mains socket which then creates a wireline connection, making all of the hard wire sockets able to run internet signal. I then plug a small extender socket which you can plug in near your pc and connect from the extender unit to the pc using Ethernet  giving you internet access. The small extender units also give off a Wi-Fi signal to connect using Wi-Fi.

i am wanting to install the net gear router as I have had three EE routers installed in the past 8 weeks or so and still do not have full speed internet. The BT engineer says there is up to 219mb/s going to my house but when it gets to the router it comes out at 20 - 80 and EE promised me a minimum of 197.20 mb/s? And the Wi-Fi signal drops to no connection when approx 3 metres from the router?

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Ah.

So there are 2 distinct issues here. 

Speed at the master socket is not the same as speed leaving the router.

And wifi reach.

The first one is a matter of Openreach and EE sorting it out.  Clearly if your router reads 80meg max next to the master socket receiving 219megs then EE have failed to provide you the speed they guarantee.  Call them - get an engineer.

Wifi you can sort later.

Valued Contributor

I’ve had three engineers out for the three new EE hubs, they say I’m getting a steady 219 into the property and blames the router. EE say they’ve tested the line and it needs the engineer out? 

I am sitting about 3 metres from the router and the Wi-Fi signal is on/off intermittently?

i downloaded an app called “home dashboard” this measures the possible Wi-Fi signal from the router (which doesn’t have to be connected to internet), and the signal goes from +1000 to no connection again intermittently. 

So, I’m not getting full download speed as promised and the Wi-Fi is non existent... I’m close to calling it a day and going with another provider!!!! 

I’m wIting 5-10 days each time they send a new router out... hence I would like to set up my netgear which would also confirm if it’s my line or the router depending on if it sets up ok or not??

Valued Contributor

I’ve had 3 engineers out who all say it’s the router and the line is fine? 

I would like to set up the net gear to confirm the routers are good or not. If I can connect the netgear and it works then it’s the EE routers? If it doesn’t work then it must be the line? 

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor
Solution

Forget wifi - that has nothing to do with the primary issue - they have not got 219megs to your router.  I doubt the routers are at fault.

G-Fast is a very niche product. Not many people have it - it is a bit of a bodge engineering for pushing data where it normally wouldn't get.  So it may be they have not configured the link from master socket to the router correctly, or the EE router itself.   If they have measured 219megs - is that measured from the exchange or at the master socket?   If it is measured using Openreach equipment connected to the socket then clearly that suggests replacing their equipment with the EE router has failed to replicate the speed of 219megs.   I presume the EE router has a admin settings display that states the speeds it is receiving?   (and please don't use wifi to do any measurement)

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Forget the netgear for th moment. That just muddies the issue and gives EE and get-out as they'll say "we don't support 3rd party."

The EE router is what has been supplied by EE so they MUST get you a working system with the kit they supplied.   With all your wifi repeaters / homeplugs / old phone lines connected inside the master socket and extensions and electrical kit taken out of service - just connect the EE router to the socket. NOTHING else.   Then try.  

Forget wifi - confuses and gives them an excuse to blame you.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

PS.  Has the huawei modem been installed correctly?  There are obviously two cables that might be at fault.

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Broadband-home-phone/EE-Fibre-Max-2-Installation-Review-G-fast/td-p/71...

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@paulebb: With G.Fast the DSL light of the router will never come on. There is no BB at the router, only at the BT modem. It's the modem that must be connected to the phone socket as the EE router is not G.Fast capable. So you have a BT G.Fast modem in between to receive the signal & pass it on to the router.

Which EE router do you have?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@paulebb: In the case of G.Fast any speeds quoted by EE & the eng are referring to the sync speed at the BT G.Fast modem, not the router. However as the modem is locked you can't see these speeds.

1. What does it say after you log into the router:

• For a BrightBox: in the Internet section on the initial Status page or
  • For a Smart Hub: on the Advanced Settings / Broadband / Internet page?

Obscure your names in the BB Username but post the 1st 2 parts of the IP addy.

2. Try a wired speedtest, using an Ethernet cable supplied with the router, here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html . Click on the "Results Page" button at the bottom of the graph you first see and then copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link that you see below the next main graph.

3. What does BT Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Valued Contributor

Hi XRay,

apologies for the late answer. I’ve been busy all afternoon.

i took delivery of the third router today. 

I used the cables that came with it and connected to the internet. Low and behold it connected straight away without prompting. 

I checked the speed at my apple pc and getting 198 mb/s download through the Ethernet. 

The wireless range has increased dramatically and with the extenders connected I get full signal all around my large house. 

The kids are in now and on their gaming pc’s and whatever and no complaints from them so far. 

I will try what you said tomorrow if I get a minute.

I would like to thank you and all of the others who replied to my post.

you have really helped me to solve my dilemma but to give me a better understanding of how it all works. 

by
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for the update @paulebb 

I'm happy to hear your new router has improved your speeds.

James

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.