by ColinL451 Investigator
Investigator

Re: Unable to connect to esta site using my home broadband,

I could reach the US Homeland page, no problem. However,  clicking on the apply for an esta tab was a different story! No way could I access it. Reading through the various posts on this and other forums , it would seem that this is a commonly reported problem - with the best advice being go to Mc Donald’s and access it from there. So, I rang the EE technical helpline and spoke to a very nice man in Ireland who said that I should take the advice offered on this forum with a pinch of salt. He scrutinised my router settings, confirmed with me that in every other respect I had no problems in access webpages on the internet and suggested that the problem was with the US Homeland Security Website and that I should contact the US Consulate as to how to proceed further.

The solution that worked was to ring a former colleague at their place of work to try and access the tab from their office machine. No problem at all - so, went over and filled out the form there. On that basis I think the Mc Donald’s suggestion posted elsewhere would probably work just as well.

All resolved in the end, but what a pain! Surely EE can’t keep blaming the US Homeland website and their advisors should be more clued up than they actually are in respect of this issue.

8 REPLIES 8
Investigator

Re: unable to access US ESTA website https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/ through my EE rou

I could reach the US Homeland page, no problem. However,  clicking on the apply for an esta tab was a different story! No way could I access it. Reading through the various posts on this and other forums , it would seem that this is a commonly reported problem - with the best advice being go to Mc Donald’s and access it from there. So, I rang the EE technical helpline and spoke to a very nice man in Ireland who said that I should take the advice offered on this forum with a pinch of salt. He scrutinised my router settings, confirmed with me that in every other respect I had no problems in access webpages on the internet and suggested that the problem was with the US Homeland Security Website and that I should contact the US Consulate as to how to proceed further.

The solution that worked was to ring a former colleague at their place of work to try and access the tab from their office machine. No problem at all - so, went over and filled out the form there. On that basis I think the Mc Donald’s suggestion posted elsewhere would probably work just as well.

All resolved in the end, but what a pain! Surely EE can’t keep blaming the US Homeland website and their advisors should be more clued up than they actually are in respect of this issue.

by Profile closed
Not applicable

This issue is affecting everyone on every ISP as the issue at at their end.  They clearly don't have enough server capacity to cope with the demand.

My dad was also trying to apply this morning and he said it took him ages as the application web pages kept timing out.  He wasn't using an EE network connection either.

He managed it in the end but it took him several attempts.

All I can suggest you do is keep trying.  There is nothing any of the ISP's can do unfortunately.

Investigator

Hi, Thanks for that info’. Glad your Dad got sorted in the end. I couldn’t even get the esta page to open! Very frustrating, but all done now.
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@ColinL451: Have you tried changing your DNS as I suggested in the 1st thread you posted in?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Employee

Hi @ColinL451 and welcome to the community.

Please see the Google DNS pages which is what @XRaySpeX is referring to.

Many thanks,

Lee

Highlighted
Investigator

Hi,
No I haven’t, as I don’t have an issue with accessing anything else on the internet - and the go somewhere else and do it there solution worked fine - even though it was a pain.
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Lee_H: No, I wasn't! I give peeps a choice, unlike EE Smiley Wink.

I was referring to https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Broadband-home-phone/unable-to-access-US-ESTA-website-https-esta-cbp-d... which the OP would've seen when he 1st posted.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Employee

My apologies @XRaySpeX

I only know of the Google ones 🙂

Many thanks,

Lee

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.