by jimshrapnel
Explorer

Re: Slow speed on Fiber Plus

Hi

I'm going through the same experience since upgrading to fibre plus. I know the line is capable of 72.3 Mbps down as I've had an Openreach engineer out however I am getting the following on the hub.

Capture.JPG

Even though I'm getting 67 Mbps on the EE Hub I am only getting 60 Mbps down and 15 up,

Capture2.JPG

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1555251778595329055

I spoke to EE tech support yesterday and was told I was going down a rabbit hole trying to get a faster speed...pretty technical response I thought! I was even told to try plugging in to a different Ethernet port on the hub. When I said I'm consistently only getting 60 Mbps on speed tests I was told that they're not accurate.

On my EE I'm quoted the following:

Minimum Fibre Download Speed is 66.0 Mb/Sec

Maximum Fibre Download Speed is 72.8 Mb/Sec

Minimum Fibre Upload Speed is 17.3 Mb/Sec

Maximum Fibre Upload Speed is 18.2 Mb/Sec

Minimum Guaranteed Download Speed is 59.30 Mb/Sec

What I am struggling to understand is if the line is capable of 72, why I am I only seeing 67 and further more only able to achieve a max of 60?

I'll be calling them up again and quoting this post so thanks for sharing your experience with what happened with Openreach.

Has anyone else got any other opinion on these results?

Cheers

4 REPLIES 4
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @jimshrapnel,

Welcome to the EE Community.

It looks like you are getting well over your minimum guaranteed speed at your router.

Was your speed test performed over a wired connection?

Thanks

James

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@jimshrapnel : All speeds quoted by ISPs & BT, incl. the EE estimates you quoted, are of the sync speeds reported by the router. Speedtest results, as implied by EE, are unreliable & they have no control over the Net. Your speedtests are a bit on the slow side but not drastically.

Has any work been done on your line or in the neighbourhood recently? Have you always got this sync speed since switching?

What does BT Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by jimshrapnel
Explorer

Hi and thanks for responding both you and James_B

I have ran speed tests over Ethernet and wireless and all results are coming in at 60 Mbps. I would expect that if the router is getting 67 then this is what I should expect when running these tests?

I only switched to fibre plus about 3 weeks ago, before then I was getting 38 Mbps. Openreach swapped the socket in my house a week ago and since then I'm getting slightly lower speeds than I was before.

What do you make of the results below?

Cheers

[Mod edit: Image removed as it contained personal information. (ie. a phone number)]BBCheckerJPG.JPG

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@jimshrapnel wrote:

I would expect that if the router is getting 67 then this is what I should expect when running these tests?

No, never! There are overheads to be carried over BB. On Fibre the most you can expect from speed tests is about 95% of sync.

Where are you getting slightly lower speeds than before? On standard fibre you were getting 40 Meg sync.

What about those router stats? You posted them before.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.