Highlighted
by
Investigator

Re: Orange Email closure 31st May 2017: Help and advice

While I am annoyed at this and having being a long term orange customer since age of 18 now 38 you can do the maths. And the fact that my oldest email I have is dated 2009 of the ones that I saved.

The thing that has really pissed me off and I will be moving as soon as I can is the fact that EE block port 25 which prevents me from running my own mail server,

Considering that you are now part of BT and they do not block this port, I think that this is **bleep** right silly. You should either block it as a whole ie the company group and all within that umbrella or not (either way it should all be the same regardless of what name is on the head of the monthly bill)

Now I love the service that EE provide but I get the feeling that this is now the final straw for me unless that is you decided to follow BT and allow access to port 25.

Dave.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by
Grand Master
Solution
Accepted by Lee_H (EE Community Support Team)
‎20-04-2017 05:49 PM

EE BB No Longer Block Port 25 SMTP

[ Edited ]

@Vosperd: Since this email closure & at my suggestion EE no longer block Port 25 SMTP over their Home BB network, for the very reason that other users on EE Home BB may have mail providers who will only provide a Port 25 SMTP, rather than the authenticated non-Port 25 SMTP that many mail providers, like GMail & Hotmail, do.

This policy had not & has not anything to do with what BT, or even PN, do. These are separate independent operating companies under the same umbrella, that's all!

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 020 7362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
4 REPLIES
by
Grand Master
Solution
Accepted by Lee_H (EE Community Support Team)
‎20-04-2017 05:49 PM

EE BB No Longer Block Port 25 SMTP

[ Edited ]

@Vosperd: Since this email closure & at my suggestion EE no longer block Port 25 SMTP over their Home BB network, for the very reason that other users on EE Home BB may have mail providers who will only provide a Port 25 SMTP, rather than the authenticated non-Port 25 SMTP that many mail providers, like GMail & Hotmail, do.

This policy had not & has not anything to do with what BT, or even PN, do. These are separate independent operating companies under the same umbrella, that's all!

__________________________________________________________________________________________
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 020 7362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
by
Investigator

Re: EE BB No Longer Block Port 25 SMTP

@XRaySpeX with the information you supplied I had my friend an IT Manager bring his mail server and add it to my system and run a test using Microsofts test program it failed to connect every time,

Even with removing the fire walls and port forwarding this still failed, So the conclusion is that either port 25 smpt is blocked by EE or maybe it is block at the router that EE send out.

by
EE Community Support Team

Good evening @Vosperd

I am sure @XRaySpeX will be along to offer some further assistance to you this evening if he is on.

Cheers

Richard

Smiley Happy

by
Grand Master

EE routers don't block Port 25.

A lot can go wrong setting up your own email server from scratch. E.g. MX records, SPF records ...

You could confirm it much more simply. Get yourself an email addy from a provider who supplies a port 25 SMTP & send an email from it over the EE BB network. I've just done it with AOL.com (Port 25 Authenticated, no SSL) & Yahoo.com (Port 25 Authenticated, with SSL). And it works!

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.