by Begonia

Re: Leaving Fee Refund

Just filled in the website forms and it won't accept my details but now asks me to send an email to   Now I have to start again putting them in because I don't know how to scan bills and send them to EE.

Ageist discrimination assuming we are all IT literate and competent!

Begonia (76)

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Leaving Fee Refund

@Begonia: Did you fill out the form @ Broadband Contract Buyout from Old ISP ? What details would it not accept?


I expect you would need either:

  • A scanner for paper bills, or
  • A screen print or .PDF file of online bills.

Who is you old ISP? Someone knowing them might be able to tell you the best way to get off their bills.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.