by paganiniv Investigator
Investigator

Re: Can you unblock TCP Port 445 on my home broadband account?

yes, they are blocking port 445

as specified in traffic management rules

(For the techies amongst you we stop connections to non-EE SMTP servers on
port 25, and block NetBIOS)

EE, please unblock

16 REPLIES
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@paganiniv: That's an old TM KFI, Feb 2014. The latest, July 2017, can be found at EE Broadband Traffic Management Policy .

EE block no ports: 

Are any services, content, applications or protocols blocked on this product?**

No

Nowt to unblock! This issue is all Win 10's doing.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 0207 362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC = 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

its definitelly blocked

I have several linux machines at different places to test it out

I have

Product name -  Smart Hub
Firmware version:v0.00.24.06190-EE

tried to disable firewall on the router as well

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@paganiniv~: What are you actually trying to that uses port 445?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 0207 362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC = 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@paganiniv wrote:

its definitelly blocked

I have several linux machines at different places to test it out

I have

Product name -  Smart Hub
Firmware version:v0.00.24.06190-EE

tried to disable firewall on the router as well

If the devices are on your local network, then EE would not block access and this is a local configuration issue.

if you have a switch, then setup one pc to provide dhcp/dns and test without the router connected. You could even test locally by pulling out the internet connection and testing. If the router detects that the address you are sending to is on your internal network it will not reroute to the internet.

If you are connecting to devices at different locations, then yes EE can/may/will block ports and best solution is to use VPN or change the ports on the devices itself.

Investigator

I need to connect to Azure storage and simular services over the internet
port 445 is definitelly blocked on EE side

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

have you actually performed a google search

Google Is Your Friend

or

Connect to Azure with port 445 blocked

Investigator

yes, I have

do you understand the difference between syncing and mapping a network drive?

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@paganiniv wrote:

yes, I have

do you understand the difference between syncing and mapping a network drive?

yes i do,

but in your posts you don't mention you specifically want to map a drive or that you need to map a drive.

if you've got linux servers configured on your network, you could try the following (last post) which is also found on the internet.

Mapping Azure Fileshare with port 445 blocked

Investigator

I know how to make it complicated way, but I needed a simple and cheep solution
which did not work as expected and the fact that everyone on the forum was saying that EE is not blocking anything made it even more complicated to troubleshoot

so I had to spend whole evening to prove that EE is actually blocking port 445

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@paganiniv: Where are these Azure storage and similar services located? On your own LAN? If so, how are they connected to your LAN?

Investigator

"Microsoft Azure is a cloud computing service"

its not located on my LAN obviously

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@paganiniv wrote:

I know how to make it complicated way, but I needed a simple and cheep solution
which did not work as expected and the fact that everyone on the forum was saying that EE is not blocking anything made it even more complicated to troubleshoot

so I had to spend whole evening to prove that EE is actually blocking port 445

the OP was on about lan side, you've highjacked the thread with a different scenario - on the OP issues the information provided was correct that EE do not block ports on your local LAN.

You have posted on the thread that you are using a remote connection and thus which I've stated further up in this thread is the EE can/may/will block this port, this goes for most of the ISP's out there as this port is vunerable. If you really need to use this port then you really need a business ISP that will allow use of port 445, which ISP allows for this I'm unsure, but you won't be able to access this port on 99.99%-100% of consumer ISP's.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@mirdragon wrote:

the OP was on about lan side, you've highjacked the thread with a different scenario

I agree! This has become confusing. In fact the other OP thought the issue was on the WAN but it turned out to be a Win 10 issue on his LAN.

However I don't see how you can claim:

@mirdragon wrote:
EE can/may/will block this port 

How can you claim that EE "can/may/will" block port 445 when they now declare that they now block no ports whatsoever? Yes, over a year ago they did block port 445 along with SMTP port 25 but now it is easily tested that port 25 is not blocked. Any PC email client can do a send on port 25 wherever the mail provider allows it. Why should it be any diff for port 445?

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@XRaySpeX wrote:

@mirdragon wrote:

the OP was on about lan side, you've highjacked the thread with a different scenario

I agree! This has become confusing. In fact the other OP thought the issue was on the WAN but it turned out to be a Win 10 issue on his LAN.

However I don't see how you can claim:

@mirdragon wrote:
EE can/may/will block this port 

How can you claim that EE "can/may/will" block port 445 when they now declare that they now block no ports whatsoever? Yes, over a year ago they did block port 445 along with SMTP port 25 but now it is easily tested that port 25 is not blocked. Any PC email client can do a send on port 25 wherever the mail provider allows it. Why should it be any diff for port 445?

port 445 is different to port 25 and is more of a security issue so isp's will more or less block it to prevent ransomware like wannacry and it's derivatives which are easily spread across network drives of which port 445 is used for.

So the ISP is correct in blocking this ports to ensure security of it's systems as well as it's customers.

Highlighted
by tgp1987 Investigator
Investigator

I need to do exactely the same thing with my Azure Fileshare, it's really off-pissing.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@tgp1987: What OS are you running? If it is Win 10, I suggest you enable SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support in Windows Features. Win 10 started disabling this sometime in its life.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.