by Buddy_Bradley
Explorer

Re: Bright Box 2 has wrong system time.

Happening again for me - the servertest.online site confirms the NTP service is broken. 😞

28 REPLIES 28
by
EE Community Support Team

Good Morning @Buddy_Bradley

Thanks for coming here.

If you give us a call our Broadband Tech Gurus will be able to get this looked into for you.

Let us know how you get on.

Leanne.

by IanC-K Contributor
Contributor

Hi Leanne

Yes, the NTP service ceased sometime between 02:37 and 03:37 on 5 September, according to my system log. The effects are well documented on this thread, I think.

In other news, my internet service is now reliable! The BT guy swapped out my microfilter! That's all it was...

by Buddy_Bradley
Explorer

I don't need to waste my time calling, all the information that your "Tech Gurus" could possibly need is in this thread, repeated multiple times:

1) Your router software uses ntp.readytoconnect.co.uk for its system time

2) That service is unreliable

3) When it goes down, our routers don't know what time it is

It couldn't be simpler. Either update the router software to use a more reliable provider, or have the software people update the UI to let users manually set the router time. But considering there are threads about this issue going back four years, I won't hold my breath.

by Neilski Contributor
Contributor

That's a wee bit blunt @Buddy_Bradley but... my thoughts exactly!

I misunderstood @XRaySpeX's reply to me earlier in this thread - I thought he was saying that @Leanne_T was not EE staff but I now realise that she is a long-standing EE employee.

So I'm right back to being totally baffled that a systemic issue like this, which is likely to be affecting a large number of customers, doesn't instantly prompt a call by her or her forum-management colleagues to the tech support people.

How can it make sense for a customer (or indeed many customers!) to be expected to call EE to register a fault when (as has just been succinctly pointed out! :D) the problem is simple and very clearly explained in this thread? That feels pretty surreal.

I'm glad that I'm on a Smart Hub now, which isn't susceptible to this particular problem...

by mephistopheles Investigator
Investigator

Same problem here - I am not even able to get a DNS query on ntp.readytoconnect.co.uk. This is fairly annoying given that the time on the Bright Box 2 can't be set manually.

by

Hi @mephistopheles

Welcome to the community. 

The best people to speak to about this are our Tech Gurus

They can run through some troubleshooting steps with you, log the problem against your account and find a resolution for you.

Although the problem seems the same as others in the thread, the cause and fix may be different. 

Let us know how you get on.

Chris

by IanC-K Contributor
Contributor

Hi Christopher

There's no link to email a report in on the Tech Gurus  page.

I'd ring support myself, but it takes such an age. Is there no way that the support team, yourself or Leanne, can draw the fault fixing team's attention to this thread? A phone call can provide no more information than this, and there is an awful lot of technical expertise in the posts above.

Thanks - Ian

by

There's a live chat facility on that page, @IanC-K.

As I said before, the cause or fix could be different from person to person.

It's best for the Tech Gurus to log this against your account (and anyone else who has a similar problem), so that the correct troubleshooting steps are followed and recorded.

This way they'll be able to check if the cause and fix was the same and have specific examples to draw upon.

Chris

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Christopher_G wrote:

As I said before, the cause or fix could be different from person to person.

It won't be! If your router is showing Jan. dates in Sept. it can't possibly be a BB line problem. It's caused by the unavailability of EE's NTP server. A fix for 1 will be a fix for all!

It has been doing it for over 9 days now.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Dear Christopher,

thanks for your advice re the Tech Gurus. I am fairly confident what the cause of the problem is, as our internet connection works fine apart from the system time in the router. The router needs an NTP server to set the time and that is fixed to ntp.readytoconnect.co.uk. That domain has ceased to be registered, see below the output of nslookup ntp.readyconnect.co.uk:

>nslookup ntp.readytoconnect.co.uk
Server: dns.xxx.xxx.uk
Address: [IP address of DNS server]

*** dns.xxx.xxx.uk can't find ntp.readytoconnect.co.uk: Non-existent domain

Note that this output is the same whether I run the nslookup from home, i.e. through the DNS server of EE, or using an external DNS service.

So independent of our EE brightbox, the ntp service is down and the domain not registered anymore - so no way for the brightbox to get a time.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

That domain is registered to the domain host Namesco Limited but it expired on 4 Aug & has been SUSPENDED. EE has allowed it to lapse. That is the problem.

See http://whois.domaintools.com/readytoconnect.co.uk .

EE need to renew their registration with Namesco Limited ASAP. That'll fix it & is the only fix possible.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Thanks, yes, I agree, that's the only way to solve the problem - also just found the suspended domain registration ... or let users set the ntp server by themselves ...

by IanC-K Contributor
Contributor

I've been watching the Customer Service Chat and Technical Service Chat on the page Christopher gave us. On the rare occasions that the Technical Service Chat isn't busy, it declines a chat about a broadband issue. The Customer Service Chat is permanently busy. Well done Mephisopheles - with XRaySpex confirming it - I don't need to check, you clearly have expertise! ... ... Ian CK 

PS. -  No, I don't feel like buying the domain and running an NTP server just for BrightBox2 users... 😉 just in case you were about to ask

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@IanC-K : Live Chat is only available for mobile contracts.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

This is a diff event, Suspended domain, than previous thread, NTP server down. So I have separated this thread.

by

Hi everyone.

Thanks for all of your comments.

I've raised this with the team involved with NTP and they're currently looking for a fix as soon as possible.

Thanks again.

Chris

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Christopher_G : About time too. It's been not working for nearly 2 months. All EE needs to do is renew its domain registration and put a note in the corporate diary and on the wall near the desk of the NTP guy. 

by Neilski Contributor
Contributor

Well, perhaps the best remedy would be to roll out an update to the BB2s around the country and tell them to use an NTP server which is actually on an EE sub-domain...

I can't begin to understand why they aren't configured that way already. Running an NTP server isn't a big deal. It's also not as if there's any resilience gain from doing it via a 3rd party - cos it's not like the BB2 is good for much if the EE infrastructure is down, right?

I have been following this thread with increasing disbelief. For the NTP server to be on a domain which has been allowed to expire (only months after it needed attention, having been down for weeks) is just comically inept.

Like I said a while back (in the original part of this thread perhaps), I'm just happy I'm on the Smart Hub now...

by IanC-K Contributor
Contributor

@Neilski ... or roll out an update that uses public NTP servers, every 6 hours or so rather than the (rather greedy) 1 hour. A moment's googling brings up several options including Google's own public time servers. 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.