by zeroblackbeard Contributor
Contributor

Re: Allocated home phone number already in use

routersnip2.PNGroutersnip.PNG

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1507467321145287455

I'm back to where I started pretty much. The few times I've used the landline this week it's shown itself to be scratchy and noisy, the router keeps quitting (well, twice in 3 days), and the 'broadband' is almost unusable again. At least my new mobile provider provides a signal in the house. It's now faster than the wifi connection... 

12 REPLIES 12
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Try plugging your router into the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate?

Post the router stats & Uptime when plugged into test socket.

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (dial 17070 Opt 2), preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Contributor

The router cable can't plug into the socket behind the face plate, as it's a different shape. When I plugged the router in the test socket with the cable from the phone, which has that shape connector, the router didn't connect at all, even with a restart. No wires attached to faceplate.

The phone quiet test semed pretty quiet, just the odd very short burst of white noise (barely audible).

There is another phone point upstairs, but there's nothing plugged into it.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You still need to use the dangly filter to use the test socket.

Sorry, it's impossible for BB not to work from the test socket when it works from the front socket.

Unless you have 1 of these: How to access test socket on Openreach master socket & haven't completely disassembled it. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Contributor

I do have one of those sockets Ray (thanks by the way for again trying to help out)

20171008_164041.jpg

The test socket (I presume it's the one shown) accepts the phone cable, but not the BB 'normal' LAN cable. The router did nothing when I used the phone cable to connect it with the test socket. 

Contributor

grey is BB, phone is black wire. That's correct, right? where I lived before (abroad), the phone connected directly with the router via LAN, and the router was plugged in to the wall via a dangly filter thing. Am I hooked up right?

20171008_165007.jpg

Contributor

routersnip_testsocket_uptime.PNGroutersnip_testsocket.PNG

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1507480462428490255

Ray, here are the test results using the test socket (with filter dangler used to connect BB to that socket). Seems alot better. What's the meaning of this?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

BB Slow from OR Filtered Faceplate but Fine from Test Socket

@zeroblackbeard: Ah, you have perfect BB at the test socket (using the dangler). So, why haven't you when the filtered master socket is reassembled?

1. Do you have any other phone sockets? Are they connected to the back of the front faceplate of the master socket?
  2. Faulty master socket or faulty filter in socket? Replace this MK2 filtered faceplate with a standard NTE5 faceplate with just a phone socket & use a dangler. Or keep running from test socket.

Contributor

Re: BB Slow from OR Filtered Faceplate but Fine from Test Socket

Thanks Ray.

Only one set of wires is connected at the back of the faceplate. There's another pair just hanging there, tucked in (you can see them in one of the pics). There is another socket in the bedroom upstairs but that is unused and will stay that way. I figured out that I can just use a dangler on my bared socket to max out the connection. Can I assume that the faceplate is faulty and is causing the slowdown? No need to reset the DLM as before? I will just try it out and see what happens over the coming days/weeks.

Many, many thanks for your work on the sabbath XRay, you are a star. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

The one set of wires is connected at the back of the faceplate, is that in the position of the Red Arrow in the diagram I showed you or is it the Yellow Arrow?

Your pix in post 5 doesn't show these wires coming out. Why? Did you disconnect them?

This spare socket, stick a phone in it with a dangler. Do you get a dial tone? Try the BT Quiet Line Test (dial 17070 Opt 2), preferably with a corded phone. Is there is any noise? You'd need to reassemble the master to do this.

Pending your answers, I think it's more likely that this extension is the problem. Having said that OR once fitted me with the simpler V1.0 filtered faceplate and it kept making a shushing noise on voice. The next time I saw an OR van outside I popped out & asked them for a spare ordinary unfiltered NTE5A faceplate & it's been fine ever since.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @zeroblackbeard

I'm sure @XRaySpeX when he is around will try and help you further.

Cheers

Richard

🙂

Contributor

20171008_164041.jpg

Ray, the red arrow in my pictures shows where the wires that are connected are connected behind the base plate.

The blue one shows the other pair of unconnected wiress just sitting there. I didn't disconnect them, but I've only been here a few weeks so don't know if someone did before me.

No dial tone upstairs, phones recognises that there is no connection (via dangler, faceplate refitted downstairs, BB in top plug).

Using the dangler in the test socket, still getting 'OK' speeds ( c. 7 Mbps) normally today

by Grand Master
Grand Master

zeroblackbeard wrote: 

Ray, the red arrow in my pictures shows where the wires that are connected are connected behind the base plate.

Then why can't I see those wires coming out the hole towards the faceplates you have laid in the floor? Did you disconnect them?

What about the Red Arrow & Yellow Arrow (not yours) in the diagram I showed you? Which one were those wires connected to?

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.