by PugMaster Investigator
Investigator

Random Device Drop outs

Hi 

I have recently nmoved to EE from BT and have the Bright Box R (best i can tell) and i have random device drop outs. I notice my google home hub screen regularly trying to reconnect to the internet, Sky Q can't connect etc. I have rung supoport a couple times and reset router etc, on my last call the operator said the box would only support 5 devices, I had 14 connected at the time, these days everything is wifi!

I was told to change the mode from B+G+N to B+G and see if that halps?

I then googled found this community page and seen a EE operative say there was theoretically no limit. 

I am sure this is a configuration issue but don't really know were to look.

13 REPLIES 13
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Random Device Drop outs

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

Are these drop-outs of the BB itself or just the WiFi connections?

If you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do not restart your router to do these tests:

1. Post your full router stats.

For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings/ System/ DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page.

For a SmartHub: login and go to Advanced Settings/ Technical Log/ Information.

Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

2. Try a wired speedtest, using an Ethernet cable supplied with the router, here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html . Click on the "Results Page" button at the bottom of the graph you first see and then copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link that you see below the next main graph.

3. What exchange are you connected to? If you don't know use: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search and post the URL of your exchange page.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Hi, the problem is not the internet dropping out it is devices not connecting via wifi. the status you ask for is

DSL STATUS This page shows information about your DSL connection. If you are using Fibre/Ethernet Broadband then this page is not applicable.
STATUS  Configured CurrentLine StatusLink TypeOperation Mode
--UP
--Interleaved Path
AutomaticG.992.5 (ADSL2+)
DATA RATE INFORMATIONUpstreamDownstream
1196 (Kbps)
19549 (Kbps)
DEFECT/FAILURE INDICATIONOperation Data Upstream DownstreamNoise MarginLine Attenuation
7.9 (dB)3.3 (dB)
14.6 (dB)27.5 (dB)

Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End IndicatorOutput PowerFast Path FEC CorrectionInterleaved Path FEC CorrectionFast Path CRC ErrorInterleaved Path CRC ErrorLoss Of Signal DefectFast Path HEC Error STRInterleaved Path HEC ErrorError Seconds
12.0 (dBm)19.1 (dBm)
----
----
----
STATISTICSReceived DataTransmitted Data
17360287 (Kbits)
22553885 (Kbits)

System Uptime is: 69:46:24

Thanks in advance, Paul

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes,  it's not the BB that's dropping.

Try Changing wireless channel .

Did you change the mode from B+G+N to B+G & did it help? Do you have devices to the 802.11n standard?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Hi, yes i did change to B+G and it made no difference. we also have only one neighbour as were out in the country and i can see there SiD but it is on the 5.8 range if that helps.

i'm not sure what you mean by "Do you have devices to the 802.11n standard?"

Cheers

Paul

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You would need to look at the wireless spec of your devices to see what 802.11 standard they support.

Investigator

The devices are Sky Q box and Mini, iPhones 5, 6 and 7, Ipad Air , Google Home and a new Dell Laptop. A quick google and they all support 802.11 

The more i google the more i think my old BT Smart Hub was a better peice of hardware than this Bright Box R, i never had these problems before switching to EE which is very disapointing. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You need to read the letters after 802.11.

The EE SH is a rebadged BT SH Type 6B.

Investigator

Looking through this community and other google searches the Bright Box R does not seem to like more than a few devices, when i looked at currently connected devices i had 14, the BT Smart Hub obviously coped with that number OK but the Broght Box R doesnt. I don't know what the EE SH is but assume it is not the same as the Bright Box R?

by
EE Community Support Team

Thank you for coming back to the community @PugMaster

Have you tried connecting fewer devices to your Bright Box? If yes, what is the outcome of this?

Katie 🙂

Investigator

Hi Katie, I have and it does make the occurances less but obviously that is not a solution. For now I have turned off the wifi on the Bright Box R and connected my BT Smart Hub to it as an access point and that has been working fine for over 12 hours when by now i would have had drop outs. This further proves to me that it is nothing to do with my broadband speed as advised by EE support call and more to do with the poor capabilities of the router. It really isn't difficult these days to have dozens of wireless devices, couple mobile phones, couple ipads, Sky Q and Mini box, Play station and a Google home hub and I am already exceeding the maximuim of 5 I was told on the call! I was hoping there was just some setting somewhere i could change and it would work, i would rather not have to have the old box powered up but at the moment i don't seem to have much choice if i want to keep sane.

by
EE Community Support Team

Good Morning @PugMaster

I don't believe there is a setting that can be changed to allow a stronger connection whilst using a number of devices. 

Katie 🙂

Investigator

I'm not sure "stronger connection" is the right term but I am not an expert, i just know how to use google to figure stuff out 🙂

What ever the reason/terminology the conclusion is BT Smart Hub handles multiple devices better than the BRight Box R.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

About your Bright Box :

Bright Box 1 (R) router

Great signal
Giving a great signal - tested at 250m - a Bright Box recognises multiple devices at once, both wired and wireless. So it doesn't matter if you're using games consoles in the bedrooms, smartphones in the kitchen and laptops in the living room, you'll experience a fantastic connection.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.