by ohnw3 Contributor
Contributor

Procedure for switching from EE broadband?

Hello everyone,

My mother has been with EE now for more than 8 years and her most recent contract with them for 35mb fibre ended about 4 months ago so the price has gone up to £39.  Normally she would just renew to a new 18 month contract and pay the normal amount but she will be moving out of the country in 8-9 months so she would have to pay a fine for the remaining months of the contract which is over £20 a month with EE.

After doing a bit of research I noticed that Southern Electric have 35mb fibre with a rolling monthly contract at £24 (which is actually a bit less than what she paid with EE and there are no other fees for us).

I was just wondering about the procedure for switching providers. Do we call EE first and say that we wish to change providers or Southern Electric first? Will there be much downtime when switching?

She says that she tried talking to EE but they said they can't offer what Southern Electric is offering which is a shame because EE has been good so far.

Thanks for reading.
1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by
EE Community Support Team
Solution

Re: Procedure for switching from EE broadband?

Hi @ohnw3

Sorry to hear that your mum is looking to leave us.

For Home Broadband all you need to do is contact the new provider who will request to take over the line. Once the activation date arrives the account with EE will be closed. 

Is the Home Broadband with EE out of contract?

Please also check that the new provider can operate the line which EE have been providing the service through. If they can't you will need to speak with the broadband team at EE and request to close the line, this takes 14 days.

Thanks, 

Katie 🙂

4 REPLIES 4
by
Solution

Hi @ohnw3

Sorry to hear that your mum is looking to leave us.

For Home Broadband all you need to do is contact the new provider who will request to take over the line. Once the activation date arrives the account with EE will be closed. 

Is the Home Broadband with EE out of contract?

Please also check that the new provider can operate the line which EE have been providing the service through. If they can't you will need to speak with the broadband team at EE and request to close the line, this takes 14 days.

Thanks, 

Katie 🙂

by Profile closed
Not applicable

All you need to do now is order broadband from the new supplier and they will take care of everything for you.  You don't need to speak to EE at all.

EE will probably just send you a letter informing you of the switch date once the new provider processes the order.

For standard fibre broadband switching (which this will be), your downtime will be very minimal, probably be less than 1 hour.

by ohnw3 Contributor
Contributor

Yes it is out of contract.

It's not like we want to leave, it's just that paying an extra £15 a month is too much and so is having to pay something like a £200 fine for the unused months on a new contract.  I really wish that EE could bring the price down but the person on the phone said that they don't offer monthly contracts like that.

There isn't anything that you can do is there?

by

Hi @ohnw3,

I'm sorry we were unable to match the offer you have seen with another provider.

Please get in touch if you would like to have another chat about your options with EE.

Thanks

James

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions