by
Valued Contributor

Power cut in house no connection

Ok so , my silly son put a pancake in the toaster shorted out all the eletrics in the house and when i turn't the system back on the router light was blinking red , i phoned up EE to settle any out standing bills encase it had been restricted and it wasn't according to them the services where still active. 

Having had a engnieer come to my property today i explained to him there was some sort of authetication issue with chap , and he became to do a few tests to no avail and he switched out my old router with a new one , i finally got 4 soild green lights and no blinking red light on the internet. 

He left my house and i waited 5 minutes for the connection to stable out , 20 minutes past and it still wouldn't allow me online despite the router saying i had a stable 80meg up and 20 meg down and it was all connected according to the routers information , i phoned the engnieer back and he told me to phone EE and get my username and password from them and log it into the router manaually which i did , but as soon as i did that the internet light went back to red as soon as i changed the email address and password from readytoconnect@fs <--- which is what was working with a green light to my email address which i got off ee rtony2.orangehome.co.uk@fs. 

Now no matter what i do to my routers username and password it seems to default back to rtony2.orangehome.co.uk@fs , and it won't allow me to change it , i change it save settings and it goes straight back to rtony2. 

It's also worth meationing they did line tests and no faults where found , i honestly think this is a issue with my username and passwords not syncing with EE servers or something to that affect , i really hope someone can help me solve this here rather than wait 5 days for a bt openreach engnieer to fix it , all our boxes have a internet hook up its pouring with rain and my kids have no tv. Smiley Sad

Thanks for reading. 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by
Grand Master
Solution
Accepted by topic author pillzandskillz
‎19-02-2017 05:37 PM

Re: Power cut in house no connection

[ Edited ]

That's good to hear. Glad I could be of help.

Just shows that your unfortunate experience with the BT eng. was ompletely unnecessary and that EE could have solved this ages ago from the comfort of their own desks by aligning the pwd on the TR09 database with that of the Authentication Server. I hope you have now been told your correct pwd?

You should be claiming some hefty compensation for all this.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 020 7362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
38 REPLIES
by
EE Community Support Team

Good Afternoon @pillzandskillz

I don't think the username issue would be stopping the broadband from connecting at all.

To be honest though broadband is not my strong point. Smiley Embarassed

Our resident BB expert @XRaySpeX may be able to offer some more help/advice.

Thanks - Karen. Smiley Happy

by
Grand Master

What does it say in the Internet section on the initial Status page of the BrightBox after you log in? Obscure your names in the BB Username but post the 1st 2 parts of the IP addy.

Are there "PPP: CHAP authentication failed" msgs in the System Log?

Is that "rtony2" Username what you thought it was? If not, use the 1 you thought it was originally (it may be like your Orange email addy if you ever used that).

Try factory resetting the router, connecting it up & waiting 30 mins for it to auto config & connect.

@Karen_C wrote:

I don't think the username issue would be stopping the broadband from connecting at all.

No, but it would stop it connecting to the Net 

__________________________________________________________________________________________
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 020 7362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
by
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Broadband Type Fibre Broadband State Connected Internet State Disconnected Time Connected 00:00:00 Downstream Rate 77.69 Mbps Upstream Rate 20.00 Mbps IP Address 0.0.0.0 IPv6 Address N/A IPv6 Prefix ::/0 Broadband Username readytoconnect@fs

00:01:58, 01 Jan. PPP: LCP down
00:01:58, 01 Jan. PPP: CHAP authentication failed
00:01:58, 01 Jan. PPP: LCP up
00:01:57, 01 Jan. PPP: Received PADS
00:01:57, 01 Jan. PPP: Sending PADR
00:01:57, 01 Jan. PPP: Received PADO
00:01:57, 01 Jan. PPP: Sending PADI
00:01:41, 01 Jan. admin login success from 192.168.1.11
00:01:27, 01 Jan. PPP: LCP down
00:01:27, 01 Jan. PPP: CHAP authentication failed
00:01:27, 01 Jan. PPP: LCP up
00:01:26, 01 Jan. PPP: Received PADS
00:01:26, 01 Jan. PPP: Sending PADR
00:01:26, 01 Jan. PPP: Received PADO
00:01:26, 01 Jan. PPP: Sending PADI
00:01:21, 01 Jan. PPP: Sending PADI

Then when i run migration wizard with the new email and password from my orginal router to log into it , it does this

Broadband Type Fibre Broadband State Connected Internet State Connected Time Connected 00:00:29 Downstream Rate 77.69 Mbps Upstream Rate 20.00 Mbps IP Address 109.249.91.119 IPv6 Address N/A IPv6 Prefix ::/0 Broadband Username rtony2.orangehome.co.uk@fs

for around 60 seconds the light stays green and then flickers back to red. But i still have no access to the internet. 

by
Grand Master

In the latter case did you get a "PPP: CHAP authentication succeeded" msg followed by a "PPP: CHAP authentication failed" msg in the System Log?

Did you try factory resetting & waiting?

by
Valued Contributor

I don't think its ever autheticated on this username and password , it did autheticate on readytoconnect@fs  , but not rtony2.orangehome.co.uk@fs. I don't know what the default password is on these routers otherwise i would re-enter it and save it. Because it did go threw chap ok then , i wasn't able to get online but i had a working router and was getting somewhere.

I have done a factory reset as well to no affect , both by the button on the back and the advanced options in the router settings. 

by
Grand Master

Why do you think it never authenticated on this username and password? Isn't the BB Username, at least, the same as in your old router?

It doesn't authenticate on "readytoconnect@fs". That's only for the initial set up when the router is in factory reset state when "readytoconnect@fs" should reappear. Did it?

Did you ever have/use an Orange email? The pwd will be the same as that if you never changed it yourself. The BB Username will be everything after the '@' of your email addy + '@fs'.

Please answer my Qs so I don't have to guess at your problem. Did those 2 msgs appear in the Log?

by
Valued Contributor

I am answering your question , your throwing a awful lot of questions my way and i'm by far from a networking expert , im just going on what i've seen. So have some paitents with me please.

When i restore the router back to factory settings , the email address stays the same rtony2.orangehome.co.uk@fs it doesn't convert back to its orginal state , i've seen first hand since the EE enigneer came out and swapped my old router for a new one the lights on the internet staying green and staying connected , it was only when i was told by a EE engnieer to phone up EE tech support to get my log in details so everything syncs up with the EE servers as i wasn't currently logged in for browsing. 

I saw in the logs in the error reporting part of settings readytoconnect@fs chap was succesful and when it was changed to my email address rtony2.orangehome.co.uk@fs and my password chap failed to autheticate. 

The only email i've ever had for EE was rtony2.orangehome.co.uk@fs in the router settings apart from the email i registeted with on the website richenstony@hotmail.com

eadytoconnect@fs does appear for a few seconds when i log in , then it goes back to the rtony2 address.

by
Grand Master

pillzandskillz wrote:

eadytoconnect@fs does appear for a few seconds when i log in , then it goes back to the rtony2 address.

That's immediately after a factory reset? That's what it's supposed to do. It shows it's gone thro' the initial config of the router to initialise your BB Username & pwd to what EE have on record in their database for them.

Thereafter it should then access EE's CHAP Authentication server to validate you in order to allow you on the Net. That's why it's important to know what's in the Log about "PPP: CHAP authentication". Please would you factory reset again and post the log from the beginning (bottom) to "PPP: CHAP authentication failed"?

It looks to me as if there's a mismatch between what EE's database holds for you in the initial set-up (called TR09) and what their CHAP Authentication server holds.

Do you login to your Member's Centre at https://web.orange.co.uk/r/login/ to see your bills for instance? What do you use to log in with there? Does it look like an email addy or just "rtony2" or some other single word, like your surname?

by
Grand Master

I'm sorry but I need to ask these Qs to help you get to the bottom of your problem. I am not asking you to do any networking but just to read off what you can see. I can't see these things from here but can just interpret them.

I think there might still be hope to get you up & running w/out having to call EE.

by
Valued Contributor

rtony2 is what i use to log in to check bills. No email just a username like that.

I sent your a pm with a video , i just used bandicam to upload something for you which may or may not help you. But i think it might give you a better idea. 

Thanks for the support by the way i really appeaciate it. 

by
Grand Master

Then "rtony2" is the 1st word of your BB Username. Have you tried the same password as you use for the Member's Centre? When you phoned EE for your BB creds did they give you the same pwd?

by
Valued Contributor

I just tested out your theory , and it didn't work i entered the same password as i do when i log into my billing and it didn't make a diffrence. I changed it as well and tried a new password and it didn't make a diffrence. When i phoned ee and asked for it , they said it was something i do use for a lot of things but in diffrent varations so im not 100% if its the same. 

by
Grand Master

That video's good & informative Smiley Happy.

As I never allow TR09 to configure my routers I never realised that it briefly connects to the Net and has a successful CHAP Authentication.

What I'm pretty sure is happening is:

1. After a Factory Reset the router has its BB Username reset to "readytoconnect@fs". 
  2. The router then presents this BB Username & pwd (not yours) to CHAP Authentication server & succeeds, cuz everyone has this BB Username & pwd & so it is registered there for everyone.
  3. This success allows it to connect to the Net so that it can communicate with EE's TR09 server to obtain your particular BB Username & pwd which it overwrites into the router. Router is now set up with your creds.
  4. The router then presents your BB Username & pwd to CHAP Authentication server & fails,
  5. Accordingly you are not allowed to connect to the Net.

(Hope that's not too much detail to understand.)

This still fits with my theory that there is a discrepancy between your creds on the TR09 database & those on the CHAP Authentication server.

The username fits with your Member Centre login. So I'm hoping it's the pwd that's wrong on TR09 & that your one for your Member Centre will work.

by
Grand Master

[ Edited ]

Shame! You shouldn't/needn't change the pwd for the Member's Centre for this purpose. The way it works is that when you 1st join both pwds are the same. You can change the Member Centre's pwd as often as you like but the BB pwd never changes. It remains the same as it was on day 1.

Have you ever changed your Member Centre's pwd before today? If so, can you remember what it was at the start?

Failing that you have no choice to report it to EE and say that your creds set-up by their TR09 initially are being rejected by their CHAP Authentication server.

by
Valued Contributor

Just phoned EE 3 times , none of them know what chap is its really depressing Smiley Sad I told them the issue i told them i've been speaking to someone on here , either they don't know or don't want to admit they don't know and lie about the systems being down. 

by

Hi and welcome to the Community @pillzandskillz

If the level one tech teams are unable to assist they would need to pass you on to a level 2 team.

Please do call them as here on the Community we do not have any account access.

Many thanks,

Lee

by
Grand Master

There is a so-called "email" form that you can use for BB: https://explore.ee.co.uk/broadband/email-us . Also see below in my sig.

by
Valued Contributor

shall i try and request the tier 2 team first? or just send this web form off first?

by

Hi @pillzandskillz

Please request a tier 2 team first.

Let us know how you get on.

Many thanks,

Lee

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.