by EEtoMeMe Contributor
Contributor

Potential New EE Mobile BroadBand Customer With Couple Of ?s

Hello!
Apologies if this is in the wrong section!

Ok, so I've been looking into EE's mobile broadband, mainly this here:

https://shop.ee.co.uk/dongles/pay-monthly-mobile-broadband/4gee-router/details

probably the 50gb or 100gb 30day package, so I can adjust each month as I know what my work load will be.

What I'm after is basically better upload than my FTTC broadband gives me, which is around 5.5-6mbit/sec.

I live in Horsham (RH13 5**) and I get good EE signal; I get full (4/4) bars on my phone which uses EE, in the room where I would be putting this router (router would be going by the window on the 2nd floor).

I saw this post:
https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/4G-and-mobile-data/Very-slow-4G-download-speeds-upload-is-fine/m-p/690...

Where the original poster talks about getting 50mbit/sec upload!  This is on 4gee+ or something, I think.

So, my questions are:
Does the router/package in my first link use 4gee or 4gee+?
Do I need a router to be able to get these sort of uploads with EE or can I get a sim and run this through my phone?
And other information you think I might have missed out, please inform me 🙂

I would be happy with an upload that bounces between 10-20mbit/sec to be honest, anything more would be a big bonus.

Thanks in advance for any help & advice!

21 REPLIES 21
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Re: Potential New EE Mobile BroadBand Customer With Couple Of ?s

Hello and welcome to the EE Community. 

[Summary answer at the end]

To best answer your question, I think it is best to explain some things. 4G+ is essentially a marketing term for Carrier Aggregation, where, in effect, multiple shopping carts are used together between the mast and a device for higher speeds. Carrier aggregation is most commonly download only but some modern devices support upload aswell. The EE home router you link to is LTE CAT7 with support for two carriers aggregated for download and upload. The theoretical performance is 300mbps download and 100mbps upload using two 20MHz carriers aggregated in both directions, 64QAM DL*, 16QAM UL*.

Download aggregation has been around years, so lots of combinations of spectrum bands are supported. For upload this is not the case and the combination of bands it works on is generally much smaller.

Fortunately, even with a single carrier as upload, EE's base Band 3, as well as the primary Band 7 capacity add layer, are each 20MHz. So unless it both a)chooses a smaller carrier as primary and b)doesn't support upload aggregation with that primary and another band available, then the upload capability will be 50mbps. NB: this is not pie in the sky, using a single 4G carrier for upload on EE, I quite often see 40-50mbps without trying. Using a device even higher specification than that EE home router, with upload aggregation and 64QAM* upload, upload speeds over 120mbps are not too difficult to get.

What phone do you have? You could test the upload speed using a speedtest app on your phone's app store.

Summary: Even with a "4G" non plus device, if your 4G signal is good, upload speeds of 30-50mbps are not uncommon. 

*these are modulation modes which eek out even more performance from the spectrum. The EE home router supports the fairly standard 64QAM DL and 16QAM UL which leads to the 300/100mbps stated speeds. If the device had the same carrier aggregation capability but 256QAM DL and 64QAM UL, then the maximums would be closer to 400/130mbps.

Please let me know if you have any questions from what I've written or that you originally wanted answering as I realise this is a long and complex reply. 

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @EEtoMeMe

Welcome to the community. 🙂

I see @Peter_C has given you a very thorough reply.

I was going to suggest that you run a speed test on your phone too (if it's with EE).

That would give you an idea of the types of speeds to expect.

Chris

by EEtoMeMe Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Thanks very much @Peter_Cand @Christopher_G for your responses.

Some of the information Peter gave me I did know, but there was loads that I didn't, so it extremly helpful.

I'm currently an old orange customer running through EE.  I've today ordered the replacement EE sim to move me fully to EE.  At the moment, through the orange sim I get the 3g H+ which I think the sim is limited to.  So will post back once I received the new sim.

Hopefully the speed test will give me a clear idea what would be the best route regarding possible routers etc etc.

Thanks again for the help so far 🙂

EDIT:  Thought it might be useful to mention by phone is samsung s5 neo.  Any limits on that device regarding 4g stuff?

by
EE Community Support Team

Sounds like a plan, @EEtoMeMe

Look forward to hearing from you. 🙂

Chris

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@EEtoMeMe wrote:

What I'm after is basically better upload than my FTTC broadband gives me, which is around 5.5-6mbit/sec.

It might be as well to look at your FTTC connection as well & see if it can be improved. At least it gives you unlimited usage whereas mobile BB will be limited.

What does BT Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your home phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by EEtoMeMe Contributor
Contributor

Hi @XRaySpeX

Probably a misunderstanding; what I posted is what I currently get with fttc broadband, and i've checked the page you linked many times in the past 🙂  No G.fast in my area and fttp/fttpod while being sort of available, installation costs are too high, even with the 1gbit voucher scheme....and even though, the monthly costs for the 1st year are very high unfortunately 😕

Thanks for responding though 🙂

EDIT:

the plan at the moment is to use the EE mobile broadband for work, which is large files uploading a few times a day, 3 or 4 days a week.  Like you pointed out, having the unlimited fttc usage is still very handy, so that will be used for most other day-to-day things 🙂

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

The S5 Neo is a 300mbps Download, 50mbps upload capable device so it should give a good picture. Do bear in mind when testing that some parts of the house may work A LOT better than others, even with similar signal displayed. Also, a location in the house with fewer bars may be faster. 

As it's a Samsung, the field test dial code *#0011# should work which will give much more information. Aim for a high SINR.

by EEtoMeMe Contributor
Contributor

Hello again!

Obviously new sim hasn't arrived yet 😛

But I have a question regarding how to purchase data.

Before I forget, thanks for confirming to me what my device should be able to handle 🙂  Is there any issues tethering the device to a pc? Like data limits on tethering etc? Or is that a thing of the past?

Right, data prices.  So, on the 1st link in the original post, there are data prices of £45 for 50gb and £55 for 100gb.  This is sort of the amount of data I would probably be looking to use and would maybe one month go for 50gb and another month 100gb (depending on what I know in advance my work is going to be).

Thing is, I can't seem to find those prices/packages listed elsewhere on EE 😕  The max I can find is a 50gb 30day data package for around £50~.  Are those prices just limited to people who also purchase that particular 4GEE router? Or am I looking in the wrong place?

Thanks again!  All the help has been great!

EDIT:  I vaguley remember reading somewhere that those sims that come with those routers are 'special' and don't support calls and/or text messaging by default....I don't know if that has anything to do with the data price/limits stuff.....

by Grand Master
Grand Master

1. There are no tethering limits.
  2. For data prices see The 4GEE Home Price Guide under "4GEE Home Plans" but for some reason you'll find them cheaper in Pay monthly terms and price guides for 4GEE WiFi, data SIM, tablet and 4GEE Home under the same section.
  3. These SIM plans only include data. There is nowt to stop you making calls & texts but you will be charged at standard Pay Monthly rates. Indeed when used in an MBB router they are capable of SMS which can be used freely for EE's 150 Text Service.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by EEtoMeMe Contributor
Contributor

Thanks @XRaySpeX  yes, I think it was one of those documents that I found before. It is strange how the prices differ between different pdfs 😕

So, when i get new sim....which is payg ee sim.....i just used the switch/move to ee option yesterday from orange and.....how would i sign up for one of those 30day 50gb or 100gb packages?  Will it be available in 'myEE' or do I need to do something different? Or do i need a seperate sim for something like that?

Thanks 🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

I expect you are just getting an EE PAYG phone SIM. You will need a data SIM. As far as I can see you can only order a data SIM up to 50 GB.

I guess the SIM plans you've been looking at can only be had when you bought a MBB router 1st.

by EEtoMeMe Contributor
Contributor

Hello......so I got my sim!  🙂

Got my sim on Wednesday, put it in.  Had to wait 24hours since I was on Orange.  Everything going to plan, was still getting calls and texts.....until around 2pm today, when I got the text from EE saying my old orange credit had been moved to EE.

That bit was supposed to happen, however since then I've not been able to receive any calls or texts 😞  But I've already been onto 150 support regarding that, so hopefully that wil be back to normal tomorrow.

so the phone shows 4G when connected to mobile data 🙂

Done a few speedtests about 10-15mins ago (around 9pm).  I'm getting around 2.25megabytes - 3megabytes upload 🙂

That is at the top end of my original hope in my 1st post 🙂  Also, it's worth noting, this was not done with a speedtest website/app, but an upload to my work's server.  As this is what it would be used for anyway.

I tried the code @Peter_C gave me.  The phone doesnt like it unfortunately.

So, although I'm happy with these speeds, the potential speeds that have been discussed here make we wonder if I can get more maybe.

What are people's thoughts?  Would I get better upload by using the 4GEE router that I linked in my first post, for example?  Is there any code I can put into the phone that would give me some stats that would help answer that question?

Thanks for all the help so far! 😄

by EEtoMeMe Contributor
Contributor

Just realised i messed up the code @Peter_C gave me, I missed the *. I completly overlooked it every time I tried it!

Ok, so here are some stats:

LTE-BASIC info

BAND:3 BW 20MHz

DL & UL FREQ: 1667 / 19667

SINR bouncing around  8-18

EDIT:

moving it around the room, SINR does go into high 20s.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

The main benefit from the EE router, based on your phone reporting a single carrier, will be possible better internal antennas and the ability to use a house external antenna. 3MB/s is 24mbps so perhaps finding an optimal SINR place you'll be able to get some more, subject to mast load etc.

by EEtoMeMe Contributor
Contributor

Are you talking about it only reporting band3 and not band 7 as well?

I'm going to take the phone outside in a bit and compare SINR to see if there is a major difference.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Indeed.

EE's externally mounted antenna is directional so it would perform better than your mobile but it is wise of you to test around your address.

by EEtoMeMe Contributor
Contributor

Would the external antenna help me get the band7 as well?  Or is that a no go for my area?

The speeds are pretty good though, considering i started off wanting 10-20mbit and i'm getting 18-24mbit 🙂

The next 'big' thing is how do I get 100gb of data?  All I can see is 50gb for £45, which matches the 4gee router.  But I can't see anything above that, like the 100gb for £55 which the 4gee router has.

Is 50gb the top limit?  Unless I shell out £100 for their router or tie myself in for an 18 month contract? 😕

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Unfortunately, as the last two digits of the postcode you have provided are asterisked I cannot comment too accurately on what you should be able to receive at that location band wise. 

The nearest site with Band 7 will be at Travelodge Horsham Central, RH12 1SQ, nomatter what.

I suspect your dominant serving site may be on the BT Horsham exchange, near RH12 1RD.

In terms of the product offerings side of things, I would maybe wait and see if one of the EE team could advise more about what packages could be offered.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@EEtoMeMe wrote:

The next 'big' thing is how do I get 100gb of data?  All I can see is 50gb for £45

Where do you see it? Is that thro' http://add-on.ee.co.uk/purchase when not connected to WiFi? I would have thought that with an EE PAYG phone SIM the most you can get is 5GB data. For more you would need a data SIM.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.