by Robjh19 Investigator
Investigator

Port Forwarding - Minecraft

So i have been having trouble connecting to anything multiplayer on the game Minecraft. It will connect occasionally but for the most part, it just will not connect to anyone. I know it is my home internet that is the problem because all my friends are able to connect freely to stuff I am the owner of, and when I connect my xbox to the internet via my phones data, it connects instantly. I have tried restarting my Smart Hub. I have restarted my console. I have tried forwarding the common game ports through the smart hub but I am not sure if that worked. 

I'm not too sure what else I can even try at this point so any help would be greatly appreciated!

10 REPLIES 10
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Port Forwarding - Minecraft

@Robjh19 wrote:

all my friends are able to connect freely to stuff I am the owner of

Does that mean that remote users can connect unsolicited by you to your own gaming server running on your LAN just by knowing your public IP/domain? If so port forwarding is working properly.

Are you employing a Dynamic DNS (DDNS)?

Just what is it you can't do?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Robjh19 Investigator
Investigator

Sorry, I wasn't too clear in my initial post. There is nothing hosted on my lan or anyone connecting via my IP address. The area we all connect to is hosted on the minecraft servers themselves, with me being the "owner" of it. Others connect to this server but I am not able to 95% of the time. I am able to when I use my phones data with my xbox, but not when I use my home broadband.

Basically, I cannot join this server hosted by minecraft, but my friends are able to without a problem, and I can if i use my phones data.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Then you can forget Port Forwarding. It is only needed for unsolicited incoming connections.

What is your tracert to the Minecraft server?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Robjh19 Investigator
Investigator

I play through my xbox, so I am unsure whether I am able to test that. I have also found that the minecraft realms run through Amazon Web Services, I am not sure if that would make it even more challenging. Sorry, I am no pro at this networking stuff.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Can't you just run tracert from a PC? It'll be the same route as from the XBox.

by Robjh19 Investigator
Investigator

I feel like I keep shooting down your ideas, I'm sorry.

I don't have a destination I can even test. Hunting around online only gives me "Amazon web services as the host and that the server will be based on the owners location and changes constantly. And I cannot connnect to one now and find a destination to test.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Doesn't Minecraft Servers | Minecraft Server List give you a clue? There's an IP with each.

by Robjh19 Investigator
Investigator

It isn't an actual playermade server that I am having trouble accessing. It is something called a "realm" which is an always-online world a set of friends can come and go from freely. hosted by minecraft on this Amazon servers rather than a server located on a players actual computer.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Well, you lost me there. I'll leave it to any gamers who might happen along.

Does Minecraft provide a trace facility like the "UO Trace" that EA does?

At least we've established that Port Forwarding was a red herring 😉.

by Robjh19 Investigator
Investigator

Very true! I do appreciate you trying to help, I am sorry I wasn't much help. I guess I can only wait and hope it sorts itself for now.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.