by LeeKelly Investigator
Investigator

Port Forwarding I have tried a lot of thing but to no avail

So I am trying to port forward for a couple of servers Id wanna host locally. I know the port numbers 27000 - 27015. I also want to set up an FTP on my storage server for automatically downloading files from my online web hosting.

I have put them in the smart hub that I have and nothing tried with both TCP and UDP as well as both.

No port was able to be opened.

So I did some googling and tried to see what anyone else could suggest.

I have my firewall on my machine disabled. I don't use an anti-virus (Don't say I should because I haven't used one for around 8 years now and haven't had a single virus still).

I have disabled the firewall on the router to try and see if that would open it but no.

I even went out today and bought a TP link router (Archer VR600) to see if I could port forward on that but nope.

I have called EE 3 or 4 times but nobody could help me. One even said they would give me a call back in an hour but they didn't.

I have spent around 9/10 hours today trying to fix it. I have been on different providers like virgin and had no problem. I would be with virgin but they don't do to the house where I moved. 😕 

So can anyone please help me?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by LeeKelly Investigator
Investigator
Solution

Re: Port Forwarding I have tried a lot of thing but to no avail

Just an update.

Nothing EE can do to help...

20 REPLIES 20
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Have you reserved the IPs of the PCs running these servers in the DHCP? Are these servers up & running? Can you access these servers locally on you LAN using their local IP addys?

Can you post your Port Forward settings?

Would you use Shields UP! -- Internet Connection Security Analysis under its "User-Specified Custom Port Probe" to probe the relevant ports? What does it report the state of these ports as?

My own settings for an FTP server are:

Enable No. LAN IP Address Protocol Type Private Ports Public Ports Delete
1 192.168.1. TCP&UDP ~ ~

& it works.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by LeeKelly Investigator
Investigator

I have reserved the IPs DHCP is on. The servers are up and running I can connect to them on local pcs but the ports aren't open to the public.

Capture.PNGCapture2.PNGCapture3.PNGCapture4.PNG

I hope these help.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks but I can't see anything wrong.

You could combine TCP & UDP (as I always do) but you've already tried that.

You shouldn't need to take down the firewall & it's risky. That's why it's showing "Closed" instead of "Stealth" but you really want to see "Open" in either case.

I'm running a Brightbox router but I have tested the SH with the same Port Forwarding settings & it works for me.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by LeeKelly Investigator
Investigator

Thanks for trying to help.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of some assistance.

Maybe it something to do with the servers you are running. You could try setting up the built-in FTP server on port 21. to see if that works. It may be more standard.That's where I started with Port Forwarding.

by LeeKelly Investigator
Investigator

The thing is that port 21 is closed even if I port forward it as well.

Capture.PNG

Normally whenever I have done port forwarding in the past it has been fairly straightforward. Just ee hasn't worked well for me.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hello there @LeeKelly

Thanks for coming to the community.

If @XRaySpeX suggestions have not worked for you, we will need to look into this further for you.

I have sent you a private message on here

Speak soon, Leanne.

by LeeKelly Investigator
Investigator

Hi @Leanne_T I have sent the pm.

Just one more thing that seems a bit odd.

Port 3074 is reported as stealth without port forwarding. But when I put port forwarding on this port it closes it.

Capture.PNGBefore Port forwardingCapture2.PNGAfter port forwarding

by LeeKelly Investigator
Investigator
Solution

Just an update.

Nothing EE can do to help...

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi there @LeeKelly

I am very sorry to hear this. 

Thanks for coming back and letting me know.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@LeeKelly wrote:

Port 3074 is reported as stealth without port forwarding. But when I put port forwarding on this port it closes it.

I assume you have enabled the Firewall again to get "Stealth".

If a port forwarded port is showing "Closed" it should mean that the service on that port is not running. When it is up & running it will show "Open".

by LeeKelly Investigator
Investigator

Well, I just decided to check the common console ports to see what they brought up. I had the firewall running both times for the check.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

I suppose most of, if not all, the Common Ports showed as Stealth?

by LeeKelly Investigator
Investigator

It wasn't the other day but it is today

by Grand Master
Grand Master

That's cuz you had the Firewall disabled the other day but not now.

by LeeKelly Investigator
Investigator

The firewall on my machine is always disabled. The firewall on my router I tested with both it on and off and it said closed the other day.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

I was talking about the router's Firewall.

by LeeKelly Investigator
Investigator

I normally have it on but I tested it with it off yesterday so I dunno.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

When you have the router's Firewall enabled, as is advisable, then if a port you are trying to port forward shows as:

• Stealth: Means the port forwarding rules are wrong & not working at all.
  • Closed: Means the port forwarding rules are correct but the service being port forwarded is down.
  • Open: Means the port forwarding rules are correct & the service being port forwarded is responding.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.