by beardedwilly Investigator
Investigator

Poor internet speed. Buffering constantly.

Hi.

I moved to EE a few weeks ago from BT as I was promised the same speeds as before. 60-76MB with a minimum guaranteed speed of 52MB. Upload was to be between 19-20MB. I was told to give it two weeks so the fibre would "settle" and that my speeds would be optimised. This hasn't been the case.

On mobile phones pictures etc. take a while to load, both on my partners and my phone. On the PS4 my games have started to lag quite a bit since I moved to EE, whereas with BT my connection was perfect. I also stream Sky through the PS4 and it buffers constantly. Netflix also buffers on all devices.

This is a quick overview of your EE Smart Hub's status.

Connection status:

Broadband type

Fibre

Firmware version:

v0.00.24.06190-EE

Firmware updated:

Your Firmware has not been updated.

Serial number:

+EEH001+1835011463

Downstream sync speed:

35.88Mbps

Upstream sync speed:

6.43Mbps

Network uptime:

0 Days, 0 Hours, 14 Mins

System uptime:

0 Days, 0 Hours, 16 Mins

Speed test result:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1546701238367811855

Exchange:

LarneNILELarneNorthern Ireland

I would really need this sorted as it is half the speed I was promised and the upload is 1/5 of the speed promised.

Hopefully someone can help.

Thanks,

William

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Poor internet speed. Buffering constantly.

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

If you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do not restart your router to do these tests:

1. Post your full router stats.

For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings/ System/ DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page.

For a SmartHub: login and go to Advanced Settings/ Technical Log/ Information.

Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

2. What does BT Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

1. That option is not there in advanced. Is that not the information I put up above?

2. https://imgur.com/a/nN5PQc6

Investigator

I should add that the fault lies in with EE as with BT around a month ago I was consistently getting 70MB speeds with around 15MB upload. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

1. It must be! You are following my SmartHub instructions, not those for a Brightbox?. No, it has more useful info that could tell us how your line is performing.
  2. From that I can't believe that EE gave you a minimum guaranteed speed of 52MB. What are all EE's speed estimates given in your MyEE for BB under Your broadband speed ?
  3. You may believe it is EE's fault but it is BT OR that is running the BB.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

I am logging in to my router on 192.168.1.254 and going to advanced but there is nothing there about DSL status. Could you direct me where to go for the stats you need? 

Please see below what EE guaranteed. 

Activation Date is10 December 2018
Contact Mobile number is 
Download Speed between60.0 Mb/s and 76.0 Mb/s
Upload Speed between19.0 Mb/s and 20.0 Mb/s

Minimum Guaranteed Download speed52.00 Mb/s

I am not sure who is at fault but all I know is that under BT infinity less than a month ago I had excellent speeds and stability. If I can't get this under EE I'll have to go back to BT as fast fibre is very important to me.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@beardedwilly wrote:

there is nothing there about DSL status.

No, there won't be! You're looking at the instructions for a Brightbox, not your SH. For a SmartHub: login and go to Advanced Settings/ Technical Log/ Information.

Those figures you quote of EE's are most surprising. It's like they are looking at a different line. All other ISPs would guarantee no more than 45 Meg. Why should EE quote higher? That's asking for trouble.

Did you look at the Your broadband speed in your MyEE or is that which you quoted it?

If some event happened on your line in the intervening month as seem likely from your low speeds, by going back to BT you will only be taking the result with you as it's the same Fibre provided by OR whichever ISP you are with.

Quite honestly it's quite pointless at this stage trying to ascribe fault before we know what's happening to the line. As just an ordinary user here it makes no odds to me whether you are with EE, BT or any other ISP. The investigation would be identical.

Investigator

I understand what you mean but it's highly unlikely it's just a coincidence that I only encountered problems as soon as I switched provider. Its not even the speed that is most important, its the stability. I can't stand the buffering. I genuinely never had anything buffer when with BT but everything buffers with EE. It's quite strange. 

Please see extra information you require below. 

This is a list of your EE Smart Hub settings and current statistics.

Product name:Smart Hub
Serial number:+EEH001+1835011463
Firmware version:v0.00.24.06190-EE
Firmware Updated:Your Firmware has not been updated.
Board version:01
DSL uptime:0 Days, 2 Hours, 30 Mins, 46 Secs
Data rate:6.43 Mbps / 35.88 Mbps
Maximum Data rate:6.41 Mbps / 36.16 Mbps
Noise margin (up/down):5.7 / 3.5
Line attenuation (up/down):30.0 / 22.9
Signal attenuation (up/down):30.0 / 21.0
Data sent / received:68.8 MB / 1.1 GB
Broadband username:PRODUCTIONHQNUN386935157@fs
2.4 GHz wireless network name:BTHub6-Q9SZ
2.4 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel 11)
5 GHz wireless network name:BTHub6-Q9SZ
5 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel 48)
Wireless security:WPA2
Wireless mode:Mode 1
Firewall:Default
MAC address:4C:1B:86:AD:1A:E0
Software variant:-
Boot loader:0.0.3-EE (Mon Dec 4 17:32:53 2017)

YOUR BROADBAND SPEED

Broadband speed tells you how fast data is sent (upload speed) or received (download speed) along your phone line. It's measured in megabits a second (Mb/sec), usually shortened to Meg or Mb.

Minimum Fibre Download Speed is 60.0 Mb/Sec

Maximum Fibre Download Speed is 76.0 Mb/Sec

Minimum Fibre Upload Speed is 19.0 Mb/Sec

Maximum Fibre Upload Speed is 20.0 Mb/Sec

Minimum Guaranteed Download Speed is 52.00 Mb/Sec

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Well, it seems to me there's a mystery here. It's like we are talking about 3 different lines:

1. Your actual line syncing currently at about 36 Meg. Your router stats shows that to be about right.
  2. The much faster line shown by the BT Checker estimated to be between 50 - 71 Megs. The interesting thing here is that it shows no Observed Speeds. It should at least show your current sync speed. It's like nowt has connected to that line recently. My BT Checker shows my Observed Speeds to be my exact current sync speed dated yesterday.
  3. The even faster line quoted by EE estimated to be between 60 - 76 Megs.

Are you sure you gave your correct phone no. to the BT Checker?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Let's try this:

Reboot the router & try plugging it into the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws or press tabs) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets in the home even if unused? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate of master socket?

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (dial 17070 Opt 2), preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report it to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

Post the full router stats & System Uptime when plugged into test socket.

Is the issue any better?

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.