by deza63 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Poor fibre speeds on WIFI

Hi 

I come out of my 10 day stabilisation period tomorrow and all the tests I've done up to his point indicate I'll get the same speeds I had on infinity 2. However, my Wi-Fi speeds are not even half of the 60+meg I should be receiving and that I also received on the BT Smart Hub. 

Most of the time am getting a faster speed from my 2.4ghz connection than I do using the 5ghz one. Again I never had this with Infinity 2. 

My question to the tech team over the phone was if there could be a fault with the router but they said it's down to the 10 day stabilisation period considering the speed into my premises is as expected. 

Any ideas?

20 REPLIES 20
Established Contributor
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Poor fibre speeds on WIFI

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

If you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do not restart your router to do these tests:

1. Post your full router stats. For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings/ System/ DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page. Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

2. Try both a wired & wireless speedtest here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html and copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link.

3. What exchange are you connected to? If you don't know use: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search and post the URL of your exchange page.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Established Contributor

Wireless Test

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1512238689833887755

Wired Test to follow

DSL STATUS This page shows information about your DSL connection. If you are using Ethernet Broadband then this page is not applicable.
STATUS   ConfiguredCurrentLine StatusLink TypeOperation Mode
--UP
--Fast Path
AutomaticG.993.2 (VDSL2)
DATA RATE INFORMATIONUpstreamDownstream
19999 (Kbps)
78075 (Kbps)
DEFECT/FAILURE INDICATIONOperation DataUpstreamDownstreamNoise MarginLine Attenuation
15.4 (dB)6.4 (dB)
0.0 (dB)11.7 (dB)

Indicator NameNear End IndicatorFar End IndicatorOutput PowerFast Path FEC CorrectionInterleaved Path FEC CorrectionFast Path CRC ErrorInterleaved Path CRC ErrorLoss Of Signal DefectFast Path HEC Error STRInterleaved Path HEC ErrorError Seconds
-2.7 (dBm)13.3 (dBm)
----
----
----
STATISTICSReceived DataTransmitted Data
1411384 (Kbits)
798537 (Kbits)
Established Contributor

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1512239229294412555

Wired Speed Test

BT Wholesale Speed Test is also showing low, i will wait until after tomorrow when the 10 days is up but i have never seen my line be so inconsistent, even within the 10 day period

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Are these slow speeds all day or only in peak hours?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Established Contributor

All day when tested at certain periods 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

It could be congestion at your exchange. What exchange are you connected to? If you don't know use: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search and post the URL of your exchange page.

It's unlikely as you were getting good speeds from BT on the same line, but if it is, there's nowt EE can do about it.

Established Contributor

Am connected to the Holytown Exchange

by
EE Employee

@XRaySpeX may be able to advise on the exchange when he comes online.

Many thanks,

Lee

Established Contributor

Well today is Day 11 so this morning things looked to have stablised, and tonight i did a BT Wholesale Speet Test with further Diagnostics and again it fell well below what is expected and what has been dedicated as a minimal speed from OFCOM.

speed test1.jpg

Established Contributor

speed test2.jpg

I will deffo be calling tomorrow to look to break my contract and go back to Infinity 2

by Grand Master
Grand Master

OFCOM don't specify min. speeds. It depends on your line. What were the speed estimates give to by EE at sign-up, incl. the Guaranteed Min. Speed. Any ISP estimates are not of speedtests but of line sync speeds.

What does BT Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

Established Contributor

Here is what My contract with EE is

Estimated Fibre Download Speed is 68.2 Mb/Sec

Estimated Fibre Upload Speed is 19.0 Mb/Sec

Minimum Fibre Download Speed is 63.2 Mb/Sec

Maximum Fibre Download Speed is 80.0 Mb/Sec

Minimum Fibre Upload Speed is 19.0 Mb/Sec

Maximum Fibre Upload Speed is 20.0 Mb/Sec

Minimum Guaranteed Download Speed is 40.00 Mb/Sec

Here is the table you asked for

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

WBC FTTC 18x2 Provide Availability

WBC FTTC 18x2 Sim Availability

Left in Jumper

HighLowHighLow        

Featured Products

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTP Availability Date

ADSL Products

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

Other Offerings

Availability Date

Premise environment

Status

VDSL Range A (Clean)8067201959.5Available----Yes--
VDSL Range B (Impacted)8059.42018.844Available----Yes--
FTTP on Demand33030--Available--------
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 7--6 to 8Available------Yes
ADSL MaxUp to 3.5--2.5 to 6.5Available--------
WBC Fixed Rate1 ----Available------Yes
Fixed Rate1 ----Available--------
VDSL Multicast------Available--------
ADSL Multicast------Available--------
Bridge TapU       
VRIN       
NTEFaceplateN       
Last Test Date17-05-2017      
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Well, EE is supplying you with 78 Meg line speed, at the top end of its estimates.

Your issue is with throughput, which EE or any other ISP, cannot guarantee.

Established Contributor

and if I had this issue with another supplier I would understand that, but I didnt, I was getting my full speed with BT. So that does become EEs issue.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

I agree. I only said the EE can't guarantee throughput speeds. That doesn't mean they won't fix the underlying cause if it can be identified. So far we haven't.

Congestion could be 1 reason for this (which EE can't do anything about) but that seems v. unlikely as you weren't getting low throughput from BT.

Remind me, have you raised this with EE yet?

Reboot the router & try plugging it into the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate?

Post the full router stats & System Uptime when plugged into test socket. Also a wired speedtest.

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (dial 17070 Opt 2), preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

Established Contributor

Yeah I did raise it with EE so there are notes to catch up on when i call them tomorrow. but they told me there was nothing they could do until after the initial 10 days, which i knew wasnt going to make that much diffrence with the amount of years ive had broadband in general and also how Infinity behaved and on day 11 its acted exactly the same way as the other days, I can count on one hand how many times my speed has exceeded 30meg never mind hit the full min/max am meant to get. 

When i got infinity 2 installed, the BT Engineer come out to install a dual faceplate so i no longer have a filter and the other extension isnt used as we dont even use the landline anymore (its only for the broadband lol)

I have done a reboot on the router and it doesnt work, i am actually going to ask them to allow me to leave without charge as I dont have the the time for day after day fault diagnosis when I know there is nothing wrong with the line as it was working perfectly well until the switch over (unless the Openreach Engineer didnt change it right at the exchange)

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@deza63 wrote:

When i got infinity 2 installed, the BT Engineer come out to install a dual faceplate so i no longer have a filter and the other extension isnt used as we dont even use the landline anymore (its only for the broadband lol)

Filtered faceplates can become faulty. I had 1 once & have since run fine from a dangly filter. Buy 1. They are cheap & test at the test socket. It's the only way of running it down.

Have a read of Why do I need a landline phone? . Maybe you haven't wetted the landline enough since you left BT.

Established Contributor

So guys I put notice of cancellation in with EE during my 14 days and was assured by the complaints advisor that there would be no extra charges if i left.

Hours on the phone to tech support, then 2 openreach engineers couldnt resolve this issue within 14 days so I let the switch go through back to Infinity 2 and if by some miricle my speed returned to what I was getting Pre EE. 

I then got a bill through for over £400 for early termination despite being told I could move fee free.  Yet another complaint raised!!!  although I have just renewed my mobile contract with them, its at risk not being renewed in 2yrs and my wifes one this year will probably move.

@XRaySpeXI want to thank you for trying to help 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.