by kcred2
Explorer

Poor WIFI strength around house

Hi, I just moved to ee and have probably a silly question.

The WIFI signal is really poor in my son's room (attic) and I'm wondering if there's anything either I or ee can do about that? Do I need a booster box or something?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Poor WIFI strength around house

Hi, 

Try changing the WiFi band as it may help. 

As for extenders, yes if your signal is weak they may help. Alternatively use powerline adapters and a wireless access point, this however is more expensive. 

Lastly with EE you don't need to stick with their router so if invest in a better one that will likely help, again a more expensive but better long-term option. 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by kcred2
Explorer

Thanks, I'll try those options and see if it sorts - thanks for such a quick reply!

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @kcred2,

Thanks for joining the EE Community. Smiley Happy

Let us know how you get on after trying @Northerner's tips.

James

by SpyderScanner Established Contributor
Established Contributor

If you have an android phone or tablet, instll a wifi analyser on it. You can use it to map your wifi through your house, locate dead zones and see if any other sources are using the same channels as you. It's amazing how many isps etc use a restricted set of wifi channels. (1,6,11)

Also, a lot of users automatically switch to the 5.x Ghz band because it's new and less used. The drawback is that its range and wall penetrating ability is less than 2.4. I don't know if the BB router will do it but you could try setting up a dual networks.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.