by takkischitt Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Please help! Painfully slow internet, yet speed tests are fine.

Hi

We've had poor browsing now for a number of years, but it's only recently its got to the point were it's pretty unbearable/unusable. Over the years I've tried contacting customer support to try and improve it, but all they do is do a speed test which always comes back with reasonable download and upload speeds, but there is clearly something else wrong or errors connecting. Most websites when you type in a URL or click a link can take anywhere between 5 seconds (on a great day) up to maybe 30 seconds to a minute (on a bad day, which is what it mostly is these days) to fully load the page. This has nothing to do with the devices browsing, also. Multiple machines and mobiles of all ages all experience the same delays, yet in other locations when on other networks, all the devices are fine.

I was looking in the router for potential information regarding the line and I have attached a screenshot of the DSL status (see below). Does anyone have good knowledge of this who can have a look to see if anything looks dodgy?

Thanks in advance of any help or advice!

Capture.PNG

33 REPLIES 33
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Please help! Painfully slow internet, yet speed tests are fine.

@takkischitt  Have you tried just resetting the router using the reset button?  

Valued Contributor

@Chris_B Yes. We've also had one or two new router models sent out from EE over the years, the problem persists. We've also used 3rd party routers, to see if it was maybe just the standard EE routers struggling in some way, but those paid for routers were the same.

Do you know if the stats in the screenshot I provided look OK? Or is there any results in that which look like they could cause issues?

by
EE Employee

Hi @takkischitt and welcome to the community.

I'm sure @XRaySpeX will be able to assist with diagnosing your broadband issues.

Please can you pop over to our broadband help page and assist by getting the rest of the information needed to help.

Your uploaded images will take a short while to appear as they are moderated.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

Those stats are just fine. You are getting the top speeds from your ADSL BB.

Are these browsing delays over both wired & wireless?

1. Try a wired speedtest, using an Ethernet cable supplied with the router, here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html . Click on the "Results Page" button at the bottom of the graph you first see and then copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link that you see below the next main graph.

2. What exchange are you connected to? If you don't know use: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search and post the URL of your exchange page.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Valued Contributor

Hi @XRaySpeX, thanks for taking the time to assist.

1. Here's the link to the speedtest results. As I said though, these often show reasonable speeds, but in reality when browsing the web, it's often painfully slow for web pages to open/load - https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1524214718626999855

2. Here is the exchange URL - https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/NILN

Many thanks for taking a look.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Was that speedtest wired? It's rather slow.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Valued Contributor

Yes, it was ethernet connected.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Have you tried diff Ethernet cables & switching ports on both PC & router. Do you then get a down speedtest of around 20 Meg, which what you should be getting?

Valued Contributor

Yes, I've tried a miltitude of different setups and combinations of computers/cables/ports/new routers/all new filters...

In regards the speeds in that test, I could do a speed test at another time and they will be faster and in the range of 20-23 Meg, however, this is usually fleeting and certainly not representative of actual browsing experience. I could also do a test and potentially get slower speeds. The speeds are also never 'steady' and bounce up and down during the tests. Any other broadband connections I have ran speedtests on are always a lot more 'stable' in terms of their speeds.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@takkischitt wrote:

I could do a speed test at another time and they will be faster and in the range of 20-23 Meg

Such speedtest would be unreliable as you could never get much above 20 Meg throughput on your line.

Is there any pattern to particular times of the day when you get slow & fast speedtests?

I don't like those slow speedtests but to try another tack to try to improve your browsing you could try & get round this issue by switching the DNS in the router to Manual with 1 of these public DNS:

OpenDNS   :	208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220
Google DNS:	8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 
Norton DNS:	198.153.192.40 & 198.153.194.40

Valued Contributor

OK, I'll try those and report back after testing for a bit.

Really appreciate your help!

by
EE Employee

Hi @takkischitt

Please let us know how you get on.

Many thanks,

Lee

Valued Contributor

So after changing the DNS at the end of last week things seemed to be a LOT better. But as I have found in the past, when tweaking/trying new things, it sometimes tricks me into thinking it's fixed, and I'm sorry to say, but I think this is what has happened again.

Up until today, the internet was working well.. actually, great mostly! But today it seems to have hit a brick wall (these are with the OpenDNS servers, which seemed like the best out of the three while testing the last few days):

Capture.PNG

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1524658378119916055

Smiley Frustrated

Even posting/editing this message was a drawn out affair due to the page load times. There have been short periods today (5-10 mins here and there) where it was fast like the last few days, but for the majority of today, it's been really struggling.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

What's your router stats at the time of the speedtest? 1 w/out 'tother is not all that much use.

Valued Contributor

Ah, sorry! Will get both next time and post.

Seems to be running a bit better today, thankfully. I havent been here and using the broadband long though and have to pop out again soon, but I'll keep testing.

by
EE Community Support Team

Please keep us updated @takkischitt

Richard

🙂

Valued Contributor

Hi folks

Just thought I'd let you know how things have been this last couple of weeks since I changed the DNS servers on the router. I haven't been here as much, so I wanted to get a good few days of use to get a good reading on how it's been performing over a longer period.

There has definetly been a big improvement. The internet is now usable pretty much 100% of the time now. There are still occasional periods/days were it can slow down or, very occasionally, even get very slow, but nothing anywhere near as bad as before.

I'm not sure what might be causing the occasional slow downs in speed, I'm guessing it is maybe just when the 'service is busy' or something?

Thanks for the help, though! Greatly appreciated!

by
EE Employee

Hi @takkischitt

I'm glad you have had some improvements, do let us know if you need any further help.

Cheers

Lee

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance. That's good to hear.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.