by M57 Contributor
Contributor

Phone line dead. Internet is working.

My phone line has been dead for at least a day. There's no dial tone. When I ring my number it rings. After answering, the call ends. My internet is working with no problems. I removed everything from the phone sockets and tried two different phones in the hidden test socket but it's the same. What should I do?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Re: Phone line dead. Internet is working.

Phone support and report the fault.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hello there @M57

Thanks for posting on the community.

Please do give us a call on 0800 079 8586.

The broadband team will be happy to help.

Thanks, Leanne.

by M57 Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the replies. I've noticed something. When I keep ringing my landline and answering it, it'll eventually start working for a while. There's cracking sounds though. The phone will work until it has been hungup for a few minutes. Then it goes dead again. I phoned 150 and the man ran tests and said there's a problem. An engineer is coming out on Tuesday morning. Hopefully it gets fixed then. Smiley Happy

by
EE Community Support Team

Great @M57

Thanks for coming back 🙂

Let us know how it goes with the engineer.

Have a great weekend

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Have you tried plugging the phone in the hidden test socket?

You probably have a "one-leg broken" fault (technically "HR Dis"). A landline consists of 2 wires, both of which are need for voice, but only any 1 for BB. Usually when this happens the BB runs slower than usual.

To confirm this Please post your full router stats. For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings/ System/ (A)DSL Status. Also post 'Time Connected:' from initial Status page. Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

It is likely that the break occurs between you & the exchange, but it needs EE to call out BT Openreach to fix it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.