by samharrison7 Investigator
Investigator

Permanently slow uploads and intermittently slow downloads

Hello,

We've been having problems with our broadband speed for quite a while now: Uploads are always slow (~0.3 Mb/s) and quite frequently we get period of an hour or so when everything becomes slow or completely unusable. E.g., twice this weekend we've been unable to use the internet for about an hour.

Below are the details requested. We're on the Lancaster exchange (https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/LCLAN) and here is the link to a speed test just performed: https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1512322424101185955

Cheers,

Sam

STATUS

Configured

Current

Line Status

--

UP

Link Type

--

Fast Path

Operation Mode

Automatic

G.992.5 (ADSL2+)

DATA RATE INFORMATION

Upstream

443 (Kbps)

Downstream

18099 (Kbps)

DEFECT/FAILURE INDICATION

Operation Data

Upstream

Downstream

Noise Margin

31.9 (dB)

6.3 (dB)

Line Attenuation

12.3 (dB)

26.5 (dB)

Indicator Name

Near End Indicator

Far End Indicator

Output Power

12.6 (dBm)

0.0 (dBm)

Fast Path FEC Correction

Interleaved Path FEC Correction

--

--

Fast Path CRC Error

Interleaved Path CRC Error

--

--

Loss Of Signal Defect

Fast Path HEC Error STR

Interleaved Path HEC Error

--

--

Error Seconds

STATISTICS

Received Data

661536 (Kbits)

Transmitted Data

359733 (Kbits)

10 REPLIES 10
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Permanently slow uploads and intermittently slow downloads

Your upstream sync has been pegged at 444K, the top of the ADSL Max range. It sometimes does that on ADSL2+. Ask CS if they can free it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, the response I got from CS was "there's nothing we can do about it". They suggested a router factory reset, but I'm not optimistic about that working. Any advice on how to proceed? 

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @samharrison7,

Welcome to the EE Community.

Our technical team are the right people to help with this, unfortunately it's not always possible to remove banding.

Thanks

James

Investigator

I've been in touch with customer services again and the response was still that they can't do anything about upload speeds. Not that they can't remove the banding, just that they don't have any tools to deal with upload speeds.

From what I can gather, ADSL2+ should permit uploads of 1.4 Mb/s, but in my case is capped at 443 Kb/s. Someone somewhere should be able to remove that cap, but EE's CS don't know who. I asked if phoning BT would help, but apparently they'll just tell me to talk to EE. Any suggestions are to what I should do next? Ideally, I'd like to speak to someone with knowledge of this cap and, if it's not possible to remove it, at least give me explanation as to why.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @samharrison7

I'm going to bring @XRaySpeX back into this is possible please to see if he can lend his expertise to your query.

Thank you

Richard

🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

I've just known them to free it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Perhaps I'm calling the wrong phone number, because as I say, the response I got was that they don't deal with upload speeds, full stop. I was phoning 0800 079 8586. Is there another number I can call to get through to someone who has knowledge of the banding/capping you talk about?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

There is a so-called "email" form that you can use for BB: https://explore.ee.co.uk/broadband/email-us . Also see below in my sig.

Investigator

Cheers, will give that a go.

by
EE Employee

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.