by Bilbo42 Contributor
Contributor

Parental controls using MAC number

I'm using a Brightbox 1 and it would seem that parental controls can only be applied to a specific /range of IP addressess. This is not a particularly robust method as my teenage son soon finds a way of changing his device IP address! The TP Link router I previously used allowed devices to be blocked based upon their MAC address - can the Brightbox 1 block devices based on their MAC address? If not do EE have another router offering that will allow this?

The reason this is required is for time management of my sons internet access without penalising other users.

For those of you with parenting opinions on this matter, please keep these to yourselves, I've seen the typical responses that end up being posted on other forums when parents start to mention wanting to control how much internet use their kids get. If I was interested, the subject line would have been titled 'please provide responsible parenting advice....'

13 REPLIES 13
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Parental controls using MAC number

By Parental Controls I take it you mean the Access Control features of this router as they are the only features with this ability.

Yes, Access Control is on a per IP range basis. However you may reserve a specific IP to a specific MAC under DHCP.

There is nowt stopping you getting your own router if you think it might do it better. Indeed why not continue using the TP-Link?

I only discuss such things from a technical stand-point.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@XRaySpeX

I was just going to say to the OP they might be better off using their old router. Details here.

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Bilbo42 Contributor
Contributor

Hi. Thanks for your response. I'll try the MAC approach you suggest and see how this works. Although I set up the TP Link router as per the link advised in the other response, I seem to get a more stable connection with the BB. Having said that, looking at the log, I can see it disconnected three times during the night, all between 3am and 4am. Are disconnections normal?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Possibly but not ideal.

If you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do not restart your router to do these tests:

1. Post your full router stats.

For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings/ System/ DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page.

For a SmartHub: login and go to Advanced Settings/ Technical Log/ Information.

Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

2. Try a wired speedtest, using an Ethernet cable supplied with the router, here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html . Click on the "Results Page" button at the bottom of the graph you first see and then copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link that you see below the next main graph.

3. What exchange are you connected to? If you don't know use: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search and post the URL of your exchange page.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Bilbo42 Contributor
Contributor

Your help would be much appreciated. FYI, I'm on an EO line, about a half mile from the exchange, rural location. I have a perception, but not proved it, that when it's windy I seem to have more of an intermittent broadband service than when the weather is calm. Have done the quite line test from a landline and that seems ok.

So, the info you requested (and this is from the BB1 router):

STATUS

Configured         Current

Line Status          --             UP

Link Type             --             Fast Path

Operation Mode              Automatic           G.992.5 (ADSL2+)

DATA RATE INFORMATION

Upstream            1291 (Kbps)

Downstream      23657 (Kbps)

DEFECT/FAILURE INDICATION

Operation Data Upstream            Downstream

Noise Margin     5.3 (dB) 3.4 (dB)

Line Attenuation              6.5 (dB) 13.5 (dB)

Indicator Name Near End Indicator           Far End Indicator

Output Power   12.1 (dBm)          18.6 (dBm)

Fast Path FEC Correction               0              0

Interleaved Path FEC Correction --             --

Fast Path CRC Error          0              0

Interleaved Path CRC Error           --             --

Loss Of Signal Defect      3              0

Fast Path HEC Error STR 0              619

Interleaved Path HEC Error           --             --

Error Seconds    386         0

STATISTICS

Received Data   6084719 (Kbits)

Transmitted Data             1101427 (Kbits)

System Uptime is: 20:10:30

Wired speed test (via PoE):

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1546347855314212355

Exchange: 

Exchange NameOLOCounty Region 
OnecoteWMONEStaffordshireWest Midlands

Cheers

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Bilbo42: The router stats are good. As you observed you had 3 discons in last 20 hours. You would need to run it for far longer to see if they are persistent.

Your throughput is low; about half speed.

Check your IP Profile. Run the BT Wholesale Performance Test (ignoring all the red instructions) and on the initial results page click Further diagnostics at the bottom. The IP Profile is given in the text box.

by Bilbo42 Contributor
Contributor

Hi thanks for the further feedback, I'll run the IP Profile test once I can ensure I'm the only user, and then post the results. You say the through put is low, what information is it that shows this and based on the information, what would you expect it to be?

You confirmed I'd had 3 disconnects during the last 20 hours, was this based on the up time figure I provided and the Loss Of Signal Defect = 3? Only I'd worked it out from looking at the system log.

Cheers

by Grand Master
Grand Master

It doesn't matter who's on for the IPP test.

Throughput = speedtest results. I expect it to be 18.6 Meg.

Yes. System log does not tell much then stats generally, unless you are looking for a specific event.

Highlighted
by Bilbo42 Contributor
Contributor

Right, the IPP test gave the following:

Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download speed achieved during the test was - 12.8 Mbps

For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.

IP Profile for your line is - 20.87 Mbps

Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.78Mbps

Additional Information:

Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.

It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.

If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Right, you are not being throttled in any way (as you shouldn't be by EE). Your IPP is exactly on song @ 88.2% of sync.

You just have a v. slow throughput for some reason & just the suspected discons. The latter may be nowt to worry about. I just had 2 discons earlier tonight; the only ones in 341 hours of uptime. Probably some eng. messing about with other lines at cab or exchange.

You could try changing your wireless channel. Start off with 1, 6 & 11. See if it's any faster.

by Bilbo42 Contributor
Contributor

I've changed wireless to channel 1 to see what effect, if any, there is. Where you advise I have a very slow throughput, where should I be looking to see this? Is changing the wireless channel the only option to improve this, or are there other options? (I was slightly confused why changing wireless channel would help as all tests I've done are on wired network).

Cheers

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Sorry, I'll take that back about wireless. I forgot it was a wired speedtest.

You could try changing the port on the router or even the Ethernet cable in case 1 or other is faulty.

You are looking for a speedtest of about 18 Meg.

by Bilbo42 Contributor
Contributor

I ran the previous speed tests connected to the internet using TP Link PoE adapters, connecting the computer directly to the router gave me just over 18Mb/s with burst of just over 21Mb/s, so I assume some of the speed loss is due to the TP Link system I'm using. 

Cheers

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.