by robolist
Explorer

PC wifi only 9Mbps, but phone 40Mbps in same room

I'm struggling to receive a decent wifi speed on my desktop PC. Assuming its the wireless adaptor that is the problem because I have a good speed on my phone when in the same room. 

I've tried adding a wifi booster but to no avail. 

I guess I should buy a new USB wifi adaptor for my PC. Can anyone recommend a good one? Alternatively, are there any other solutions perhaps? 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by robolist
Explorer
Solution

Re: PC wifi only 9Mbps, but phone 40Mbps in same room

Its a USB adaptor. I just ordered a new one from Amazon and now I'm getting much better speeds. 

Thanks for your help 

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@robolist  Is the adapter in a USB 3 port or a USB 2 port ?  If it’s in a USB 2 port then the speed will be impacted because it’s only a USB 2 port and USB 2 port have a  rough max speed of 480Mbps if that and it’s more around 320Mbps. You’ll be better of using a USB 3 port if you have one as you’ll get around 5Gbps.  The USB port is the issue it might be worth looking at a WiFi card to go inside the PC instead.   

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Is the wireless adapter on a USB port or on a PCI card slot inside the PC? How many bands does it have? Which wireless adapter is it? Have a look at Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections / WiFi / Properties.

Which router have you?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by robolist
Explorer
Solution

Its a USB adaptor. I just ordered a new one from Amazon and now I'm getting much better speeds. 

Thanks for your help 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.