Highlighted
by slickric21 Contributor
Contributor

Ordered Fibre Max 2 - got a couple of questions

Hi there,

Gfast has recently been enabled on my exchange so i decided to take the plunge and order "Fibre Max 2" from EE.

Currently with Plusnet Fibre on 80/20.

1)As I've got one of the earlier MK2 VDSL face-plates, will the OR Engineer who is coming to do the GFast installation install one of the new GFast face-plates and is this included in the £25 setup fee i have paid ?

2)Will I be supplied with an OR GFast modem and EE Smart Hub, or is it just the EE Smart Hub now ?

( My Current setup is an OR fibre modem to a Asus RT-AC86U. Ideally i want to keep the Asus as my router as its setup how i like it)

Setup date is 3/05/19.

I have been very excited about this until I have today read some of the experiences on this forum from other users who have taken Fibre Max 2. Not getting anywhere near quoted speeds etc etc.

Anyway fingers crossed !!!

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by DaveLister Established Contributor
Established Contributor
Solution

Re: Ordered Fibre Max 2 - got a couple of questions

Had an engineer install of Fibre Max 1 back in March, also for £25. This included a new face plate, a new white OR modem to replace the old 80MB one, that looks identical, and a new Smart router posted separately by EE. My old face plate was only a few years old but the engineer replaced it anyway to get full speeds. I am getting 128Mbits consistently and 140Mbits if I plug straight into the router. I am about 300 meters from the cabinet. I am using Gbit Powerline as even 5GHz wireless does not give full speed.

9 REPLIES 9
by Grand Master
Grand Master

1. No, any BT removeable faceplate master socket, incl. the original NTE5A, will do for the current crop of Fibre.
  2. Yes, you will receive an OR G.Fast modem and EE SH.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

I'm lead to believe from other research that a new Face-plate is generally installed for  GFast service. One that is specific to GFast and provides filtering up to 106mhz, vs 30mhz on a standard VDSL face-plate.

Here is a link to one

https://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/adsl-vdsl-faceplates/g-fast-openreach-faceplate/

Surely Openreach are providing these face-plates ?

Don't really want to spend £35 myself on a piece of kit that is required to get the best out of the service i'm signing up to !!

If not it may explain the generally poor reviews in this forum of the Fibre Max/GFast service !!

P.S. So if the GFast Modem (Huawei MT992) is supplied, then that makes it easy to carry on using my own router. Are EE ok with this, do they provide logon info readily ?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

I'm aware that there is a special G.Fast faceplate but don't believe EE is using it, anymore than BT is with their new BT "Ultrafast" Smart Hub X. Still if EE are doing it you'll get it.

EE permit the use of your own router. In Home Broadband settings you'll find almost everything you need to set up your own router.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Contributor

Brilliant thanks for the info.

I will install one of the new GFast face-plates prior to the switch over date then just for piece of mind !!!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance.

Contributor

I've just stumbled across this thread

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Broadband-home-phone/EE-Fibre-Max-2-Installation-Review-G-fast/m-p/711...

The user here states that his engineer installed the new GFast face-plate for him.

I think i'll hold off ordering my own as it looks like they will install this for you !!!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Those were early days. I think it will depend on whether you get a self-install or an OR eng comes along.

Contributor

I’ve got an engineer appointment for the 3rd of May.

My GFast availability is flagged as ‘’Amber’ on the checker so I believe that requires an OR engineer to come and install.

Also I thought based on your other replies that EE use the OR Modem + EE Smart Hub combo.

This would not likely be a self install, as it’s using an OR modem.

Self install is usually reserved for the Modem/Router 1 device setups.

Do EE even offer a self install option for GFast (Fibre Max) ?

by DaveLister Established Contributor
Established Contributor
Solution

Had an engineer install of Fibre Max 1 back in March, also for £25. This included a new face plate, a new white OR modem to replace the old 80MB one, that looks identical, and a new Smart router posted separately by EE. My old face plate was only a few years old but the engineer replaced it anyway to get full speeds. I am getting 128Mbits consistently and 140Mbits if I plug straight into the router. I am about 300 meters from the cabinet. I am using Gbit Powerline as even 5GHz wireless does not give full speed.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.