by reasonableman Investigator
Investigator

Online gaming connection timeout

I'm trying to play an online game but I consistently get 'Connection timed out' errors. I believe that, as a Steam game, it uses the steam P2P ports. Technical suggestions from the game forums suggest that this error usually occurs due to a router problem. I've done some trouble shooting so far:

• Everything works fine if I connect via mobile hotspot. This suggests that the problem lies between the router and the internet connection.
  • I have EE Fibre and a smarthub, I've tried port forwarding and putting the computer in the DMZ. These did not work (and I could not see the ports open on ShieldsUp!).
  • upnp have been enabled and disabled. Same issue.

Any help would be gratefully recieved.

13 REPLIES 13
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Online gaming connection timeout

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

If you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do not restart your router to do these tests:

1. Post your full router stats.

For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings/ System/ DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page.

For a SmartHub: login and go to Advanced Settings/ Technical Log/ Information.

Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

2. Try a wired speedtest, using an Ethernet cable supplied with the router, here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html . Click on the "Results Page" button at the bottom of the graph you first see and then copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link that you see below the next main graph.

3. What exchange are you connected to? If you don't know use: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search and post the URL of your exchange page.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Cut and paste of router stats. 

Product name:Smart Hub
Serial number:+EEH001+1844013011
Firmware version:v0.00.24.06190-EE
Firmware updated:Your Firmware has not been updated.
Board version:01
DSL uptime:0 Days, 3 Hours, 28 Mins, 1 Secs
Data rate:10.00 Mbps / 40.00 Mbps
Maximum data rate:20.83 Mbps / 67.21 Mbps
Noise margin (up/down):12.6 / 13.9
Line attenuation (up/down):21.1 / 14.8
Signal attenuation (up/down):20.9 / 14.8
Data sent / received:87.7 MB / 1.3 GB
Broadband username:XXXXX1.orangehome.co.uk@fs
2.4 GHz wireless network name:EE-Hub-CJx9
2.4 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel 11)
5 GHz wireless network name:EE-Hub-CJx9
5 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel 40)
Wireless security:WPA2
Wireless mode:Mode 1
Firewall:Default
MAC address:XX:XXX:XX
Software variant:-
Boot loader: 0.0.3-EE (Mon Dec 4 17:32:53 2017)

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Your BB looks fine. You are getting top speeds for your package.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

I have no issues with the general performance of the internet. It is this specific issue regarding connection to game servers that is the problem.

Diagnosis is difficult as the error message is of little insight.

But my understanding is that if I use port forwarding that port should appear open when scanned?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Are you running a game server on your PCs that others need to remotely connect to?

Investigator

I think so...there is limited documentation on what is actually going on but the game does not provide servers and I believe relies on P2P connections. If I host a game I get messages that people try to connect but they always fail. Similarly, I cannot connect to other people (but an ingame browser does find the games).

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, it sounds like you are running your own server & need to port forward its ports.

What does ShieldsUP! report the status of your server's ports when you use its User-Specified Custom Port Probe ?

Investigator

Port

Status
Protocol and Application

Stealth
nat-stun-port
Simple Traversal of UDP Through NAT (STUN) port

Stealth
Unknown Protocol for this port
Unknown Application for this port

Stealth
Unknown Protocol for this port
Unknown Application for this port

These are the ports I have set-up port forwarding for and the response from ShieldsUp!

I also note that when I go to the ShieldsUp homepage it says 'Your Internet connection has no Reverse DNS'

Some more testing has found that when connecting through a VPN I do have a reverse DNS and the game works...

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Your port fowarding is not working.

EE public IPs aren't given a reverse DNS.

Investigator

I thought that was to case - good to get confirmation. It's definately set-up in the router, other than a faulty router, are there any other possible causes for it not working?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Are you saying the port forwarding is working over VPN? What statuses does ShieldsUp! give over VPN?

Investigator

I checked this and ShieldsUp! gives the same result when on the VPN (i.e. all 'stealth').

I checked and I can both host and join servers on the VPN so I'm pretty stuck as to the root cause...

by Grand Master
Grand Master

In which case, I don't think port forwarding comes into it. I bet if you removed port forwarding you'd still get the same results. I'm guessing your game uses P2P which does not need port forwarding but I don't know much about. How do other gamers find out where to go when you are hosting a game?

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.