by Te_Tyn
Explorer

Online game lag when any other device is online

Hi all,

Wondering if you can help.

Whenever another device that isn't my PC is using the internet, when I am gaming on the PC, the ping fluctuates wildly. This is typically when they are streaming. However, we have around 76Mbps up and 18Mbps down, so this should not be an issue, with one device streaming Netflix.

The phone rep put this down to a 'rain or shine' issue, but this isn't a good enough response for me. I am unable to play online whilst someone else is streaming, and we have to pick one activity or the other.

I am an IT Tech by trade, so I have tried many a different fix, including:-

-QoS Rules on the Bright Box 2

-Bandwith Control Rules on the Bright Box 2

-Buying a 3rd party router only and using this for networking.

-Buying a 3rd party router and modem and trying this.

-Flipping devices between wired and wireless

-Factory resets

-Firmware updates

-New filters supplied by EE on the phone sockets

I was wondering if anyone else has experiened this before, on EE. The streaming devices and the computer have also been tested on a different broadband supplier at a different house, and do not suffer from the same issue. I would call an engineer out, but i'm not even sure what they can do for us at this point.

Any help would be appreciated!

9 REPLIES 9
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Online game lag when any other device is online

This is an issue within your own LAN. No BB eng will help configure your LAN.

When you tried Bandwidth Controls did you try putting the other devices on a separate VLAN?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Te_Tyn
Explorer

Yes, I tried that. 😞

My confusion is where I have tried it on a third party provider, and that it worked without these issues. Surely the fault does lie somewhere with EE hub/infrastructure from my house to the exchange? Or do I have a misunderstanding here?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Could be to do with the other ISP's Traffic Management prioritising streaming. EE don't Traffic Manage in this way. Who is the other ISP?

I still think Bandwidth Control & QOS are the best ways to do your own Traffic Management.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Te_Tyn
Explorer

Tried it on a Sky setup. Didn't have to do anything special in the controls, when the Smart TV or Chromecast was streaming, the game ping didn't change at all.

When i've tried the same on EE, the ping jumps from 20-110 continuously.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Umm! Sky Fibre don't Traffic Manage either.

by Te_Tyn
Explorer

I'm completely stumped. Any suggestions on what I should try next? Thanks for your swift responses by the way!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

So am I! Only what I've already suggested.

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of some assistance.

by Te_Tyn
Explorer

I've tried them both, though :(.

by
EE Community Team

Hi @Te_Tyn,

Welcome to the community 🙂

I would suggest giving our customer care team a call to see if they can help you further on your connection.

Let us know how you get on once you have spoken to them.

Alex 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.