Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Not Receiving Minimum Fibre Broadband Speeds

Hi,

I was reluctant to call EE proper given the pandemic, however there's currently no live chat for broadband problems.

I have Fiber Plus broadband, and I am not getting the speeds I should be. In the 'My Broadband' section of the website, it says I should expect a minimum of 39.8 Mb/s.

https://i.imgur.com/azkYPYJ.jpg

azkYPYJ

However, the speed recorded in the router's technical log is 35 Mb/s, as shown here:

Product nameEE Smart Hub
Serial number 
Firmware versionv0.04.02.09120-EE (Thu Sep 12 18:15:40 2019)
Board version1
Data sent / received127.4 MB / 958.3 MB
DSL uptime0 days 0 Hours 27 Mins 41 Secs
Data rate19.92 Mbps/35.00 Mbps
Maximum Data rate20.0 Mbps/55.2 Mbps
Noise margin (up/down)6.1/9.3
Line attenuation (up/down)19.6/17.4
Signal attenuation (up/down)19.5/17.4
Broadband username 
2.4 GHz wireless network nameEE-Hub-u57R
2.4 GHz wireless channelChannel: 11
5 GHz wireless network name 
5 GHz wireless channelChannel: 48
Wireless SecurityWPA
Wireless modeMode 1
FirewallDefault
MAC address 
Software variant-
Boot loader 0.0.3-EE (Mon Dec  4 17:32:53 2017)

And an online speed test using an Ethernet connection shows even slower speeds of 28.7 Mb/s:

https://imgur.com/izQpTle.jpg

Screenshot_20200524160857.jpg

The output for the Broadband Availability Checker for my phone line is shown here:

https://imgur.com/Jxhl5PP.jpg 

line.png

In all cases the router was plugged into the hidden master socket.

Also, a quiet line test with a landline phone resulted in a constant, soft, static sound (not sure if that's good?).

Is it possible that there is a problem with the line? Or is this simply the best I can expect with EE?

Thanks in advance.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Not Receiving Minimum Fibre Broadband Speeds

Well done for doing all the diagnostic steps necessary w/out being asked 🙂 .

No, you should be getting much faster speeds.

Report the noise to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Well done for doing all the diagnostic steps necessary w/out being asked 🙂 .

No, you should be getting much faster speeds.

Report the noise to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

View solution in original post

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Thanks for the quick reply. It's good to know that you think there's a fault.

My phone line is actually with EE as well. I'll give the help desk a call tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be able to get this sorted out.

Cheers.

Highlighted
by Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

Shoud be an easy fix

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

I phoned the help line. They've arranged to have an engineer come out to try and fix the line in two days, which is great.

They ran some sort of tests over the phone. But the audio from the customer service person kept cutting out, so it was difficult to follow what she was saying. She may have said they passed? I'm not sure.

She then told me that if I'm unhappy with my broadband speed I could upgrade to fiber plus, despite me already having fiber plus. Then she said that they probably couldn't do anything for the broadband because I'm getting 35Mb/s into the router, which is above the 32.4Mb/s guaranteed speed. I told her that my "Minimum Fiber Download Speed" is given as 39.8 Mb/s online. But apparently that doesn't matter.

Hopefully the engineer will be able to sort things out when he comes. Else I'll probably have to see about changing provider.

Highlighted
by
EE Community Support Team

Fingers crossed the engineer sorts it out for you, @LaurenceByrne.

Let us know how they get on.

Chris

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

That's the engineer been out, and things are miles better.

He said he ran a load of tests and had a fiddle around at the cabinet. Now there's no static on the line, and the speed in the router's technical log has went up from 35 Mb/s to 54 Mb/s. Also the noise margin has went down from 6.1/9.3 to 6.0/6.1

Well pleased!

Highlighted
by
EE Community Support Team

That's brilliant to hear, @LaurenceByrne. 😄

Thanks for coming back to tell us.

Chris

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.