by Hannahxx
Explorer

No wifi signal in bedroom ?

Read more
Iv recently joined EE wifi and I can't get a signal in my bedroom. I live in a 2 bedroom flat that's all on one level does anyone know why this is ? 
6 REPLIES 6
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: No wifi signal in bedroom ?

@Hannahxx  The flat construction is blocking the wi-Fi signal try relocating the router. 

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

WiFi range is a black art. There are a few things you can do.

I presume you have a BrightBox router?  Is it BrightBox1 or 2?

The router poisition is important - it needs to be high, away from TVs and if possible it should be connected to your BT master socket. If you move it and run off a phone extension then it performs less well.

If there are solid walls or metal between the Router and the device trying to pick up wifi then that restricts, so moving the router a little way to left or right, or up can make a difference.

Next you need to check the channel it is on. In the Router settings it will be channel 1,6,11 or any inbetween. If you select auto it can select the best.   If you can see on your smartphone loads of wifi signals from neighbours then that congestion can reduce the speed and possibly range. So you do need to see if others use the same channel.. and then change.

Some devices can handle 5GHz band (normally you use 2.4GHz).  iPhones can use 5GHz, PS4s can not.   2.4 has the best range, 5 has the better ultimate speed but with a compromise on range.  I would stick to 2.4GHz.

You can improve wifi range by getting a better router - I use a Netgear and it is probably 30% better than a Brightbox.  

You can extend the range by installing a £20 range extender... that re-broadcasts the signal to give better wifi in poor areas.  You can extend the router with a long ethernet cable into the not-spots of the flat by fitting a second router and using that as an extender.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

or you can use Powerline plugs.. 2 plugs that connected via the mains suppy in your flat.  Plug one into mains socket next to router (and connect it with an ethernet lead to the router), and the other in your bedroom.  The bedroom one will then have internet connection available - either as a wired cable output, or with some Powerlines, a wifi rebroadcast to log on to wirelessly in the bedroom.

You can have more than 2 plugs, the speed is not too bad, and they are cheap.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You could purchase a  WiFi Hotspot Kit from the EE accessories store.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Employee

Hi @Hannahxx and welcome to the community.

Let us know how you get on after following the brilliant advice above.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Grand Master
Grand Master

What device are you using in the bedroom?

Don't worry if your channel coincides with your neighbours. WiFi sorts it out. The problems occur when you partially overlap.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.