by ajalexander
Visitor

No support for wifi

We've had an issue with our broadband connectivity since we joined EE in February. Up until recently customer service has been very helpful. Our issue has been escalated twice and whilst the speed coming into the router is now stable we still have frequent internet drop outs, no internet available; problems with broadband connectivity (Sky Q) etc. EE attribute this to a wifi problem and a throughput problem.

Throughput they say is not their problem it is BT. As far as I am concerned our contract is with EE not BT so EE need to resolve the problem with BT. 

Secondly we have just been informed, that as per Ofcom guidelines, EE does not support wifi issues. Apparently no ISP has to support wifi. I can find nothing to say this on their website, in fact they state "if you have trouble with your wifi signal or connection we are here to help".

it sounds like a cop out to me and they don't know how to fix this problem. I should point out that we were with BT prior to this and we never had wifi connection issues.

I'll contact Ofcom in the morning but any info gratefully received meantime. It seems ridiculous that in this day and age of wireless technology that any ISP can say they won't support wifi.

5 REPLIES 5
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: No support for wifi

@ajalexander wrote:

Throughput they say is not their problem it is BT. As far as I am concerned our contract is with EE not BT so EE need to resolve the problem with BT.

Correct! Any issue with your BB is EE's responsibility. BT may be the wholesaler of the BB but you are buying it from EE.

@ajalexander wrote:

EE does not support wifi issues. Apparently no ISP has to support wifi. 

EE may help you with your WiFi issues but it is your own wireless LAN. ISPs cannot legislate for the fabric & dimensions of your building. It is the ISP's responsibility to provide a reliable BB connection at the Sync speed your line is capable of +  a reliable router. Beyond that it is all yours. So unless the router is faulty the ISP cannot be responsible for WiFi issues. Wireless is never dependable; Ethernet is to be preferred. However attributing your BB issues to WiFi is flaky.

OFCOM will not deal with individual complaints. EE have a standard Complaints Process you must use before escalating it.

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

If you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do not restart your router to do these tests:

1. Post your full router stats. For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings/ System/ DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page. Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

2. Try both a wired & a wireless speedtest here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html and copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link.

3. What exchange are you connected to? If you don't know use: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search and post the URL of your exchange page.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi, 

If you are using Sky Q you need to use powerline adapters to your box from your router rather than WiFi as this provides better performance if you are no longer using the SkyQ*router. If you want to use wireless then invest in a good wireless access point such as this one and disable the WiFi on your router (which is poor anyway). 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Northerner wrote:

the WiFi on your router (which is poor anyway). 

I dispute that. I get a good WiFi signal in every nook & cranny of a large house.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @ajalexander

Thank you for coming to see us in community 🙂

I can see you have been asked questions and given advice by both @XRaySpeX and @Northerner.

In the interim before you have a chance to respond the the guys, I would advise to have a look at our ways to complain if you are not happy with any service you have encountered.

Thanks

Richard

🙂

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Firstly EE CS are fobbing you off.   Is it a throughput issue or a wifi issue?  They are two different issues.  Wifi issues can be loads of causes and that is really down to you to diagnose - with help from google and here.  Throughput issues is one of two things - the BT line to your master socket (BT's responsibility but EE must action it) or the Master socket and your home network (your responsibility and this will need troubleshooting).

So first thing is to supply the stats that XRaySpex is asking to pin down where the problem is.

Get the line status first, then troubleshoot the master socket, then disable wifi - and once all that is working fine you can look at wifi (If you have run the network entirely on wired connections to devices and all your problems go away then that is an indication that wifi is the cause)

It is too early to involve ofcom - you don't know where the issue is yet.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.