by Warpig Investigator
Investigator

New user, got issues already, could use some advice please.

Hi all, I’ve been with EE for three days, switched from Sky because they said they could drop my bill from £102 per month with Sky to £38 with EE for pretty much the same deal. Anyway the switch over went fine and the first two days were no problem, speed was good and all was good, however today we have had several disconnections and the speed has been ridiculously slow. My sync speed with Sky has been a rock solid 66mb for several years but as you can see from the attached pics I’m getting nowhere near that from EE. Anyone have any thoughts? I was told by the person who signed me up that there was no traffic management with EE, is that correct? Thank you guys.

5320B4DA-82BC-45C3-A4AA-DDA9803E8C34.pngFB3CB5D0-3420-49F7-8CFC-A42E4E660C71.jpeg

15 REPLIES 15
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: New user, got issues already, could use some advice please.

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

There is no TM with EE. If there were your sync speed would be much higher while your throughput was low. No, it's something else.

If you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do not restart your router to do these tests:

1. Post your full router stats.

For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings/ System/ DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page.

For a SmartHub: login and go to Advanced Settings/ Technical Log/ Information.

Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

2. Try a wired speedtest, using an Ethernet cable supplied with the router, here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html . Click on the "Results Page" button at the bottom of the graph you first see and then copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link that you see below the next main graph.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thank you, @David, for removing that.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Warpig Investigator
Investigator

E9C78F5A-344C-43D6-90FE-7BF2F450D55B.png

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks. There's some evidence of your profile being banded as a result of errors detected on your line.

You say it only started today. Has any work been done on your line or in the neighbourhood by OR engs recently?

Reboot the router & try plugging it into the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws or press tabs) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets in the home even if unused? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate of master socket?

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (dial 17070 Opt 2), preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report it to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

Post the full router stats when plugged into test socket.

Is the issue any better?

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

What are all EE's speed estimates given in your MyEE for BB under Your broadband speed ?

by Warpig Investigator
Investigator

Hi mate, these are the speeds I was quoted when I signed up 

88496669-846D-4DB9-88D4-FC8E5C82E244.png

by
EE Community Support Team

Good Morning @Warpig

Welcome to the community. 

If you've just joined EE or recently moved home it takes up to ten days for the speed and stability of your broadband to settle down. 

Do you use your landline? if yes, is this running ok? 

Speak soon, Katie 🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks. Have you done the test socket & QLT?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Linky don't compute! Too many https's. Corrected:

@Katie_B wrote:

speed and stability of your broadband to settle down. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Katie_B: The 10 day settlement period is an urban myth & does not explain why it ran OK for 2 days as fast as it was on previous ISP & on the 3rd day shot down to below the min. guaranteed speed. The DLM is running continuously, not just for 10 days.

by Warpig Investigator
Investigator

Never use the land line but just checked and it’s fine.

Sent from my iPad
by Warpig Investigator
Investigator

Hi Katie, thank you for your reply, I agree 100% with you, the 10 day period is a nonsense. As I said originally I’ve been synced at 66mb for several years with Sky and only changed because EE said they could do the same deal for a lot less money. I don’t understand how I’ve got the same wires from the same exchange yet I’ve gone from 66 to 12mb which it is currently connected at.
Regards Brian J.

Sent from my iPad
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Warpig

Thanks for coming back to me. 

Have you spoke with our technical team who can look at this further?

Katie 🙂

by Warpig Investigator
Investigator

Speaking to them now 🙂

Sent from my iPad
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Warpig: It was I who said the 10 day period is a nonsense.

The DLM system has put you on a banded profile in response to past detected errors on your line. You normally need to give the DLM time to relent & remove any banding.

However in this case your sync speed is well below EE's Min. Guaranteed Speed & BT's Handback Threshold; in fact it is only about a quarter of them. When speaking to EE you should emphasis this & insist that they pull their fingers out & fix it ASAP. Give them no more than a week or you'll leave FoC.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.