by xtab

New Subscriber, Can't get Broadband on the laptop

My daughter just switched to EE.  Her Samsung laptop (Model NP300) got the internet perfectly with the previous supplier, Virgin.

The incoming signal to the house is good because both her boys' desktop PCs get broadband fine.

In fact, she can see the EE connection if she clicks on the WiFi Bar icon in the bottom right hand corner.  But clicking the Conect button for EE in the WiFi dialog box just brings a "Can't connect" message and the standard invitation to troubleshoot.  As always the end result of following those dialogs is the suggestion to contact the system administrator.

She spent an age on the phone with Customer Services, during which they tried several things.  This included hard wiring to the router but with no success.

At the end of the call she was told that there's a setting on this laptop that needs fixing and that she should go to Currys or PC World and have it fixed.

Now it can't be the WiFi function key because the laptop worked wirelessly just fine before the switch.  And we've established that the signal is there.

She didn't understand exactly what change needs to be made, but I'm sure it can't be major - although Curry's bill might be if she took it in!

I've google searched for this problem and didn't get a single hit, which kinda surprised me as she felt she was being told that it was a common issue with this particular laptop.

I'm trying to solve this at long distance - as we live 200 miles apart.  I'm reasonably good with computers, but not sure where to start with this problem.

Can anyone help with advice?  Heard of it before?  Know what the magic bullet solution is?

Her laptop is running Windows 7 Pro.  She can upgrade to Win 8 if that would resolve the issue but this isn't something the customer services rep suggested.

Any help at all would be mightily appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: New Subscriber, Can't get Broadband on the laptop

@xtab wrote:

In fact, she can see the EE connection if she clicks on the WiFi Bar icon in the bottom right hand corner.

What does it say against it? "Connected", "Limited Connection" or what?

List all the entries under Network in File Explorer' RH pane.

Try disabling uPnP in router.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.