by Del1 Investigator
Investigator

New EE Smart Hub allows Apple devices to connect to Wifi speaker but not others

I changed from an EE Brightbox router to an EE SMart Hub router and all wifi devices reconnected including my Pioneer SMA3 wifi speaker.  However only my Apple devices can play music to my Pioneer speaker (via Airplay?). My Android phone cannot see the Pioineer speaker on the network. When I switch back to the EE Brightbox all is ok. There would appear to be a setting in the Smart Hub which is preventing the Pioneer speaker connecting for non Aiplay devices. Any ideas would be gratefully received.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Del1 Investigator
Investigator
Solution

Re: New EE Smart Hub allows Apple devices to connect to Wifi speaker but not oth

I had already tried separating the channels and I also tried switching off the 5GHz band. The good news is I managed to connect my Pioneer SMA3 speaker to non-Apple devices by selecting Wifi Mode 2 on the Smart Hub which apparently can be more suitable to older wifi devices. It connected immediately. Many thanks for your interest and suggestion.

8 REPLIES 8
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: New EE Smart Hub allows Apple devices to connect to Wifi speaker but not oth

@Del1 : There is some suspicion of AP separation between the 2.4 & 5 GHz wireless bands of the EE SH. I suspect in your case that the speaker & Apples are connecting to 1 band & the Droids to the other.

You need to separate the wireless channels. On the Wireless Settings page of the SH there is a button near the top to Separate the SSIDs (or some such name). Turn it ON. Then the 5GHz SSID will appear starting with "5GHz-" & the 2.4 GHz SSID not starting with "5GHz-". Then ensure the speaker & the devices you want to connect to it all use the same SSID.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Why not put the BB2 back in? The EE SH is functionally much weaker. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

@Del1

Welcome to the community. 🙂

Did separating the channels help, as @XRaySpeX suggested?

Chris

by Del1 Investigator
Investigator
Solution

I had already tried separating the channels and I also tried switching off the 5GHz band. The good news is I managed to connect my Pioneer SMA3 speaker to non-Apple devices by selecting Wifi Mode 2 on the Smart Hub which apparently can be more suitable to older wifi devices. It connected immediately. Many thanks for your interest and suggestion.

by
EE Community Support Team

Brilliant news, thanks for letting us know, @Del1 😄

Chris

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Well. done! That was my next suggestion 😊.

Out of interest, is that still with the 5GHz band disabled or, if not, are some devices connecting to 5GHz & some to 2.4 GHz?

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance & it is now sorted.

by Del1 Investigator
Investigator

Both bands all fully operational although I've left them separated at the moment. My 5GHz devices connected to the 5GHz band automatically and my 2.4GHz devices to the 2.4GHz band. Having said that they no doubt connected automatically as these were the bands I had selected on the various devices for my previous Brightbox router, especially as when I setup the new Smart Hub router I changed the wireless network name and password to match that of the Brightbox. Thus saving the time to log on multiple devices when the new router was introduced. I have not seen any problems operating devices across the two bands.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Good! I should leave the bands separated.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.