by AlfieB94 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Network Problems in the Yate, South Glos area

Ive been having problems recently with my EE Fibre Broadband service / Brightbox 2 router whick keeps dropping connections.

When I check the Network status it comes back with the reason being there is a fault in my area and BT are working to fix it. 

A BT engineer came and checked my setup at home back at the end of May and said that that was OK but the problem still happens.

Has anyone got any thoughts on my problem ??

71 REPLIES 71
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: Network Problems in the Yate, South Glos area

Good Morning @AlfieB94

Welcome to the community.

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with your broadband, how long has this been happening for?

Were you given an estimated timescale for the fault in your area being fixed?

Hope to hear back from you soon.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

If you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do not restart your router to do these tests:

1. Post your full router stats.

For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings/ System/ DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page.

For a SmartHub: login and go to Advanced Settings/ Technical Log/ Information.

Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

2. Try a wired speedtest, using an Ethernet cable supplied with the router, here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html . Click on the "Results Page" button at the bottom of the graph you first see and then copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link that you see below the next main graph.

3. What exchange are you connected to? If you don't know use: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search and post the URL of your exchange page.

4. What does BT Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Established Contributor

Hi there

To be honest I’ve been having problems with my broadband /internet connection since around late May. During that time I lost my router connection for a week. EE sent a BT engineer to my property to check my wiring to the master BT socket. This proved OK but he suggested that I contact EE to arrange a new router to be sent. I did this and was told that there was nothing wrong with the router it just need some changes. I had to make these changes whilst the EE technician told me what to do. This I did but in the end it did not work so we put the router back to how it was originally set. Since then my Broadband / WIFI connection hasn’t worked properly. I’ve contacted EE on many occasions to report poor or no connections.

I’ve used the EE Network Status Checker on numerous occasions and the latest this afternoon tells me that they are still working on a fault. I’ve attached a screen shot of it. I’ve also attached screen shots taken from my PC’s Network Sharing Centre. This shows my WiFi status which you can see is only showing 2 bars and also something new called a Local Area Connection-16 Status which I haven’t got a clue what it is because its only just appeared in the past week.

EE sent me a new router and that still gives the same results.
I really don’t know what work BT are carrying out but all I know is that ever since they commenced it I’ve had poor connections.
I don’t get any problems with my landline.

Regards

AlfieB

Sent from Mail for Windows 10
Established Contributor

16-07-2018 Screenshot (4).pngScreenshot (19).pngEE Network Status Checker today

by
EE Employee

Hi @AlfieB94

The network status checker does not hold any information for broadband issues.

If you follow the steps that @XRaySpeX has provided, he may be able to diagnose an issue.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Grand Master
Grand Master

There are no changes you ever need to make to a router just to get the BB working. The only changes you would need to make would be for your own local networking purposes & EE wouldn't be concerned in that.

I'm afraid I'm unable to comment further on your issue w/out knowing the characteristics of your line from the info I requested rather than screenshots of the state of your PC.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks, @Lee_H, I thought it didn't but was waiting to see OP's image to deny it as I couldn't be sure what status checker the OP was using.

So the whole business of BT working on a fault in the area has nowt to do with this.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

I wish someone would tell EE CS to stop trying to improve users' WiFi when it is the basic BB that is not working.

Established Contributor

Hi there thank you for your support. To be honest Ive not looked at your suggestions yet, This is because I'm still trying to get things clear in my head, because I'm even more confused now as to where or what my problem is. 

I've attached two screen shots from my PC Control Panel Network and Sharing Centre. One shows my wifi and the other is something new which has just apperared in the last couple of days. I dont even know what its for?

If you look at the wifi image you will see that the signal seem yo be very week and this evening I'm finding that wifi appears to keep disconnecting. EE Customer Service dont seem to be able to give me an answer when it will be sorted. At the moment their only suggestion is to send another BT engineer alomg to my home. Well they did that a few weeks ago and they said there was noyjing wrong with their set up.

Best wishes

Screenshot (20).pngWiFi StatusScreenshot (21).png??? What is this??

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, it's confirmed that that network status report relates only to EE's mobile network & that EE, not BT, is looking into it. So you can forget that.

Looks like you have your PC connected to the BB (& the Net) by both Ethernet & WiFi. Not a good idea!

What does Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections show? Is MIKEB*****0115 your PC's Computer Name?

What does the command ipconfig /all show, obscuring your names & MACs?

However this is a secondary issue which we could look into later once we have investigated your BB connection. So I would appreciate seeing all the data I requested.

By going down your own route you are not clearing your head but confusing it if you can't interpret what you see. Please give us what we ask for & leave the interpretation to us.

Established Contributor

I’ve already done a Wi-Fi speed test so that should do. I’ll send that first?

Also noted your comments re posts so I’ll give it a go and see how we get on.

Probably easier to do it a section at a time?
Regards

Sent from my iPhone
Established Contributor

FW: Your EE Community subscription

Dear XRaySpeX

Just to let you know I’ve started going through your original email gathering as much information as you asked for. The only thing I can’t do at the moment is to do a test using the ethernet cable into my Brightbox 2. I cant use my PC as its too heavy for me to get it down near the router, so I need to get a laptop.

The other problem is that I didn’t have a clue on how copy the other information but at the moment I’ve taken Screen shots of every thing I’ve looked at. TBH I could probably send it to you by email which would be easier for me. Perhaps you’d let me know what I should do, I can give you my email address .

In your latest post you mentioned about me being connected to both Ethernet & WIFI and you say not a good thing. Sorry just cant see that,

The other thing you asked is what is my PC name.?? Its MIKEBIDWELL. Ive got a screen shot of that as well??

Best wishes

AlfieB94

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: 28 July 2018 08:38
To: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Your EE Community subscription

My EE
Shop
Help
Why EE

Hello AlfieB94,
XRaySpeX posted a new reply in Broadband & home phone.
Read it here: Re: Network Problems in the Yate, South Glos area

Here's what they said:

Yes, it's confirmed that that network status report relates only to EE's mobile network & that EE, not BT, is looking into it. So you can forget that.

Looks like you have your PC connected to the BB (& the Net) by both Ethernet & WiFi. Not a good idea!

What does Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections show? Is MIKEB*****0115 your PC's Computer Name?
What does the command ipconfig /all show, obscuring your names & MACs?

However this is a secondary issue which we could look into later once we have investigated your BB connection. So I would appreciate seeing all the data I requested.

By going down your own route you are not clearing your head but confusing it if you can't interpret what you see. Please give us what we ask for & leave the interpretation to us.

Reply | Mark as the solution | Mark as helpful

The EE Community Team

EE Community | Log into My EE | Official EE Help

Manage your EE Community emails or unsubscribe

by Grand Master
Grand Master

If you can't do a wired speedtest than at least do a wireless one.

Sorry, this is a public discussion group. No dialogue is carried out via private email. but only in these posts on the forums (they are not emails).

You could copy & paste the info to your posts or you could insert images.

Established Contributor

Brightbox image 1A.pngBrightbox image 1B.pngBrightbox image 2A.pngBrightbox image 2B.pngHereBrightbox Image 3.png

Established Contributor

Here are the last 3 images I think you requested, Hopefully Ive got them all done??Broadband Availability Checker.pngBroadband Speed Test reults using WiFi.pngUK Exchange Search.png

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Sorry, that is not the correct router stats page.

Please login to your Brightbox and navigate carefully to Advanced Settings/ Accept/ System/ DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page.

Established Contributor

I posted 5 images but it appears 3 didn’t send.
So I’ll post the 3 that failed and fingers crossed you hopefully will get
what you want.
Regards
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks. Can't you just post them by copy & paste? The BT Checker image came out perfectly.

Established Contributor

hopefully this is the information you requestedDSL Status.pngSystem uptime.png

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.